Does losing weight=looking younger?

Options

Replies

• elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is a good topic. I know someone who has lost a lot of weight and I was shocked to see that she looked 20 years older. When she was bigger, her face was more plump and had a glow. Very pretty lady. Now she is smaller and her wrinkles are more noticable and her features have hardened. I think it all depends on the person. When I lost weight, I was told I looked the same age but without a double chin. lol
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    some yes some no...it's just a matter of genetics again
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I look older because the fat is no longer puffing up my wrinkles, but I don't mind.

This. My fat face made me look younger. I don't care :)
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I definitely look older in my face....same with my brother! But I feel younger and that is my only goal! I think it depends on the shape of your face.
  • devariojay
    devariojay Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    it definitely made me look younger...see profile pic
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is what I noticed my friends who didn't lose weight naturally meaning they used pills and lost weight FAST I think they look very old suddenly. Those who worked out and did it correctly slow and steady look younger. I am not sure if it is because of the meds they took but it is odd to me how three of them suddenly look old.

^^^This for sure-I concur!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i look older than i did with chubby cheeks, not much though
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    YES

0 Comments

Print

Jun 14, 2011 | By Michelle Martin

Photo Credit Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images
    As people age, they often gain weight. Extra weight can show your age, as it is a visible sign of your slowing metabolism. Counteract the aging effect of extra weight by losing extra weight slowly and exercising to tone your muscles. Just don't lose too much weight, or you may have additional wrinkles to contend with.

Factors

Whether you look younger after losing unwanted pounds depends on a number of factors. If you are over 40, losing too much weight can give you a gaunt look that makes you appear older, while keeping a few extra pounds around can lead to a more youthful appearance. On the other hand, if you are significantly overweight, losing weight in a healthy manner can give you a youthful, toned silhouette.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Bariatric Surgery Americas Leader In Gastric Bypass Surgery, Get a Consultation Today www.BarixClinics.com

Your Face

When it comes to your face, there are pros and cons to losing weight. If you carry a significant amount of excess weight, you may have noticed that your eyes appear smaller and your jawline less defined. Losing weight will widen your eyes and sharpen your profile. The downside of losing weight is that wrinkles can become more noticeable once they're not plumped up with extra fat. A natural effect of aging is the gradual disappearance of fat pads under the eyes -- without them, eyes can appear older.

Lose Weight Slowly

The manner in which you lose weight can affect your appearance significantly. If you have a large amount of weight to lose, and lose it rapidly, you may end up with excess skin. This can give you an untoned, wrinkly appearance. Many people who lose in excess of 100 lbs. choose to have surgery to remove excess skin, which restores their youthful appearance. Lose weight at a slow rate of 1 lb. a week to minimize your chances of developing loose skin.

Exercise

As you age, you lose muscle tone. One of the best ways to lose weight and stimulate a youthful appearance is to exercise. Lift weights to tone muscles and engage in vigorous activities to give your skin a youthful glow. Exercise can do more than give your body a more youthful appearance -- it has an anti-aging effect on the brain. It also influences how you see yourself. Getting out and doing an activity such as mountain biking or canoeing can help you to feel youthful. While there's truth to the saying, "If you don't look good, you don't feel good," the reverse is also true. Feeling good may be the best elixir for youthful looks that exists.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/420401-does-losing-weight-make-you-look-younger/#ixzz2SesDm2Nm

This is the weirdest post I've seen on this board.

Back on topic, like other people said, it depends. If you are older, your skin might not be elastic enough to rebound after you lose all the weight. But most of the progress comparison pics you see on this site seem to tell a different story; people end up looking younger because it takes time to gain weight (at least for most people, it's a matter of several years if not decades). That's why we talk about having a "boyish figure" (or "girlish", whatever).

But regardless of how you look, losing weight will make you feel younger, so who cares if your wrinkles are more visible?
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    2 words: meth users.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think so...I don't think it is so much the weight loss as it is that we are overall more healthy and our body responds to the healthy foods and exercise we have been feeding it.:wink:
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It depends. I've seen many before / after pics where the person looks much younger when they lose weight. Once you get older though, weight loss can make your face look older.

I think it definitely depends on the age and type of exercise you do if any. I have seen older women lose lots of weight but not train or exercise and the end result is a lot of hanging skin. Go to any WW meeting and you will see what I mean. They actually look worse. The younger you do it the better the age comparison. IMO.

But that should never be an excuse to NOT lose weight.
  • ExNihil0
    ExNihil0 Posts: 60
    Options
    Probably...but not in the face. Several already mentioned....less fat = more visible wrinkles. But, heck, I earned em!
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and this is a 4 month difference (January 2013/April 2013)
    I can't tell because I see myself every day LOL but i think maybe a little teensy bit younger (maybeeeeeeeee)
    i can honestly say i feel MUCH younger, have more energy, etc (i lift heavy and for cardio i run 3 miles maybe 4-5x a week)
    and sorry if they're too big, i don't know how to do the whole resizing thing :)

2z7rdk6.jpg

11t9578.jpg
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Nope. The secret to youthful appearance is building muscle. I've seen a lot of people drop weight and they're just left with saggy skin.

I'm 34 and okay saying that because nobody ever believes me when I tell them. Then I give all the credit to weight training 13+ years. I have a petite aunt of similar stature and height, but she's in her 50's and looks way younger, however, her face is "gaunt".
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    It has made me look younger...and I did worry about my face being drawn.
    Most importantly, you FEEL younger!

Black don't crack. I'm 48 and people never believe my age. I've been told I look as young as 35. Not sure I believe that but I could pass for 40. Once I get in shape I'll let you know what happens.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone thinks that weight loss helps one look younger? I heard somebody say this and would like to know what people think?
    For some people yes. For me, sadly no. I am however satisfied to be a fit old fart. :ohwell:
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    This doesn't apply to everyone, but I think for younger people that are overweight, extra weight makes them look older than they are, so the weight loss makes them look younger. For older people who are overweight, weight loss seems to make them look older.

Example - My aunt and uncle each lost about 75lbs, well they are in their mid 50's. When I saw them, they looked closer to 70. Their faces were so wrinkly, probably from being bloated adn stretched out for so many years.

Obviously this isn't the case for everyone.

Your aunt and uncle probably lost weight with WW or something like that and did not exercise. The older that a person is the MORE they need to lift and exercise to avoid the wrinkly skin. Most just cut the calories and lose the weight and that's it. We already lose muscle as we age so those of us up there (im late 40's) need to really make sure we get in exercise.
  • ChgingMe
    Options
    I'm 48 and this is a 4 month difference (January 2013/April 2013)
    I can't tell because I see myself every day LOL but i think maybe a little teensy bit younger (maybeeeeeeeee)
    i can honestly say i feel MUCH younger, have more energy, etc (i lift heavy and for cardio i run 3 miles maybe 4-5x a week)
    and sorry if they're too big, i don't know how to do the whole resizing thing :)

2z7rdk6.jpg

11t9578.jpg

Yep you are tone. You doing the weights is making all the difference. you look good girl
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It did for me. Take a look at the last picture in my profile. The fat one I was 26 and the skinnier one I was 29. It's not good to look that young when you're a man trying to get his career off the ground. Oh well...
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As a 27 year old often confused for a teenager, I hope not. I'd like to look like a 20-something at some point in my existence :wink:.