P90X or Insanity? Sound off!

I just lost 30 pounds, looking to lose about 30 more (I'm 5'8" 163). I'm training for a 5K on June 1st right now, but after the race, I wanted to kick my workout regime up a few notches and get into more weight training rather than all cardio. I am NOT planning on using whatever nutrition plan that will be provided as I am vegan and already eat a very healthy diet, which I do not want to alter (don't flame me for that).

So...P90X or Insanity?! I have most of the equipment needed for P90X other than a pull-up bar. Insanity seems more cardio-based. I want to loose weight and get toned...I don't want to become "skinny-fat" OR gain too much muscle. I'm leaning more towards Insanity, but do I have to do P90X first?! I'm confooozed.

P90X vs. Insanity - what do you think would work better and why?!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I love Insanity, but I only use that for cardio. If you already have weights, why don't you just weight train with what you have and save yourself the money? I have dumbbells that go up to 30 pounds and I use those for strength along with Insanity for cardio.

I'd say run (train for 5K) for your cardio and weight train with what you have.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I just lost 30 pounds, looking to lose about 30 more (I'm 5'8" 163). I'm training for a 5K on June 1st right now, but after the race, I wanted to kick my workout regime up a few notches and get into more weight training rather than all cardio. I am NOT planning on using whatever nutrition plan that will be provided as I am vegan and already eat a very healthy diet, which I do not want to alter (don't flame me for that).

So...P90X or Insanity?! I have most of the equipment needed for P90X other than a pull-up bar. Insanity seems more cardio-based. I want to loose weight and get toned...I don't want to become "skinny-fat" OR gain too much muscle. I'm leaning more towards Insanity, but do I have to do P90X first?! I'm confooozed.

If you want to into more weight training, Insanity isn't the program. That is pure cardio and bodyweight exercises.

I've never done P90X.

My advice?
    Lift heavy. Find a program you like (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and NROLFW, to name a few) and do that instead.

You won't gain too much muscle. Trust me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • itsCheek
    itsCheek Posts: 104
    I love Insanity, but I only use that for cardio. If you already have weights, why don't you just weight train with what you have and save yourself the money? I have dumbbells that go up to 30 pounds and I use those for strength along with Insanity for cardio.

I just have the P90X resistance bands.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    If you want to build muscle p90x is the plan for you! I LOVE IT.
  • I love p90x - insanity was too boring for me. I do like to run though - there is a great website - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Couch potato to 5k - it is a great way to start running - once you have mastered the 5k, it has other goals for you...10k, half marathon and marathon. I loved it - I was a big runner and fell out of it, this kicked me back in.
    At this point I am alternating cardio and weight...so one day cycle, run or a cardio version of p90x and the alternate day p90x arms, abs and back...there are others. On Sunday, I rest.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member

If you want to into more weight training, Insanity isn't the program. That is pure cardio and bodyweight exercises.

I've never done P90X.

My advice?
    Lift heavy. Find a program you like (Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and NROLFW, to name a few) and do that instead.

You won't gain too much muscle. Trust me.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    This.

As a woman, it's effing impossible for you to gain *too* much muscle without the help of steroids. You have to eat in a caloric surplus along with heavy lifting, and even then, most women can only gain about .5 lbs of muscle a month doing that. You might gain a pound or two from newbie gains, but that's it.

And again, both P90X and Insanity are pure cardio with some mild resistance training thrown in.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member

Gotcha. Personally, I'd rather invest in weights and kettlebells than a DVD set, but I love weight training. If Insanity and P90X are your options and you are already running, I'd go with P90x
  • itsCheek

Gotcha. Personally, I'd rather invest in weights and kettlebells than a DVD set, but I love weight training. If Insanity and P90X are your options and you are already running, I'd go with P90x

Thanks! I will get some weights off of Craigslist (I'm frugal!!) I've heard that weight training is the way to go when you really want to get in gear, and get the body I want.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    OPTION 3: Tapout XT has been good for me. Mike Karpenko has a good personality and actually has made me laugh during the workouts as he is kicking my but at the same time. There is an original tapout and an XT2. If you like kicks and punching etc or a fan of MMA you will love it. I like that they mix in regular people, fitness pros and MMA fighters in the videos. Makes you feel like you are working out with celebrities. Full body workouts that are strength and cardio balanced.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    I did the whole P90X routine, start to finish a while back. It's mostly cardio, but there are some decent muscle activities in it as well. It is real heavy on pullups/pushups (with variations), and some very limited dumbell exercises. It's definitely not boring, and is a very interesting program.

I wouldn't do it again though, I think results would actually be better to do some real weight training instead.

Nothing wrong with doing either program, I've heard great things about Insanity, and I know P90X can definitely help with overall fitness.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    women don't "gain too much muscle", the only reason you see bulky women is because they take steroids and testosterone injections. Going into a heavy lifting program as a complete natural will tone up your body immensely and make you look great as a woman.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    I personally prefer P90X. I just finished a round of Insanity and got decent results. Not a lot of weight lost but lots of inches. It is very intense cardio. No weights but lots of pushups, squats and lunges. I got bored of the same thing every day and I missed weight training.
  • itsCheek
    I personally prefer P90X. I just finished a round of Insanity and got decent results. Not a lot of weight lost but lots of inches. It is very intense cardio. No weights but lots of pushups, squats and lunges. I got bored of the same thing every day and I missed weight training.

Thanks for the feedback! With everyone's answers, I think now I'm leaning toward P90X instead! I tend to get bored with the same thing over and over (I can't even run on a treadmill without being bored in 5 minutes!) hahaha

BTW, you look great!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    P90X is a good choice! I am doing it right now along with running. I just use the three strength training routines from P90X each week. I don't do plyo, yoga, or kenpo. Running is my cardio. I am two weeks away from finishing P90X and am pretty happy with the results. More muscle definition and my body fat dropped from over 17% down to 14%. For the 1st time in my life I can see some of my abs. Not a full 6-pack yet but part of it.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    If you enjoy running, why not keep that up and do a lifting program like StrongLifts 5x5?
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    You could always do a hybrid program...
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    I honestly hated P90X (other than plyos). I'm an old fashioned gym girl and the quickness of the workouts just wasn't for me. It seemed like they were trying to up the pace so it was almost like cardio and weight lifting put together. I love cardio and I love lifting, but when I lift I like to lift as heavy as possible and take my time to recover.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    I'd go with straight weights with running for cardio. Take a look at this FREE program and just pickup some weights or join a gym.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Keep in mind that you will NOT bulk up much at all while eating at a deficit.

Nothing wrong with P90X or Insanity. I've done them both. The Insanity Deluxe version does include a killer upper body weight dvd!