Sugar problem

Options
I keep getting way over my recommended amount of sugar daily (33g of sugar). Does anyone know some low sugar foods for my meals? I need to bring it down, but I'm not quite sure how... :/

THANKS!
- Maddy
p.s you can look at my food diary to give me suggestions.

Replies

• nayeliholmes
    nayeliholmes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help I just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem, even when I think I'm eating pretty healthy I'm ALWAYS over on my sugars...

I would guess incorporating more fresh vegetables, and meats..
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Meats

Red meat and poultry are high in protein and iron, and they are low in carbs and sugar. Beef, chicken, turkey, venison, bison, lamb, duck and pork are examples. Bacon, sausage and cold cuts are derived from meats and they are also low in sugar.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Bad Food for Diabetes Foods to eat & avoid to control blood sugar. From Today Show expert www.JoyBauer.com

Fish

Fish is high in protein, low in carbs and with the exception of cold-water fish, it is also low in fat. All types of fish and shellfish are low in sugar. Talapia, trout, perch, crabs, clams, oysters and mussels are examples. Cold-water fish like sardines, salmon, herring, mackerel and tuna contain omega-3 fatty acids which come with a separate set of benefits. According to the Cleveland Clinic, omega-3s can lower blood pressure, reduce blood clot formation and decrease triglycerides.

Whole Grains

Whole grains are low in fat, high in fiber and they have a moderate amount of carbohydrates. They are also low in sugar. Oatmeal, quinoa, bulgar, rye, barley, brown rice and buckwheat are examples. Derivatives like whole grain bread, cereal and pasta are all low in sugar as well. According to the Mayo Clinic, fiber can decrease the risk of heart disease and help control blood sugar levels.

Nuts and Seeds

Nuts and seeds are high in protein, fiber and poly and monounsaturated fats. They are also low in carbs and sugar. Almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and peanuts are examples.

Vegetables

Vegetables are high in vitamins, minerals and water content. They are also low in sugar and have virtually no fat. Asparagus, baby spinach, all forms of lettuce, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli and kale are examples. Salad dressing that derives from an oil base is low in sugar as well.

Eggs

Eggs are high in protein and fat and they are low in carbs and sugar.

Dairy

Dairy products are high in calcium and protein, they have a moderate amount of carbs and they are low in sugar. Milk, cheese, cottage cheese and plain yogurt are examples.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/84642-foods-low-sugar/#ixzz2Sef4hb00
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. my sugar is double the suggested value, used to be triple. everything else is way under.

it was a fight to just get it down to double. i believe you're allowed to ignore 'natural sugars' in that calculation, however. for example, the 7 grams of sugar in my daily tomatoes isn't worth worrying about, but the 7 grams in anything processed is. at least, that's how i've come to understand it.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem keeping my sugar under my daily allowance. How come so much of the foods we love have so much darn sugar. I love fresh fruits but guess what - some are loaded with sugar. Dr. recommends I eat a banana every day for my potassium, but it has 10 grams of sugar. How can we keep sugar down when all foods that are natural seem to have a lot of sugar? Help, Help, Help:cry:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit/monitor your sugar intake, don't worry about it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit/monitor your sugar intake, don't worry about it.
    Came here to post this. Unless you're diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic, or if you're on some spiffy new "all pastries and ice cream" diet, just treat sugar like a carb. You'll stress a lot less and not hinder your progress any.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I changed from tracking sugar to tracking sodium, because that's far more important to my medical issues. Now MFP's sugar settings don't bother me at all! :-)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You over because of junk or from fruits and veggies? If its the latter don't even worry about it :)
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Other than just being aware of it, I do not worry about it. I need to allow myself to eat raisins, grapes, and yogurt to curb my cravings for cookies, chips, fries, and pastries. I figure what I eat is the "better" choice so I can live with it. :tongue:
  • gracemaddy
    gracemaddy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know, right!! D: