Dropping weight too fast???

Options
I started my new healthy workout lifestyle in April, and for the 5 weeks of April I lost an average of one pound per week (yay!!). Lately I've picked up a lot more shifts at work (I'm a server), which requires me to do a lot of walking throughout the day (5-10+km a day).

I've noticed that this past week I've dropped a pound and a half, almost border-line 2 pounds. It's hard to eat at certain times, let alone starve myself. I find myself often dehydrated. And it's hard to eat a super big meal at the end of the night to fill up all the calories my body needs (I still manage to 95% of the time).

So, my concern is, am I dropping weight "too fast"? If I am not eating back the 800-1000 calories I'm burning from the walking at work, will it cause a loss of muscle mass?

Advice please :happy:

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Probably dehydration.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. If you have picked up shifts and become more active, you are bound to lose more. Next week, you may gain two pounds. Overall, you are losing about a pound a week, which is healthy and sustainable!
    Kaye
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should drink more and try to get a snack in there if you can. However, it's not entirely bad that you lose more than 1 pound. Some weeks I can lose up to 3 or 4 pounds. That's usually the week that I put more time in at the gym. Sometimes I eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I don't. I wouldn't stress it too much... Just make sure you are definitely drinking what you need to stay hydrated. I think that's the most important of all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Knowing that you are working more, why don't you just try to eat higher calorie snacks. Cook some foods in EVOO, add cheese to your meals, even drink something like chocolate milk and enjoy the extra calories. Since you have little to lose, i would a bit cautious about fast weight loss because fast weight loss can come from muscle and fat instead of just fat. But dehydration can do that too.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is a really good rate of loss without being too fast. It's recommended that you lose 0.5 to 2 lbs per week when eating at a deficit, and you are well within those guidelines.

Congrats on the success!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Take the loss as a loss but more importantly keep yourself hydrated!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go to work or even take a 5 minute break and eat a higher calorie protein bar. I must say that these are pretty awesome - 405 calories for the big one and the calorie profile is 35% carb, 35% fat, and 30% protein.

http://www.supremeprotein.com/prod-pbj.html

I also like clif builders pretty well and some of the Metrx bars. In a pinch, they are good for extra calories and a decent profile.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    thats not dropping weight to fast
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    anything under 3lbs/week should be nothing to worry about. though it may be dehydration - aka losing water weight. try and drink more:)