Half a mile to half marathon in 4 months?

Options
13»

Replies

• xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Took me 4 months to run my 1st 10km race, I'd never been able to run more than 10 meters before that. You want to run 21km in that time & you can on run 1.6km right now? Yeah good luck. It took me running daily to get to 10km, even when sick, even with shin splints. Good luck with that. You might be able to run half of that distance if you train daily.

yeah, I'm sorry, but that's just not true. everyone is different. I started out "only being able to run two miles" and with regular training I was able to up it to 10km in a couple of weeks. I was able to run ten miles two months after that. And you don't necessarily need to have run 13 miles before the race. if he/she can run 8-10 miles in a couple of months, the half is totally doable. plus, with all the adrenaline and people around you, it's much easier to run that distance than doing it on your own.

OP: i think it's definitely doable. just gotta start right now, and NOT skip any runs. remember to take rest days, of course, but other than that, if you're consistent and passionate about it, then go for it, and good luck!

and even if you do end up having to walk... you know you tried, at least!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have no real opinion whether you can run the entire length of a half marathon in a very short period of time. Good luck.

I was already in pretty good shape, but did other types of cardio (ie. classes, elliptical) before I started running on a treadmill. It took me about 2 years of consistent running before I signed up for my first half. I completed it and I felt great. I have no real desire to do a full anytime soon. I guess all's I'm saying is that being more patient with your progress doesn't mean you're giving up on your life.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just curious to what made you want to do a half marathon when you can only run a half mile now? I can run about 6 miles now and a half marathon intimidates me. Good luck to you! Just think it's a very big goal to pick without steps in between.

Take it from me - if you can run 6 miles you will have no trouble with a half marathon. I ran 10ks for years before trying a half. It's actually not as big a stretch as you might think.

Don't be intimidated. You CAN do it!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a good run/walk training method. John Bingham and Jeff Galloway both have books and online guides detailing this method. Depending on the race, you might be able to do a run/walk the entire time and not worry about speed (beware of the sad wagon picking up the stragglers!). I took a long time getting ready for my first half marathon-partly because I was afraid I couldn't do it. Now that I have done it, I am still realistic about the need to train but I know it can be done.

Run/walk. Don't worry about speed on your first half marathon (or your first 2 or 3). Just get out there and do it! Having a race on your calendar that you have paid for is a great motivator to get out there and put in the training runs!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh, and, if you have 5k and 10k races near you, throw a few of those in with your training. If you have never run a race, the shorter distances will give you a feel for what race day is like. I like to plan a 5k and a 10k that coincide with the miles I need to run on my training plan. They are mini-goals that keep me going in the right direction.

I am lucky to live in Southern California so there are races almost every weekend within a 2 hour drive.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'd like to remind all the naysayers that the OP asked if it was POSSIBLE, and it ABSOLUTELY is! Being careful (walk breaks, following a respected training plan) is entirely different from being scared. Will OP get an amazing time, no, will he/she be hurting afterwards, yes, will he/she also likely not care about the pain because of accomplishing a huge feat, yes again! It's not the ideal plan, but c'mon, be encouraging! It IS possible (and not even all that uncommon!)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'll take Bad Ideas for $300 Alex!

I'm not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to run far without proper training, it never ends well.

This.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your fitness levels. If you are fit in other areas then it won't be so bad, but if you are a beginner it probably isn't the greatest idea, unless you walk some of the half.

Well done on setting the goal though - it's better to set goals that are hard to reach than ones that don't require much effort. Just be cautious of injuries and overtraining. Educate yourself, make sure you fuel your runs appropriately.
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if you are hugely overweight, 340 5'11 male. can currently do 2min run at 4.7 2 min walk for total of 5 reps. what is realistic goal as far as training time, to get to where i could complete a 5k? Anyone start at about my fitness level do it? Im 51 yrs old also. Thanks
  • thebiggreenmachine
    thebiggreenmachine Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to run far without proper training, it never ends well.

I agree 100%!

My question to the OP is, WHY? You will be severely undertrained and you will suffer and that's if the race goes well. If you want to do it, then go ahead and do it, no one can stop you, but just be realistic about the outcome.

I don't understand this 'bucket list' mentality of what seems to be most new runners on MFP to hurry up and complete half and full marathons. I personally don't care if people want to do a half or full as soon as possible, it's their body and they can torture it how ever they want, I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Whatever happened to starting with 5k's and slowly working up to longer distances? If you properly build up to doing longer distances, I can guarantee you'll enjoy the longer races more since you'll suffer less due to being done quicker :)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this, especially if you tell yourself in advance that you'll be okay if you walk parts of it. You probably need to start training pretty seriously right away though and yeah, you'll probably be in some pain during the race, but if you have a good reason for wanting to do it this way, it's definitely possible! I did it because two of my friends suckered me in, but it did get me hooked and now I'm more determined than ever to keep improving.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options

I agree 100%!

My question to the OP is, WHY? You will be severely undertrained and you will suffer and that's if the race goes well. If you want to do it, then go ahead and do it, no one can stop you, but just be realistic about the outcome.

I don't understand this 'bucket list' mentality of what seems to be most new runners on MFP to hurry up and complete half and full marathons. I personally don't care if people want to do a half or full as soon as possible, it's their body and they can torture it how ever they want, I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Whatever happened to starting with 5k's and slowly working up to longer distances? If you properly build up to doing longer distances, I can guarantee you'll enjoy the longer races more since you'll suffer less due to being done quicker :)

I can say I ran my first half as a bucket list..I quit smoking and started running (figured the running would help keep me a non-smoker) I had run/walked one 5K a year prior. I didn't injure myself, but I was SORE afterwards, and what did I do? sign up for another one. 8 months past and I ran my second, then I signed up for my third..and killed my PR by 19 minutes. Why do this as a bucket list? Why not? I also want to sky dive, but I don't plan on jumping off a bridge first...why not aim high, isnt' that what a bucket list is all about. Signing up for races is what got me started on running and what keeps me running, I love going to races and challenging myself... so long as OP and anyone else thinking about running their first half, does the training and sets realistic goals...then go for it!!
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You ran/walked a 5K a *year* before you did your first half marathon, though. You didn't do a half where 4 months prior you couldn't run half a mile.
    t's better to set goals that are hard to reach than ones that don't require much effort.

Running distances less than 13.1 miles takes much effort. A 10K is hardly a day at the beach.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I signed up to a half marathon on the 19th September. I can currently run contiously for half a mile. I don't think I will be ready by the 15th. I want to run the whole thing.

I have got a few practice runs booked on the way. On the 23rd June I am doing a 7 mile run.

Does anyone think this is possible?

Suggestions:

1. Go to your doctor and make sure your body will allow you to put that much stress on it for the length of time
    2. If doctor says OK, check out Runner's World for beginner half marathon training plans
    3. 4 months is plenty of time in most cases
    4. Do you have the right gear?
    a. Are you using shoes that fit your running form, arch, etc.?
    b. What temperature will it be when you run? Do you have sweat wicking gear or gear to keep you from getting too cold?
    5. DO NOT RUSH YOUR TRAINING!!! If you can't follow a training plan's mileage, don't try jumping up multiple miles on your long runs just to "catch up"...you will hurt yourself

Good luck, and as long as you do your homework and put in the time, you will do great!
  • kanuckkim74
    Options
    I'm a new runner, started about a month ago and am training for my first half marathon in May, I feel I need all that time to do it and do it well. I need the training as at the present time I can only run continuously for 3km. I'm hoping that by May (7 months) I can do the half all running. I intend to train hard and thank all my MFP friends for motivating, inspiring and cheering me on. Good luck with your marathon. Train hard and smart :)