Frustrated because I stay hungry

Options

Replies

• Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    i have big salads with colour to them and now i'm finding cause of the brightness is waking me earlier some days i have realised i need 2 breakfasts instead of just one cause i too these last few days have felt more hungry.
    I've made them a bit smaller than the one on it's own would be. or you could just class the 2nd as a snack
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My eating hasn't been that great. I just started slowly trying to ease into eating healthier, little at a time. I have a Green Smoothie (love my smoothies & they make me feel better) and two hard boiled eggs (for protein) for breakfast or lunch. I'm thinking of just adding flax seed or chia to them. Usually lunch is a tuna, ham or PB & Jelly sandwich. And I eat what I want for dinner in moderation. Usually a meat with two veggies. Unfortunately Chicken Breasts are not one of my favorite things. I've tried them every which way and have yet to like them. Hate fish, except of the Crispy battered fillets. I do like chicken in my salads or a chicken salad sandwich. Not to fond of yogurt but I can tolerate it occasionally. And I drink nothing but water throughout the day, except I have two cups of coffee every morning. I could stand to drink more water than I am though. Thanks for all your great suggestions, it really helps. If I can figure it out, I'll make mine public.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    more fruits and veggies! I love PB&J, but it's high in calories. Bananas are good for a filler. Protein definitely helps keep you full as well.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein for snacks instead of carbs. Keep some unsalted nuts and seeds in a baggy and munch on those. Great for you!
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Yes, I think I need a little more protein and water.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I get hungry if I need more of one of carb/fat/protein trifecta. Keeping them in balance is what works for me. Also, eating bunches of calories.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Are sunflower seeds good? I love those. I go over a little each day...not by a whole lot, but still I go over. My calorie limit is set at 1340. I walk my dog 5 days a week for 3/4 mile, then also 3 of those days I also walk 2 miles. I'm a work in progress, just trying not to get overwhelmed. I do LOVE my food so that's really hard. Hubby won't eat healthy, he wants what he wants for dinner so that's what I fix, but I like having a least one meal that I really want and love, otherwise I feel totally deprived.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When you blend fruits into smoothies, the fiber is manually broken down, and you get decreased benefits from the fruit

Bull. Does chewing decrease fiber? Does digestion?
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    I changed my calorie limit to about 1460 a day because it was too low...1300. I used a fitness calculator based on my height, weight activity level and age and how much weight I wanna lose by when, it says 1460.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You are getting some really good advice in here. Except, yes, when the body does the chewing and digestion, that is the very point we want--our bodies to do the work and for it to take some time for the sugars to be released slowly rather than instant sugar high (and triggered insulin release) from processed foods or foods that are ground up already. That said, there are a lot of people who really love the smoothies, so if you enjoy them, have at it. It's certainly not unhealthy, but it might be one trigger for your hunger. Experiment and see. My own experience is that they do make me hungry, and I like something substantial to chew, rather than drink. :smile:
  • silenthunder
    silenthunder Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When you blend fruits into smoothies, the fiber is manually broken down, and you get decreased benefits from the fruit

yeah I was thinking that too.

although I also thought : but if i blended corn then it wouldn't show up in my poop.... guess thats not related though :)

you've gotten alot of replies - I think some of the same as above.

some of your hunger might be sugar cravings if you dropped alot of sugar out of your diet.

fiber makes you feel full. so does water.

protein also makes you feel full.

you can load up on any/all of these things without seriously sacrificing calories.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    Having smoothies for breakfast is easy for me because most times I skip breakfast all together, so it works well for me.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can well imagine that easy may translate into trade-off.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

I'm thinking they may have meant juicing.
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    I stay hungry, I don't know what to do to feel full. I had a green smoothie for breakfast along with two hard boiled eggs, then for lunch I had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. For snacks in between both, I had like 15 Special K Cracker Chips and 6 Tricuits. Thank god it's almost dinner time because I feel so hungry, but if I ate anymore I would go over my calories for the day.

I can see why you're hungary today. If I skip my carbs I feel really hungar, especially in the morning. I would skip the smoothie and have toast for breakfast with the eggs instead. You should have a snak in between lunch and breakfast, perhaps that green smoothy would be good. Always have a protein and carb for every snack and meal. Also make sure you are drinking enough water. I know this might sound cliche but you have to drink enough water, and listen to what your body is telling you it wants.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "One current fad is to juice the entire fruit into a "smoothie"." "The problem is that the shearing action of the blender blades completely destroys the insoluble fiber of the fruit. The cellulose is torn to smithereens. While the soluble fiber is still there, and can help move food through the intestine faster, it now does not have the "latticework" of the insoluble fiber to help form the intestinal barrier. The sugar in the fruit will be absorbed just as fast as if the juice were strained with no fiber at all. You need both types of fiber to derive the beneficial effects."

I must remember to bring that up the next time the smoothie product presenter shows up at my local CostCo, lol.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    I could definitely use more water. I'm not really hungry mornings, it's more afternoons in between lunch and dinner. I try not to eat anything past 8 pm because I go to bed between 11 pm and 1 am.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Carbs, proteins, fats, calories, hydration. Find the right balance for you that causes minimal hunger and weight loss you are OK with. It might mean changing your goals, but hungry all the time suggests what you are currently doing won't be sustainable. It took me about 9 weeks to find the right balance. My appetite also varies, so I now also balance exercise with hunger.

If you're not hungry in the mornings, have something light or skip breakfast, and have something more for brunch/lunch. If eating late doesn't disrupt your sleep try eating something later. It is a case of experimenting because what works for me probably wouldn't work for you (although it might, we're all different).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Are sunflower seeds good? I love those. I go over a little each day...not by a whole lot, but still I go over. My calorie limit is set at 1340. I walk my dog 5 days a week for 3/4 mile, then also 3 of those days I also walk 2 miles. I'm a work in progress, just trying not to get overwhelmed. I do LOVE my food so that's really hard. Hubby won't eat healthy, he wants what he wants for dinner so that's what I fix, but I like having a least one meal that I really want and love, otherwise I feel totally deprived.

Sunflower seeds are calorie dense. There is nothing wrong with them but compare 100 calories of sunflower seeds to 100 calories of lean meat like chicken, tuna, lean cuts of pork or beef. Which choice will leave you fuller?
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    Options
    As much as I hate chicken breast, I bought some the other day. I'll have them for dinner one day and then maybe a salad here and there. I can eat tuna out of the can sometimes, but prefer tuna salad.