Something my doc said...

Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
I had a doctor's appt. yesterday and something he said really hit home with me: "There's always another meal to look forward to."

WOW! It may seem silly, but I just can't stop hearing that! I used to eat like I wasn't going to get another meal, like I'd NEVER be able to eat Taco Bell or ice cream ever again. Hearing him say that felt so good.

Replies

• Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Yeah, kind of like 'eat to live, not live to eat' :wink:
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    That's a great way of looking at things! I also eat sometimes like it's going out of style. I should just try and remember that cheesecake isn't going away...lol
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Wow, that is so true.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    It is so hard for me to remember this and, really, from an evolution standpoint, it doesn't make sense that we should! Of course we always want that piece of fatty, calorie dense dessert right now because, what if we aren't successful at chasing down and killing our meal tonight? What if there is a famine?

But these instincts don't serve us very well in this day and age. I try to tell myself "there will be more cookies, there are always more cookies" but sometimes it is just so hard to convince myself of this. :laugh:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I love that.. Its so true!

Another good thing to keep in mind is: if you don't like it, don't eat it!

I find that usually a lot of people aren't eating food they even really enjoy. I don't like fast food and pizza, so I don't eat fast food and pizza. I love dark chocolate, the darker the better, so I eat the chocolate I like. I hate sugary drinks, so i never drink them. If you only eat the foods you really enjoy, you will naturally loose some pounds. And if you change your eating habits, you will eventually like new things that are also better for you when you get used to them.

Another thing: A cookie or two once a week isn't going to harm your diet. lol. When you have a craving, indulge. If you really can't, drink a glass or two of water and see if you still have the same craving. Sometimes we crave sugar when we are really just thirsty.
This discussion has been closed.