any senior citizens?

I'm 69 and am having problems losing weight and exercising - partly due to my age but mostly lack of motivation and a snack habit. I also overeat when I'm depressed or bored. If anyone identifies, email me with your problems or support.

Replies

• carriepbm
    carriepbm Posts: 61 Member
    Yes, there are other seniors here. I'm also 69 and snacking is one of my worst food habits.
    Friend me if you like, and make other friends, too. The encouragement helps.
  • carriepbm
    Oh, and I love to knit, too.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    I'm still learning MFP and have to ask my daughter how to friend. Have you found any solutions to the snacking habit? Some days I'm fine; other days the devil Judy takes over and I just don't care about my goals.

What do you knit? What are you working on now? My stash is enormous, and I think I'm getting burnt out on knitting.
  • carriepbm
    Friend request has been sent.

In the fall and winter I knit hats for local veterans. I like to knit my own socks.
    This summer I will make dishcloths to donate through my knitting guild to local organizations finding homes for homeless families.
    I'm also working on a lacy knit "Hapi Wrap" (that's a sort of drapey cover up) for my daughter-in-law. Shh. That's a secret. 8^)
    Good thing she's not on MFP.

Snacking--just keeping busy is the best way. Snacking on veggies helps. Keeping the worst snacks stored out of sight helps.
    And I don't dare bring home a whole box of ice cream! That's a fatal attraction!

I'm currently on the 5:2 plan. I can tell you more about that privately, or browse the 5:2 group to find out about it.

Now that Spring is in full swing, I keep busy mowing the lawn and cleaning up the overgrown hedges. That's just work. My favorite form of exercise is Tai Chi. I'll keep going back for that as long as I can move and get to classes.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Friend request sent, just turned 70, don't knit but can snack & graze for England given half a chance

No formal, structured exercise, but I do try & walk wherever possible
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    60 here *puts hand up*. Yes it is a lot harder as u get older but amazingly folks do manage it, even with some pretty debilitating health conditions to deal with.. It's quite humbling ..and inspiring !
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    You all go! Very inspiring to see you all staying fit at your age!
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    I just had to say. I'm in a walking group( you know like hiking) which was led today by a lady who turns 90 this year and today she was out there up hill and down dale until one of the 80 year olds had trouble getting her breath. I'm 60 and I want to walk like that when I'm 90 and yes she is slim too.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    I am also a Senior and I am 66...

I also have trouble with my snacking and exercise.
    I have degenerative arthritis in my spine and neck, so walking too much really hurts me.

I also love to knit and crochet...
    I am working on a lot of Sashay Boutique Scarves for Christmas for my children and grandchildren.

I would love to hear from some other seniors.
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    I'm 65 and snacking is a major problem for me as well. I have degenerative arthritis in my spine and neck too, as well as CPPD disease (pseudo-gout) in my knees, hips, and wrists, but I love to exercise and it has helped my arthritis tremendously. I keep having to modify my exercise due to new problems, but it is so worth it. I feel stronger now than I ever have. Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • :smile: I have found if I get the feeling I want to snack I make a drink with ice and chew on the ice. The water makes you feel fuller and I have lost 47 pounds doing this since nov of last year. I usually drink sugar free koolaid with ice. That usually helps for craving sweets and a whole glass is 10 calories and best of all you get more water threw out the day from the ice. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Hi! I am Reba, age 67 and weigh, weigh over weight!! (no the spelling was not a mistake LOL) I really need to have the scale go down - and need friends to help me. I am new to the boards. How do you "friend" a person. I, too, love to snack - nights are my downfall, especially when I can not sleep. I would love to have you all as friends!
  • jhloves2knit
    Thanks for the tips and congratulations on your HUGE weight loss. I forgot I like Crystal Lite and will start drinking it tonite. I usually munch on quarters of apples and grapes, but I'm out.
  • jhloves2knit
    Hi Reba,
    I would love to be your friend, since I need someone with similar problems, like struggling with my weight most of my life. I think this site is great and I'm a newbee too. I stumbled across how to invite friends and will ask you if I find it again
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Hello, y'all...........go down the main forum list to motivation and support; there is a great thread on there for women 50 and up.........wonderful bunch of women----some post every day, some people just read and pop up now and then......lots of help, answers, friends, and support.

I'm 5'3" and I started here Jan.11 and have lost 201/2 lbs. at age 61.......good luck to you all

yanniejannie
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    I am 68 years old and on a quest for double knee replacement surgery. Last year at this time, I weighed more than 280 pounds, because I let food rule my life.

I could use a lot of things to justify eating the wrong things, but I cannot deny the fact that my weight destroyed my knees and put me in a wheelchair. In November, my surgeon said, "Lose 70 pounds; and you can have both your knees replaced and never need that wheelchair again." That means freedom to do so many things that I want to do.

If I make wrong choices right now, I will spend the rest of my time confined to one ikind of chair or another. There is no reason why I would want that to happen. I have a wonderful, supportive hubbie who loves to ride his bike and looks forward to the day, when I can join him. Of course, I would prefer a Grannie bike. I think that it would be safer for me, since I have never ridden a bike in my life. :wink:

I do Sit And Fit exercises, because I cannot do anything that requires the use of my lower legs and knees. I have lost all kinds of weight in my body, going from a size 4X to 2X in blouses and from 3X to 0X Petite in pants. I love what is happening to my body and plan to continue losing weight, even when I reach Onederland.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    67 here. Love to snack and exercise is a dirty word. My movement comes in the form of cleaning and yard work. Have had both knees replaced and just now getting to where I can do more movement. Would love to be in contact with others of the same age group and interest. Don't knit but do do counted cross stitch and trying to learn to quilt.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,170 Member
    :bigsmile: join us on women ages 50+ and meet lots of women who will support and encourage you and answer your questions.

:bigsmile: Barbie
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    HI Ladies I'll be 61 next month, say your never too old to learn but boy this weight loss has been my downfall for years up and down!!!!. But all I can say is stick with it I haven't gone up since joining MFP so that is a plus. My go to snack food is green tea helps keep me from getting into trouble . I too like to knit I do afghans for our cancer center and other groups. We can do this ,I'm not a big exercise fan knees don't quite work like they should but now with summer I like to get out in the garden that has been my workout this week. Add me if you like I'll try my best to support anyone!

Juanita in Sudbury Ontario Canada
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    bump
  • UtahWalker
    UtahWalker Posts: 29 Member
    Hi

I am 71 years old and have been of MFP for about 6 months and have lost 30 lbs. I love to cook and create healthy recipes. I modify many current ones to make them more healthy. I love to encourage people and help them over the bumps in the road. My friend list ranges from 27 year old's to 70+ years old's. You are welcome to add me as a friend if you want continued support and healthy menu ideas
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Hi! I am a 60 year young female who would like to friend you for support if you are willing to have an open diary, eat at least 1150 calories per day and try to exercise! Good Luck/Cindy
  • ok...wow...I am finding many people my age and about ! YAY...I don't feel alone anymore. 65 here !
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    There is a group here called women age 50+. We are a chatty, supportive group. Some of us don't work, others do. We would be glad to have some more. All you have to do is post to join
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 450 Member
    bump
  • Hi I'm Penny .No but getting close. It is very hard to be overweight and have RA the exercise is the key but boy is it hard for me, any tips
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Will be turning 61 (in some places that does not qualify as a Senior) next month and I just recently joined MFP. The night time snacking or someone made the statement -- " you are a grazer and we need to get you out of the pasture and back in the barn to stop the night grazer"..::laugh:
    Working hard to stay away from the grazing. Drinking lots of water helps.
    Have about 90 lbs to lose and will take it one at a time.
    Feel free to add as a Friend.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,170 Member
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: here are some threads that are active that you might like to consider

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071755-women-ages-50-for-august-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1248-senior-golden-sneakers
  • If you click on the link under the "face" of whomever you wish to befriend it will take you to their page -- which has a friend request button which you can push.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 343 Member
    Hey there - I am 67 and working on the weight 'thing' also... would love to have more folks closer to my age to talk with!

:happy: