Peanut butter question

Options
Shan790
Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
There are a lot of recipes here that call for peanut butter and its often a suggestion to people trying to up calories or protein. I'm allergic to peanuts so I have to substitute another nut butter.
Any suggestions on which ones are best? Almond? Cashew? I tried the peanut free peanut butter replacements like nutter butter etc but seriously if that's what peanut butter really tastes like I'm not missing much, it's gross. :noway:

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I buy an almond with Chia one that is fabulous or walnut with cashew is good too.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of almond butter. It tastes yummy, and has less fat than cashews. It's just my opinion, but I like it better than peanut butter and I can eat peanuts.
  • holleratyokitty
    Options
    Almond butter is super yummy and filling, and sunflower seed butter is great as well....both are similar to peanut butter in consistency and almost in taste.
  • Shan790
    Options
    Will almond butter etc behave the same way in recipes?
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I prefer cashew or sunflower butter in place of peanut butter. Super easy to make yourself!

Soak some cashews or sunflowers in water (overnight for cashews... about 6 hours for sunflower). Drain, rinse and add to blender, food processor, etc. Blend. Add in a bit of oil to get it as creamy/liquidy as you want. I have done the same with almonds as well as a mixture of different nuts.

I tend to add in pre-ground flax seed for some extra nutrients and fiber.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with either almond or cashew butters. So good!
  • Shan790
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • Shan790
    Options

Wow thanks for this what a great article with tons of detail to compare!
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Options
    I love Justin's Almond Butter. Comes in a few different varieties, chocolate, maple, vanilla. Really good with a banana for an afternoon snack or in this protein ice cream recipe: http://www.bornfitness.com/protein-ice-cream/
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Almond butter will act the same as peanut butter in recipes and taste better. Cashew butter is also delicious!