Do you wear a hat in the gym? Why or why not?

Options
2»

Replies

• StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's the easiest way to cover up that bed head at 5:00 in the morning.

▲ Pretty much this ▲

I have curly hair that gets crushed while I sleep, and my workouts are early in the morning. Simplest thing to do is to put a hat on and head to the gym. I'll worry about fixing my hair after I shower.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    i wear a hat in the gym to keep the sweat from pouring down my face.
    This.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I wear a hat once in awhile. Usually when i'm having an absolute horrible hair day and plan on hitting up the treadmill.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a hat when I'm not working out because my head gets so hot. If I wore one when I exercised, my head would probably explode! I've always wondered when I see people working out with hats if they are just miserably hot! I must be a freak of nature - the only time I wear a hat is the dead of winter!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wear one once and a while to keep my hair under control. Sometimes just hair bands work too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I wear one of these, because a jaunty chapeau is always a good idea.

hat3m.jpg
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wear a hat to the gym but it stays on the coat hook. Just not comfortable when I'm doing cardio and gets in the way when I am doing weights.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    i wear a hat in the gym to keep the sweat from pouring down my face.
    This.

Me too. It's a combination of bed head alleviation and sweat containment. (I'm a girl but I assume the issues are similar for anyone who has hair or sweat glands)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    only when I drink

images-7_zps8100783b.jpeg
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why anyone would wear a hat in the gym, wouldn't it just get annoying? Not to mention sweaty?

I like to keep my hair out my face, but I have something called a hairband.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why anyone would wear a hat in the gym, wouldn't it just get annoying? Not to mention sweaty?

I really don't understand why anyone would care if someone wore a hat to the gym....
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I go to a small town gym. There are a lot of redneck country boys who wear hats and work boots.

edited to fix my typo....musta been the hat in my eyes
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes (except for the Marine Corps gym where I currently work out because they're not allowed). My main reason is sort of for "privacy". I keep my head down, ear phones in, and am 100% on my workout. I started when I was a trainer and didn't want interruptions or questions in the middle of my workout. Now it's just habit (thought I still am not there to socialize!)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've worn the same beat up ACDC hat to the gym for the last fifteen years. I'm immune to the smell, you see, but if anyone else gets too close ... like within fifteen feet or so... They may actually become ill and/or die. Keeps people from stealing my equipment or trying to socialize and interrupt my sesh.
  • PauliePCC
    PauliePCC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I only wear a hat when trying to get some outdoor runs in during the winter. Otherwise, I don't in the gym. My body reaches the temperature of the sun within like 15 mins of working out so a hat would sear off my head..
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hat's are for blocking your eyes from the sun, keeping your head warm, or, in the case of baldness, blocking your head from the sun.

No one should ever wear a hat inside. Or sunglasses for that matter. When I see someone wearing either of those I just think: DOUCHE. BIG DOUCHE.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Women can look really cute wearing hats in the gym.

Guys just look like dopes

Except my boss who has a weird-shaped head that actually is improved by wearing a baseball cap.

I can't explain why -- it just is.

No one said life was fair.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No one should ever wear a hat inside. Or sunglasses for that matter. When I see someone wearing either of those I just think: DOUCHE. BIG DOUCHE.

I think this may be sort of regional. My husband, who grew up in the South, also isn't a fan of hats indoors. But I grew up in CA and now we live in HI and hats are really common and a lot of people wear them, especially in heavy surf areas (like the North Shore, where we lived for 2 years recently, and I spent most of my time in trucker caps). It just depends...but acceptability of hats can certainly be regional. Your comment made me laugh, though. :) And I DEFINITELY agree with it re: sunglasses indoors. WTF?
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I wear a hat when I work with weights. I don't like the back of my head resting on that greasy looking sweaty looking spot on all of the benches from people not wiping them off when they are done.

that why I wipe down all equipment BEFORE and after I use them.... I don't want any stinky sweat from strangers
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

i have no problem with people wearing hats, i do all the time at the gym

guys who wear hairbands? it just looks like little old ladies at the hair salon