Just curious.. Exercise

Options
I'm new here and i'm just curious to know what you guys do to workout. What do you do? How many times a week? For how long (time)?

Replies

• iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Gym - rowing, running, xtrainer, stepper, chest press, chest lift.

Home - run, crunches, Russian twists, bicycle twists, plank, leg lifts.

Repeat.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hey friend. I think it depends on what your goals are. I was doing insane amounts of cardio and started doing Insanity but got an injury, so I had to break and I stumbled across Weight lifting. That really has my heart now and I Lift 4 days a week and am currently trying to figure out how I want to do cardio (Hiit, light cardio, running, etc) But my workout days typically look something like this; I do light cardio for about 30 min on my lifting days.

Monday: Upper body pull days (pull ups, dips, lateral pull downs, rows, barbell curls, shrugs, bicep pull downs)
    Tuesday: Lower body days (barbell squats, SLDL, goblet squats, leg extensions, leg curls, weighted calve raises)
    Wed: This is the day I struggle with I WAS swimming for 45 min/hour, but got kinda burned out on it. I am now doing Hiit in the morning and jogging/walking 3.1 miles in the evening)
    Thursday: Upperbody Push days:( Bench press, chest press, dumbbell OHP, Skull crushers)
    Friday: Lower Body (leg press, dumbell walking lunges, goblet/plie squats, Deadllifts, sitting calve raises)

Saturday I run, and Sunday is my rest day.

ETA I normally take about 45min/1hr for the lifting, and do about 30 min for the cardio. I always try to run/jog/walk 3.1 miles as I am working myself up for a 5k in August.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog for 1 hour every day. I do at least 1-2 hours gardening, weather permitting 3 times per week. I've got an exercise bike, and treadmill at home that I use in bad weather. I do Pilates 3 times a week, in my front bedroom. Those are my most regular, if I'm off work, I go swimming.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights full body workout 3 x week
    1-2 days intense cardio
    any more cardio is optional and needs to be light
    so it doesn't decrease my results for lifting workouts.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Iwork out 5/6 days out of 7, and I mix it up. 1-2 times a week gym, 1-2 times a week sports practice/umpiring, 1-2 x a week swimming in summer/stationery bike in winter, and a bunnnnnnnnch of walking.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Iwork out 5/6 days out of 7, and I mix it up. 1-2 times a week gym, 1-2 times a week sports practice/umpiring, 1-2 x a week swimming in summer/stationery bike in winter, and a bunnnnnnnnch of walking.

oh and duration - minimum 30 but as l long as I can fit in to my day realistically :)
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    At home I do 30 day shred or run/walk for 30 minutes if the weather is nice.

At the gym: either the treadmill walking 3.5 with a 7 incline, 30 minutes of the elliptical or arc trainer.

Arm days.. i have no idea what the exercises are called but spend about 15-20 minutes on it and then 10 boxing on heavy bag and speed bag.

Leg Day: leg extension, squats, lunges, leg press, inner and outer thigh machine and a few others i can't think of.
  • msphyllis40
    Options
    On May 1st, I started doing some exercise from a website; www.FitnessLadies.net. They have a free monthly exercise challenge that I have started. At first it was very hard because I am extremely out of shape. But I have stuck with it so far: no matter how long it takes me to do it. At first it took me 3 minutes to do a 1 minute wall sit :laugh: but now I do a 1 minute wall sit in 1 minute :wink: and it's only day 7; rest day.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so I'm not doing a whole lot yet. I do 6 days a week on the elliptical for 45-60min generally. Sometimes 35, sometimes 90. On the 7th day I do 15min. It kicks my butt, works up a sweat, and I'm losing pounds and inches, so for now I'm happy with it.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My work out schedule:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
    15-20 minutes warm-up on the spinner.
    1 hour of strength training.
    I do a full body work out, but I rotate what I start with, so if I start with legs on Monday then I start with arms on Wednesday. I do 4 to 6 exercises for each major group of muscles. I lift fairly heavy and I use what is called an inverted pyramid approach. I lift super heavy for 8 reps, them medium heavy weight for 10 reps and then 12 reps of the lightest "heavy" weight. Afterwards I jump in the pool and do 30 minutes of laps or 30 minutes of water aerobics.

Tuesday/Thursday: Spin Class 45-60 mins, the class has both interval training and resistance training. Afterwards I swim laps 30-45 minutes

Saturday - Swim for 60 minutes

Sunday -Rest ;)

Starting Next Month I will change things up a bit, so that I rotate strength days with upper and lower body on different days just to mix it up and get more exercises in for each major muscle group. I am noticing I just can not do everything in an hour. But I really love cardio every other day and hate to give up more cardio than I already have, but I know I have to keep mixing it up to see results.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    @justjamie0418
    Wow! You work out a lot. I guess that's why you have such an incredible body!!! I'm just starting and I dont know how much I need to work out to actually see results. I thought that 30 mins of zumba 3 or 4 week but not im not too sure if that's enough. i guess any exercise is better than no exercise
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I work out usually 5-6 days per week and I do running, body weight training or intense cardio workout dvds (e.g. burpees, jumping jacks, etc.)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Monday-Friday 20 min workout before breakfast, 15 min walk to and from work, 20 min walk lunchtime (weather permitting), in the evening longer DVD workout or Wii Zumba (30-45 mins), with real zumba class (1 hour) Monday instead

weekend -morning workout as usual, generally long walk - (around one hour) or might be longer if we're going round and round a mall!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I would say get a heart rate monitor, seriously I love mine, mine was messing up today for some reason and I felt so lost! It keeps you moving to keep your HR up so you burn all you can when you can aqueeze in excercise.

I guess I do workout quite a lot. But I really really enjoy lifting so its not a drag for me (cardio is seeming that way more and more) I bet once you get moving and get into a routine you will crave it more. I find my own sanity in working out, it's the only real ME time I get.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason, Kris gethin, Y3T workout plans from body building. com :D making all kindz of gains!
  • ToriaStitch
    ToriaStitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    On May 1st, I started doing some exercise from a website; www.FitnessLadies.net. They have a free monthly exercise challenge that I have started. At first it was very hard because I am extremely out of shape. But I have stuck with it so far: no matter how long it takes me to do it. At first it took me 3 minutes to do a 1 minute wall sit :laugh: but now I do a 1 minute wall sit in 1 minute :wink: and it's only day 7; rest day.

I'm going to try this, I haven't been exercising much, walking mainly, but think my mind is in the right place to start something new :)
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I try to ride my horse 3 times a week.
    I've started c25k again - will try to walk/run 2-3 times a week.
    Bodyweight/weights training at least twice a week.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I go to a Body attack class 4 times a week. Two hour long classes and tewo 45 minute classes. I also do squats, lunges, crunches etc when i can fit them in :)
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    30 mins 3-4 times a week is a great start!Do what you feel comfortable with!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I run 5 or 6 times a week (length varies, but usually adds up to 4-5 hours/wk), take 2 Pilates classes a week (1 hr each), just started 30-Day Shred yesterday (20-25 minutes, didn't time it exactly). Most often lately I've been running 5 days, and on the 6th go to the gym to hit the stationary bike and/or Stair Master to work my legs/glutes differently. Before I started 30DS I was doing a short arm/abs DVD about 3 times a week (15 minutes).

Now that my goal half-marathon is over, I might get my road bike out and sub in rides for some of my runs. At least until July or so, when I'll start training for a December marathon.