Pea or hemp protein?

Options
Illona88
Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
I am lactose intolerant and am trying to cut back my meat (I used to be a veggie and felt way healthier then. Now eating meat, because I am eating with other people and can't really choose my dinners).

I am slightly worried about getting in enough protein, so I had a look at protein powders. I can't have whey, because it has lactose in it and the soy proteins all have a lot of additives in it, which I also can't have because it causes migraines (I know, my dietary restrictions are a pain). I can't order anything online, so I had a look at Holland and Barrett. They have two types of protein powder that would be suitable for me: hemp and pea protein.

Which one would you recommend?

Hemp protein is more expensive, but seems to have less protein. What are the added benefits of this then?

Here are the stats and descriptions for the different powders:

Hemp:

"Ben, Nick & Simon at Pulsin' bring cold-pressed Hemp Protein, one of nature's most complete and nutritious plant protein sources.

It contains all of the essential amino acids, good levels of omega 3 fats and is high in healthy plant fibre.

Our hemp is sustainably grown in the UK without pesticides, herbicides or hexane."

Typical values per 10g Serving:
Energy 155kJ / 37kcal
Protein 4.7g
Carbohydrate 1.6g
of which sugars 0.5g
Fat 1.3g
of which saturates 0.2g
monounsaturates 0.2g
polyunsaturates 1.0g
GLA 0.04g
ALA (Omega 3) 0.2g
Dietary Fibre 2.1g
Sodium NIL

1-6 servings per day.

And pea protein:

"Pulsin' Pea Protein Isolate is a high quality hypoallergenic protein powder containing a balanced supply of amino acids, good digestive quality and a protein level of 85%.

It is the perfect alternative for people wishing to avoid dairy and soya based proteins due to food allergy and intolerance, and is also gluten and GM free. Those with special dietary needs can also be assured that our pea protein is produced without solvent extraction from yellow split peas using a natural process of gentle purification, concentration, drying and powderisation."

Typical values per 10g Serving:
Energy 149kJ / 35kcal
Protein 8.2g
Carbohydrate 0.32g
of which sugars 0g
Fat 0.17g
of which saturates 0.03g
Dietary Fibre 0.24g
Sodium 0.15g

Use 1-3 servings per day.

According to the reviews you can just mix them in with other food, like porridge, shakes and soup without any flavour to them.
So which one is better?
I am now leaning towards just buying both and then alternating them. Does this have any added benefit?

Replies

• Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on the cusp of becoming a vegan and I like to alternate between both.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and have general dairy issues, but I can drink whey protein without a problem. Whey has very little lactose content so it might be worth giving it a go.

I have tried pulsin pea and pulsin hemp and I have found they are both vile unless they are mixed into savoury food. Do a search for flavoured vegan protein powders, there are lots.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I am not really too keen on flavoured protein powders. They generally taste like chemicals.
    I am really looking for something without flavour, that I can mix in with my "normal" food.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Both Pea and Hemp are good. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. What I do know for sure is that when I was taking hemp protein I felt like my recovery time was A LOT faster than with anything i've ever taken including glutamine.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I am not really too keen on flavoured protein powders. They generally taste like chemicals.
    I am really looking for something without flavour, that I can mix in with my "normal" food.

Try the Nutiva Hemp protein. It tastes very natural with no artificial crap and tastes ok with rice milk in my opinion or with almond milk.
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Deb_le_Kess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Pulsin pea protein, actually didn't know it was available at Holland and Barret so that's good to know. Like someone else said it only really works in savory and even then you have to be aware it will give things a bit of a creamy look to it. Its perfect in soups and stews, I put it in a lentil mix for a veggie cottage pie and it make this mix a bit creamy looking, but it tasted fine. I tried it in a smoothie though and it took a lot of agave nectar to improve it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hemp Pro70
    and Nutra Summa Pea Protein both have around 20g and are both unsweetened.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread. I want to find something to help with recovery after hard strength workouts that I plan on doing in the near future. I have some hemp protein that I bought a while ago that I can use for now, but once it's gone, I'll need something, and I know Nutiva is a good brand. We love their coconut oil!