Can I repair a barbell?

Options
richardheath
richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
I purchased a barbell and squat rack through Craigslist. When I got it home, I found that the collar piece that is supposed to hold the weights on has a stripped thread and will not tighten.

It is supposed to look like this:

9cf7e902-f63b-41da-aa22-f7bcb66476ce_zps31f2d82f.jpg

But when it comes loose, it looks like this:

00c5bfe7-e416-4cfb-871b-c460e2158a6a_zpsc50cc149.jpg

I'm afraid that if I load it up, this piece will come loose, and the weights will become unbalanced. Should I use it? And can I fix it? The threads are totally stripped. Maybe a weld?

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You could use an epoxy, formulated for steel. You could also use JB Weld, from the auto parts store-If it will hold an engine block together, or an auger shaft, a barbell collar would be no problem. (assuming you don't drop it to the ground routinely) Just goop it up on the threads and screw it back on... just get it like you want it because you won't (ever) have a second chance after it cures.

edited to add- yes, if you can weld, it would be as strong as the original bar (maybe stronger) but assuming you don't weld, it's usually costly to get something welded at a shop.
  • richardheath
    Options
    No, I don't weld, but I figured it might be cheaper than a new bar!

I hadn't thought of epoxy or JB weld. I'll check out Autozone tomorrow. That might be cheaper (and easier) still.

Thanks!
  • richardheath
    Options
    Quick update: JB Weld seems to have done the trick and held the plates (up to 225 lb for deadlift) for my workout. Might not last forever, but it'll save me buying a new bar right now! Cheers.