What are people's true thoughts of "strong women"?

Options
I don't get men. I have read on various forums that some men like "muscular/ strong" women. At my gym, men are "scared" of me. Just because I can lift more than 1/2 the guys at the gym or can actually do real pull ups, dips, etc. does not mean I'm "intimidating" or a "bXXch".

Most women don't want to talk to me. Those who do actually realize that I'm pretty nice. I just work out hard. One women "cowarded" away from and moved away from me during kickboxing class. I was not even that close to hitting/ kicking her. I even told her that I can control my kicks and punches and will NEVER hurt her.

I don't think I look intimidating.... I'm 5 feet Size 4 w/ muscular and defined arms and legs. (Abs... another story :(... pregnancies do a number on the abs). I'm pretty "girly" too.. wearing skorts instead of gym shorts etc.

So when did I become the gym bXXch?

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    you didn't.
    They just became gym wimps.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I never realized that the gym was a social place. All these gym posts about people being rude or mean are foreign to me. I don't talk to anyone at the gym. I walk in, scan my card, smile at the desk person because I have my earbuds in and go workout. It's not because I am a b*tch, it's because I am not there to socailize.

Why are you taking this personally?

ETA: I consider myself to be pretty awesome and people don't talk to me either. I never think it's because they think I am scary or intimidating, they are just doing their own thing.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    in my gym the actually fit women are rockstars. constant attention from the meatheads
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" with a fairly strong looking build. I box.
    The women in my class tend to steer clear of me.
    Lots of the men do too.

But you know what? I take it as a compliment. I am strong. When I'm boxing, I look strong, powerful, kick *kitten*, and ALIVE. I also look a little wild, and aggressive, sweaty, and maybe a bit crazed.

Who cares! I FEEL great!

Yes, I intimidate people (they tell me this :laugh:), but their loss, not mine. The ones who take the time to know me, realize that I am gentle and compassionate and loving too. Those ones are the keepers.

Dust the rest off, do your workout, and keep going.

p.s. you do look fantastic
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    in my gym the actually fit women are rockstars. constant attention from the meatheads
    This is the case in most gyms in my area, but I imagine it likely varies from region to region.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you sure this isn't imagined?

What do you mean the men are "scared" of you? How do they show that they are scared?

Perhaps the woman in kickboxing class just thought she was a little too close. Or just prefered to stand closer to someone more at her level of fitness?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Are you sure this isn't imagined?

What do you mean the men are "scared" of you? How do they show that they are scared?

Perhaps the woman in kickboxing class just thought she was a little too close. Or just prefered to stand closer to someone more at her level of fitness?

How do you know any of this for sure?

And why do you expect people to try to talk to you at the gym?
  • don3rd1981
    don3rd1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Strong women look great! But for what ever reason they always look p***ed off at the gyms I go to... I still say hi when I pass them, but rarely get a response. Maybe it's those angry looking strong women that give the rest a bad name. You know, like the stereotypical "meatheads" give any guy with a decent muscle build a bad name.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I am not scared I talk to anyone. But I'm a slut.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I think it is great, and would like to find someone who shares the same passion as myself someday.

I think it's badass when i see chicks deadlifting, squatting etc.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If they're scared of you, then stop chasing them with a knife and beating them up - they'll stop screaming.

Or, perhaps, maybe they're giving you the space you look like you want.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You don't scare me. LOL
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what people think of you?

I live by the quote.. "Be the kind of person you want to meet"

so if you're giving them the stink eye, then people will steer clear of you....no matter the size of muscles.

I dunno..maybe try smiling a little more... a smile will always brighten someones day =)
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    They are strong?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    My guess is that its not how you look or what you lift, but maybe the general vibe about you in not friendly. I dont think any decent guy will be a rude just based on what you lift. They may or may not be into you, but they wouldnt necessarily be rude.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think they are awesome.

No one talks to me at the gym either. I like it. I don't like people.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think strong women are great; they take the pressure off of weak men. Seriously, I think its a great way of life. :wink:

8488541.png
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    ya why do you want to talk at the gym anyway? if you are interested in someone, go say hi with a smile and not with attitude. if they dont want to talk, dont take it personally.

Just lift with a smile. If you have a mean face while you deadlift a gazillion pounds, then you will be the muscle lady. With cats.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba at a dance center and teach at a Curves. Working out with men is a foreign concept to me.

If I want to work out additionally, I do it at home. I'm there to work out, not socialize and preen.

I'm strong in other ways.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sometimes guys will tell you that they're scared of you or intimated by you as a complement. Not sure that is happening in your situation, but I've had it happen to me.