Options
124»

Replies

• k8325
    k8325 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    <
    Big fan of WW!!!!

In all honesty, I think both plans are great, and you will get out of them what you put in. Whatever method you use, as long as you are tracking your food diligently, it should work. It comes down to preference. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" when it comes to choosing between these two plans.

I do fully embrace the "free" fruits and veggies and use it as much as I can. Even though an apple may have the same calories as a cookie, it's still healthier as it has more fiber which is why it is free. It did not hinder my weight loss one and had an above average weight loss of 2 to 3 lbs per week on average until I made goal.

I should note that my diet was REALLY REALLY bad prior to WW. I'm talking ice cream for dinner and supersized McDonalds for lunch kind of bad. No wonder I lost weight when I switched to a healthier lifestyle!

I have tried to make the switch to MFP because it's free, but I've been on it for two years and know the points system really well. Plus, MFP doesn't give you "weekly points" like WW does. I use WW to track my food, but I do enjoy the cameroderie on the MFP boards which is why I come here. Plus WW doesn't teach you about TDEE and BMR, which I have learned a lot from via these boards.

Hope this helps!

--I agree wholeheartedly with this post! I ate fruits and veggies like crazy and still lost 70lbs in about a year with WW online. I would agree that I should probably track if I ate 40 bananas...but I never felt the desire or need to do that. For someone like me, who joined WW after finally waking up about her horrible habit of eating two dinners of supersized meals from McD's or entire pizzas, or half a family sized lasagna and then eating bags of candy or chips all the time, going over sugars with fruits is a much better option. My sugar levels have always been normal at my Dr's.
    -- I pay about $18 a month and I think it is worth it.
    -- My weight re-gain was entirely due to not tracking and not exercising(which both WW and MFP promote) enough after a life change--a mistake I am now rectifying. I prefer WW because it is more of a game for me, especially with the wording of points and as another person posted...it slyly encourages eating healthy by giving leeway to how many calories a point may be, and the same with activity points (which are always more calories burned than eaten) .
    -- WW does send out a daily email pushing their products, but I never feel bullied. I get daily emails from my favorite charities as well, lol. And I actually do enjoy some WW products as snacks (their peanut butter bliss brownie bites are orgasmic) but I buy those at the grocery store.
    --I like MFP because the forums are really great and more open and "real" than at WW.
    --Like any journey to a more healthy lifestyle, my advice is to find what is best for you. Some of us are going to do great finding calorie deficits in ww, mfp, if, other programs, reducing carb/fat intake or whatever other program is out there.
  • awalker0789
    Options
    I really think that a lot of it depends on the person. I have had MFP for over a year now. At first I was really good about tracking etc and I lost 50lbs without any exercise just by changing what I ate. Then I started slacking and going back to my normal ways and gained it all back plus some. I just started WW and I would say that I like it. I will agree that their database could use some spicing up especially since I live in a small town so our town brand stuff is not on their database. Yet I do feel like there is more accountability probably because I have to pay for it so I do not want to waste money. I also like how it gives you little rewards and things for you to help you create better habits and encourage you as you go along. I think the big reason why fruits and veggies are free is because most people do not eat enough of them. Therefore if you know they are free then you are more likely to snack on them rather than something that will use your points. Also, it is natural sugar so natural sugar is much healthier for you than processed or added sugar.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well yes, depending on how many calories you ate at McDonald's it could be an entire day's worth of calories. On MFP it's just calories in versus calories out. I think Weight Watches is great--but they probably steer toward a healthier diet.

So if you want to go to McDonald's and eat a Big Mac go ahead, but be prepared for the calorie count, meaning you'll have to eat less for the rest of the day--so you can stay within the MFP recommended daily calorie count, in order to lose weight.

Eat less--move more!
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi All:
    I do WW and attend meetings and I change things up every couple of weeks, Right now I am counting calories and doing MFP and attend meetings LOL...hitting the gym 5 days a week and eatting 1400 calories or less.

I agree with the post eat less move more :-)

Have a great weekend ya'll :-)

Phyllis in rainy NC :-)
  • Herbalifer81
    Options
    I've been doing mfp for someone now and haven't had much weightloss... should I not be eating all the extra calories I get from working or which I do almost on a daily... thanks in advance!