If you eat around 1500 calories a day...

can I take a look at your food log? I'm doing a 30/40/30, carb/protein/fat ration and am really struggling with how to get more protein in my diet. I have to get super creative, I feel like, and I don't always have time for that. Thank you!

Replies

• Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    In 'Building the Classic Physique" Steve Reeves described his diet as following:

Breakfast = Protein shake with 14 oz of OJ, 1 tablespoon of Knox gelatin, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 banana, 2-4 raw eggs, 2 tablespoons of high protein power or high energy cereal - one cut apple, grated small carrot, 1/4 cup of raw oatmeal, 1/4 cup of bran, 2 teaspoons of bee pollen, 1/4 cup of wheat germ, 1/4 cup of almonds, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 cup of milk.

Lunch = Cottage cheese with a handful of nuts and raisins with 2 pieces of fruit.

Dinner = Huge salad, 1 swordfish steak, turkey, tuna or lean ground beef.

I am mostly Paleo, but I could eat this way every week. My alternate Breakfast is two scrambled eggs(or Turkey Burger) on rice bread and an orange(with my Skinny Mocha)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I eat around 1600 a day and I try to get 90-120 grams of protein a day.

I mostly eat hard boiled egg whites or scrambled egg whites, chicken breast, tuna, deli meats, almond butter, greek yogurt and cottage cheese daily to get to these amounts. If I don't get there I will have a protein shake at the end of the day, though that usually only happens a day a week or so.
  • I eat around 1600 a day and I try to get 90-120 grams of protein a day.

I mostly eat hard boiled egg whites or scrambled egg whites, chicken breast, tuna, deli meats, almond butter, greek yogurt and cottage cheese daily to get to these amounts. If I don't get there I will have a protein shake at the end of the day, though that usually only happens a day a week or so.

Thank you! Love the egg white only and almond butter ideas... trying to cut out calories while adding protein and yolks and peanut butter don't help with that!
  • Koorogi
    Koorogi Posts: 21 Member
    I'm at 1490cal per day. I like to eat the Chobani yogurts. The raspberry one is my favorite and it has 14g of protein in the 6oz container. I also do the scrambled egg whites mixed with a whole egg (usually 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites). For breakfast a lot of times I'll have the scrambled eggs and make about 2 ounces of frozen shrimp on the side with some olive oil in skillet. Hits 27g protein and less then 200cal.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    My diary is currently private but things I eat include:

almond butter on apple
    peanut butter on celery
    raw nuts
    eggs
    chicken
    bacon (I don't care for other kinds of pork)
    sometimes beef
    cheese
    cottage cheese
    plain Greek yogurt with a bit of honey or some fresh fruit
    salmon
    pumpkin-banana paleo pancakes (each serving has 2 eggs)

I'm actually always surprised by how much protein I consume because it often doesn't feel like I'm eating a lot of protein foods.
    black bean wraps (Ezekiel sprouted grain wrap, with avocado and spinach)
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    I get between 1500-1800 a day, running 15/25/60 -- C/F/P. All clean. Diary is open
  • mommylifter
    mommylifter Posts: 123
    I try to stay around 1500 cal/day as this seems to be my maintenance range. I don't really focus on fat/carbs but more my protein intake since I work out a lot. I always have 1-2 greek yogurts (plain) mixed with fresh fruit. They pack a lot of protein while low in calories. Along with lean proteins: ground turkey, deli turkey and a lot of chicken breasts.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    I try to get around 1500, working on keeping my protein higher as well. Some days are better than others.

I've noticed the days I do best in protein is when I eat chicken or fish and greek yogurt.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    ??? are you vegan or something??
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Greek yogurt packs in the protein. I like plain Greek Yogurt with cinnamon to dip apples in. Another fast and easy protein is a can of tuna on top of your salad.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    I used to eat 1570 a day and lowered it recently to 1400. Most of my protein comes from almond butter and salmon though, not much creativity.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    I eat around 1400-1700 a day

Are you a vegan? Are you being a vegan to lose weight? Or are you vegan in general?

I eat peanuts
    Protein Shakes
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Beans
    Lentils
    Eggs

Mine is open.. have a look
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    have turkey or chicken breast cooked and ready to grab for a snack.
    also love Quest bars (6 fat, 24 carbs, 20 protein, around 170 calories and taste like CANDY).
    EAS Advantage Carb Control Shakes (quick snack for 3 fat, 6 carb and 17 protein),only 110 cals)..
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    yeah i'm like...uh... MEAT?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Mine is open, have a look.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    I'm not a fan of meat (I will eat it but I rather sweets) and I don't eat eggs or sea food. I try to get about 115 grams or more of protein every day. My diary is open. I usually get around 1700-1800 calories a day though.
  • I eat 1800, but my favorite protein sources are chicken breasts (the pre cut frozen ones from target so I can make one at a time), cheese, eggs, pure protein shakes and bars, (the shakes have 23 g for only 130 calories), cottage cheese and dannon light n fit yogurt.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    I eat around 1500 and I get lots of protein in using things like:

Egg whites:
    I have an egg white omelet most mornings using eggbeaters (southwestern style)
    With Jimmy dean lean ground turkey crumbles in the omelet

Greek yogurt I love Chiobani and Dannon oikos Fruit flavors

Extra lean ground chicken or boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs Copped into a salad or along side of some veggies.

I also use peanut butter with some type of fruit usually a banana (you can sub with pb2 or almond butter if you like) :flowerforyou:
  • I'm at 1500, and aim for 150g protein. You're welcome to look at mine and/or friend me. Note - I'm an IF'er, which is why my meals are a little weird. My main sources are eggs/egg whites, lean meats, cottage cheese, and plain yogurt (which I usually mix with walnuts and a little fresh fruit - I'm only at 80g carbs per day right now so I have to keep that in check). I also love Quest bars, and I do use protein powders pretty regularly, though I'm trying to rely on those less.
  • thank you everyone for the ideas! I think I need to do the plain greek yogurt and do my own additives because the sugar puts me too close to my max.

I was doing smoked salmon with cottage cheese and lemon, but that meal is packed with sodium. I didn't realize cottage cheese had such high sodium levels.

not a vegan, I just want variety in my diet, and I'm now consuming more protein than I have in the past.