how do YOU get over your plateau?

sky379
sky379 Posts: 46
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've read many different articles/posts about getting over plateaus....but what have YOU done that has successfully helped jumpstart your weight loss again?

I've tried eating more and changing up my diet, but that has yet to work, so I'm curious to see what others have done that has actually worked. Was it lowering sodium/sugar? Was it setting your goal at maintainance? Was it working out less/more? Was it lowering carb intake? I wanna know!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    I was very careful about the fat and salt content in what I was eating and most of all, I introduce some variation. Eating different things and changing my exercise routine to something different as my body was getting used to it. Most of all, I just waited for it to go away and didn't let it get to me.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    To get over my plateau's I would stop eating after 7pm and cut out processed sugars. I am a sucker for a cookie or deserts. If I hit a plateau I wouldn't eat any deserts except maybe a bit of strawberries and yogurt. I always worked out as much as I did before. I never changed that based on a plateau. I would also tend to decrease my calories some.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    I ended mine by accident... I over indulged over Easter and that kick started a 5 week plateau...
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I had a short one, but I added more intense exercise (specifically I'm doing the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels nearly daily) and that started to really take the pounds off after being stuck. I think I'm down about 2 pounds in a week. I'm also making an effort to eat more, I was leaving alot of uneaten calories at the end of the day, especially on days where I worked out. I'm getting a heart rate monitor from amazon any day now, so I should be able to have a more accurate count of what I'm burning and I can eat accordingly now.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Well I hit one a few weeks back and honestly don't know how I got over it. I was patient just like I'm being now ( I think I've hit another one)! :grumble: They are annoying but ultimately everyone is different so what worked for me might not work for you. You might have to play around with everything a bit to see what your body responds to. With that said, I have heard varying your exercise routine helps, lowering or upping the calories helps, cutting things out like sugars, breads, pasta, etc helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Don't know :huh: every time I've hit a plateau I got discouraged and quit!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I was on a 'no exercise' course. I lost about 30 lbs just by making a lifestyle change, watching my food intake and quality of the food I did eat. I stuck at 193 - 195 for awhile and then just last week I felt 'in shape' enough to do something besides just walking.

Well that seems to have done it. The work outs (and extra calories) seems to have pushed me to another level where I am losing weight again.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    I was on a month long plateau a few weeks ago and was getting very discouraged, I was staying within my calorie range exercising about 4 days a week and still nothing. What helped me (I've lost 6 lbs in the three weeks since) was to monitor my sodium intake much more carefully and increase my water. I was drinking water but barely making the 8 recommended cups/day now I drink at least 12 cups/day and that seems to have better results - also I upped my exercise to about 6 days/week - plus I bought a HRM so I can more accurately track my exercise and not over-eat on my exercise calories. I have found that for me MFP was too high with the calorie burn and I was eating most of my exercise calories and shouldn't have.
  • jnichole68
    jnichole68 Posts: 7
    I have the perfect answer: TIME. I have hit several plateaus and have tried it all: calorie intervals, increasing exercise, upping calories, decreasing calories, taking an exercise break, more water, less sodium, shocking my body with different foods, etc. Nothing worked except TIME. Really, you just have to wait it out. It's scientific...your body WILL lose weight if you are doing the right things. I decided to stop stressing over trying to find the exact science behind jump starting the silly plateau and just tough through it and you WILL eventually come out of it. I have every time and I think I just got through Plateau #6!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I've done a number of things:

- 120 oz. AT LEAST per day
    - Less cardio (every other day instead of everyday), more intense strength training
    - Increased calories by 200
    - Started eating ALL my exercise calories, save for maybe 50 or 60
    - Eating more protein - whey protein shakes after I work out
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I weigh, measure, and write down everything that enters my mouth and go from there. Watch sodium too. I upped my calories to 1500 and I eat most of my exercise calories
This discussion has been closed.