Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gluteus needs more of a challenge

Does anyone have a real challenging workout for the glutes? I breeze through all of the standard body weight exercise, and I only have so many weights to add to my barbell for squats and deadlifts.

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Counterbalanced squats to the floor. That's what I'm up to lately...
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member

I will look into those. Thank you!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Buy more plates!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Single Leg Squats will kick your butt
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Buy more plates!

SQUAT with a barbell

and deadlift.
  • MrsBioChem
    Buy more plates!

Do all plates fit all barbells? Mine is a set from the Firm, like 1990s. Lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm probably going to become annoying for recommending this all the time, but you can get good glute info from bretcontreras.com
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    they are called jefferson squats. squeeze those glutes at the top.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member

I will look into those. Thank you!

It's easiest to do them on a Smith machine, but lately I'm just doing them in my kitchen at the edge of the counter. Literally counter balanced! ;^)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I'm probably going to become annoying for recommending this all the time, but you can get good glute info from bretcontreras.com

no since that is the first time I've seen that. some things bear repeating.
  • BinaryPulsar

no since that is the first time I've seen that. some things bear repeating.

Oh, yeah, you're right!
  • MrsBioChem

This guy actually has heavy lifing videos! Also, he was a speaker at The Fitness Summit which makes him a credible sourse in my book. Thank you so much.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    pistol squats
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Various lunges, step-ups, split squats, 1 legged dumbbell deadlift
  • BinaryPulsar

This guy actually has heavy lifing videos! Also, he was a speaker at The Fitness Summit which makes him a credible sourse in my book. Thank you so much.

You're Welcome
  • MrsBioChem
    pistol squats

I do love me some pistol squats :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Pistol, Romanian DL, Bulgarian squats, barbell jump squats, lunges, box jumps, bridges,, cycling .... There are hundreds of exercises.

But for a bigger challenge just up the weights progressively.

as a single exercise that really kicks my *kitten*: Bulgarians with a smallish dumbbell.
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Bulgarian Split Squats to complete parallel with ballistic reps at a fast pace. 6x20 each leg going from one to the other. You sorta have to adjust your position and posture to feel the burn in the right spots, but for someone who squats/deadlifts high weight, I was surprised just by how much this workout managed to kick my glute/hamstring's butt the next day haha
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    In addition to the above, heavy kettlebell swings, hill sprints, weighted sled pulls/pushes...
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Lunges
    barbell glute bridge
    butt blaster (lol)