How to deal with medication that causes weight gain?

Options
I was wondering if anybody had any strategies that they have used when dealing with being on a medication that causes weight gain. I am on a medication (for the rest of my life) that causes weight gain but more annoyingly causes increased appetite and carb cravings that lead to eating more. Getting off the medication or changing medication is not an option. Any suggestions to stop the cravings or how to deal with them?

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that you could try to see if it works for you. How many times do you eat a day? If you eat 5 times a day, most pros recommend drinking 1 or 2 full glasses of water right before every single meal. If that doesn't work for you, the other thing you can do is eat a larger meal but only once a day, after 4pm, just because it works better for social settings. Also, eat a lot of protein. If you spend one day eating too many carbs, eat very little or no carbs the next day.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thank you
  • Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, the med is supposed to cause crazy carb cravings which doesn't help because i'm already a carb lover :blushing: I've found that I crave them more towards the end of the night when things start to calm down and I'm off of work, so I budget for more carbs then! I know I'm not supposed to eat them before bed... but screw it! I need bagels!!
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm on Latuda, and I have that same problem. I was also wondering if there was a way around it, while still being able to eat at least 350 calories.
  • shalontel1980
    Options
    I wish I had into to share :(
    I am on steroids and trying to figure out what to do avoid weight gain as well.