This is a photoshop - signed, a graphic artist. (with pics)

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread. Actually feel like I've learnt something on MFP today. Thanks OP.

Me too. Good stuff!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    What a great thread.

Do they photoshop men this way as much as they do women?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's roommate has a Sport's Illustrated calendar from last year. I periodically go through it and change the picture since it's last year's calendar and the dates don't matter. They are all, of course, airbrushed, but there is this TERRIBLE one where she is missing half her ribs and hips. That one is never allowed to show itself on the wall.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing post. I always knew that things were airbrushed or "fixed up" but now that you have pointed out all the smallest details I can really tell. Like the rib thing. Some of those girls that you put up look alien because of a lack of ribs. I never even thought to look at that. Now I am going to be checking out all the magazines to see if I can point any out.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I always love any photoshop before and afters. Thanks for posting.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    as a sidebar (and not to derail this interesting thread), some food photographers resort to trickery to make food look better in print than it could ever look on your plate:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/food-photo-tricks
    http://creativefan.com/the-food-you-shoot-is-fake-right-a-brief-insight-to-food-photography/
    http://www.justataste.com/2012/04/behind-the-shot-artificial-food-styling-giveaway/

remember that the next time your effort doesn't match the glossy photo in the cookbook even though you followed the recipe exactly.

e.g., that's not milk, it's glue (below).

food-2.jpg
  • TheMadHatter209
    TheMadHatter209 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tracywaz
    tracywaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
    When you look at real vs. photoshopped, you can seriously see how fake the photoshops look. Unreal angles for sure!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Can we PLEASE stop the body shaming on this site? Those manipulated images of women have hopes and dreams and feelings just like the rest of us. Just because they were created within software doesn't mean that they don't deserve our respect and appreciation for the awesome and at times literally impossible results that they've obtained. Some people just want to hate on everything.

With love,
    Burt
    Body shaming? LOL But isn't altering an image a form of disrespecting a person's being especially when it's done without their permission? Hell I have watched, heard & read that a lot of these people that were "doctored" actually hate seeing their images altered. Perhaps you need to watch more news & see that certain publishing companies being sued by the models or actresses for it.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's amazing. I knew that lots of images were photoshopped but I didn't realize exactly how much they are. Thanks for posting!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom I once heard another GA speak: "The eyes and mind cannot fathom complex beauty. What we do is smooth it out, bring out the features we want to highlight, and make that beauty perceivable to the eyes and mind of the person viewing it. Is it reality? No. It's fantasy...and that's exactly what we are selling."

I never paid much attention to photoshopped photos.... until I was paid to do it. I have digitally plucked people's eyebrows, whitened their teeth (and the whites of their eyes), removed fat rolls and double chins from wedding photos, given them pain-free boob jobs, tans with no cancer risk, more hair, and blemish-free complexions....lol

Now, I unconciously play "I Spy" when standing in the checkout lane or when flipping through a magazine. The blatant things some GAs do is just laughable, and I can't help but to think "They must be new". No shadows.... or in the wrong direction of the light source, "bat wings" trimmed so much that upper arms are now as thin as wrists, legs or arms stretched so bad they look alien, waists so small the poor girls wouldn't actually be able to stand erect...etc. To an untrained eye, "Wow, she's beautiful". To a trained eye, "Wow, she's hideous." Hate to say it, but now I only see photos like that and think, "Frankenstein".
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Great thread.

Women have been being altered for aesthetic reasons in art for as long as there has been art, so it didn't start with photographs either.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    very interesting! would love to see more.
  • Ampedette
    Ampedette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    These are absolutely amazing, and I am very grateful you have used your skills to educate the ignorant when it comes to photoshop.

Thank you.

...Oh yeah and more please! :D I find this fun to try to figure it out for myself then see if Im right based on what you write.
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    very interesting topic!!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    LOVE this thread. I hope you come back and keep posting more! :flowerforyou:
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If I was a celebrity looking at those photos would be depressing lol. Neat thread.