Low carbing -> counting calories... advice

Options
So I have been gaining and losing the same 4-5 pounds for about a month. I can not get beyond where I am at while low carbing. I have lost a ton of weight but it has came to a halt. I am still eating less than 40 carbs a day and drinking around 128oz of water a day. I have even started the couch to 5k program and Met-Rx 180 and still no dice. I'm thinking about switching to counting calories from low carb but not sure if it will wreak havoc on my body or not. Anyone have experience with this transition?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You could just low carb and count cals and slowly bump up cho every week
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I generally low carb and (mainly through illness) have taken a week off to just count calories and let the macros fall where they may so far this week i have still lost weight and not gained like everyone assumes.
    Switch it up for a bit and see how it goes.xx
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you are significantly overeating calories, even if you eat low-carb, you probably won't lose weight. I had good results keeping carbs less than 100 g/day and eating MFP calorie recommendation plus exercise calories. Now I'm using TDEE-15% and keeping carbs 50-75 g/day because I'm got tired of logging every variety of daily exercise (pretty consistent from day to day). TDEE-15% was roughly the same as MFP+exercise calories.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    With large weight loss comes the stall. That is wisdom in truth lol. Your body needs time to adjust. However, you should try to start logging your calories and see what your eating, even if its low carb to see what range your in and see if you need to adjust now that you weigh less your body needs less calories - that whole TDEE MBR thingy?!?! (science, not my strength lol, but logic is) As you weigh less you need less calories and you burn less calories doing the same exercises that you may have done before so in away though low carb is good, you may be at a point that calorie counting will drastically effect your future success and long-term maintenance. As other mentioned you can do both, I do.

As for C25K IT ROCKS! I love it. My only advice is take it slow, dont over exert yourself and redo segments if needed.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'd log your food on a TYPICAL low carb day, no changes whatsoever and see how many calories that is. Then slowly increase your carbs until you're at a maintainable amount while keeping calories constant. Then think about reducing your calories if you're not losing.