Resistance Bands vs. Weights

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands don't have "negative" (eccentric contraction) resistance and that's more responsible for muscle breakdown to "harden" it up.

I don't like resistance bands at all but this statement seems false.
    It's not. Look up eccentric contractions. Eccentric contractions are most responsible for DOMS and hypertrophy. Resistance bands are progressive in resistance on concentric and recessive on eccentric contractions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands don't have "negative" (eccentric contraction) resistance and that's more responsible for muscle breakdown to "harden" it up.

It's not. Look up eccentric contractions. Eccentric contractions are most responsible for DOMS and hypertrophy. Resistance bands are progressive in resistance on concentric and recessive on eccentric contractions.
    Negatives. I've heard of em. That part about resistance bands not providing a negative doesn't seem realistic unless I'm taking the band all the way back until there is no more stretch left. The band is still offering resistance until it returns to it's original state, no? More resistance at the top of the movement where there's more stretch than near the reset position, but most people are stronger at the top of the movement anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Negatives. I've heard of em. That part about resistance bands not providing a negative doesn't seem realistic unless I'm taking the band all the way back until there is no more stretch left. The band is still offering resistance until it returns to it's original state, no? More resistance at the top of the movement where there's more stretch than near the reset position, but most people are stronger at the top of the movement anyway.
    But the reduction of the stretch reduces the tension. I'm sure we agree on that, and unlike a weight (which is consistent meaning it's value doesn't change) a reduced tension means less intensity. Initially bands were designed for rehab (as well as many functional exercises) which is why they are a mainstay with people who don't have much strength or are recovering from injury.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition