First 12k Run, Tips?!?

Options
rassha01
rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
I just signed up to run my first race and it is a 12k called the Schell's Brewery Lager Lauf. Should be interesting running with beer stops. Anywho does anyone have any training tips to get the best time possible? Without leaving out the beer because that is not happening!!

Replies

• maribeth721
    maribeth721 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hal Hidgon has some great programs. Nothing specifically for 12k (that's a random number for a race) but I would suggest checking out the 15k or 10k programs.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

One thing to keep in mind when increasing your mileage is to look at your mileage in terms of weeks and not days. You only want to be increasing 1-2 miles per week, which equals out to increasing a few of your runs from 1/2-1 mile at a time. Too much at once will cause burn out or worse, injury.

Most importantly have fun and stay hydrated!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Go with the 15k plan, if beer affect is anywhere near universal, it will make that 12k feel like a 20k.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I was able to do 10 miles last Saturday just under an hour and a half so I don't think the distance will be an issue. The reason for the wierd distances is that the run is held by a brewery and they call them a 6-pack (6k) and a 12-pack (12k). I am going to take the bottom two weeks of that 15k intermediate program on the halhigdon website to train before this race. And after looking at the course I may skip the beer during the race, it is pretty hilly!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i was just about to ask how do you train for something like this? do you place bottles of beer along your training route then stop and drink them. LOL! by the time you get back from a long run you're drunk. HA!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    LOL - this sounds like my kind of race!