Calorie Rant

Options
So, this is just a little rant and feel free to add your own rants below. I have been using MFP for over a year now and doing great. Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem getting too close to my calorie limit, but now, I usually end up with less than 100 calories at the end of the day. But, in my opinion, I am actually eating healthier than I was before! I have increased my fruit intake and probably have 4-5 servings of fruit a day or more. I have fruit with breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day. My usual daily meals are as follows:
Breakfast - cereal (total, chex, Cheerios), low-fat organic milk, banana, fresh fruit smoothie made with low-fat yogurt (occasionally)
Lunch - sandwich (100 cal bread, turkey, lettuce, spinach) or salad (I use low cal dressing and only a little), apple, banana, raisins, goldfish
Dinner - under 500 calories
Snacks - fruit (lately grapes or pineapple and I eat a lot of it!), 90 cal granola bars, and usually a small bowl of light ice cream for dessert sometimes with a banana or strawberries

So, I don't think I am eating horribly at all. But, I usually have zero leeway with my calories throughout the day. I try and fill out my diary in the morning so I know exactly what I will be eating and how many calories I will have left at the end of the day. I tend to get the munchies during the day so I usually snack on the left over raisins/goldfish that I didn't finish for lunch.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think that you are eating really healthy and happy that you have decided to incorporate a lot more fruit into your diet but are now on the verge of going over your calories? Because I do! Ugh, okay, rant over. Going to make my healthy salad for lunch today.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You eat goldfish?! Am I grabbing the wrong end of the stick, or do you actually mean the swimming kind?

I don't tend to worry if I am -50/+50 of my calorie goal. As long as my weekly deficit looks good, I'm doing fine.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What's the problem your having?
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Try more veggies instead of so much fruit - dried fruit in particular like raisins or sultanas are really high in sugar & are calorie dense; cherry tomatoes or baby cucumbers make good snacks, celery/carrot sticks etc. You can definately over do the fruit, a couple of serves a day should be sufficient.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I don't tend to worry if I am -50/+50 of my calorie goal. As long as my weekly deficit looks good, I'm doing fine.

same here
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am sure he means the little cheese-y gold colored crackers shaped like fish LOL.

HERE IS MY RANT!!!! GRRRRR: Our fridge died. The new fridge was on back order because of the way the kitchen is configured. We only found ONE fridge at Sears and Home Depot that woudl actualyl fit, and it was on backorder.

NO fridge for 9 days.

Okay know, first world problems, right? But...

I have completely plateau-ed. It is VERY hard to maintain great healthy eating with no fridge. I am sure I have consumed 12 pounds of sodium, and we are eating more take out and eating out more...SO far I have nto gained (which is a miracle) but I am SO frustrated to be on PAUSE until I get a fridge again!
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I am sure he means the little cheese-y gold colored crackers shaped like fish LOL.

I've never heard of them! They sound yummy. :laugh:
  • torymichaels
    Options
    ::snort:: Do y'all not have children? How can you not know what goldfish crackers are?!

Heh. Wish I didn't, but the chocolate ones are pretty good (not that I've had any in at least a year, but mmm, chocolate!).
  • hazeldawn79
    Options
    If can keep to -100/+100 calories i'm happy haven't lost loads watching my calories but it's slowly coming off.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    ::snort:: Do y'all not have children? How can you not know what goldfish crackers are?!

Heh. Wish I didn't, but the chocolate ones are pretty good (not that I've had any in at least a year, but mmm, chocolate!).

I'm from the UK, that could explain it. :laugh:
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As I interpret it, your calorie goal is exactly that... A goal. So this means that the closer to zero you are, the better.

It's tempting to think that the less you eat, the faster you lose weight. But it's not necessarily true and as you say yourself, you feel you are eating healthier now so why not stick with what you are doing?

I think your healthy lifestyle changes qualify as a success! Well done :flowerforyou:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I think you're supposed to get as close to your goal as possible. That's why it is a goal. At least that's how I understood it.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    So, this is just a little rant and feel free to add your own rants below. I have been using MFP for over a year now and doing great. Up until a few weeks ago I never had any problem getting too close to my calorie limit, but now, I usually end up with less than 100 calories at the end of the day. But, in my opinion, I am actually eating healthier than I was before! I have increased my fruit intake and probably have 4-5 servings of fruit a day or more. I have fruit with breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day. My usual daily meals are as follows:
    Breakfast - cereal (total, chex, Cheerios), low-fat organic milk, banana, fresh fruit smoothie made with low-fat yogurt (occasionally)
    Lunch - sandwich (100 cal bread, turkey, lettuce, spinach) or salad (I use low cal dressing and only a little), apple, banana, raisins, goldfish
    Snacks - fruit (lately grapes or pineapple and I eat a lot of it!), 90 cal granola bars, and usually a small bowl of light ice cream for dessert sometimes with a banana or strawberries

So, I don't think I am eating horribly at all. But, I usually have zero leeway with my calories throughout the day. I try and fill out my diary in the morning so I know exactly what I will be eating and how many calories I will have left at the end of the day. I tend to get the munchies during the day so I usually snack on the left over raisins/goldfish that I didn't finish for lunch.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do you think that you are eating really healthy and happy that you have decided to incorporate a lot more fruit into your diet but are now on the verge of going over your calories? Because I do! Ugh, okay, rant over. Going to make my healthy salad for lunch today.

if you find that you keep coming up short on cals, then try eating some almonds or other nut. even better, try adding in some extra protien, like a hard boild egg, chicken, tofu.

sounds like you are doing great! keep up the good work.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

if you find that you keep coming up short on cals, then try eating some almonds or other nut. even better, try adding in some extra protien, like a hard boild egg, chicken, tofu.

sounds like you are doing great! keep up the good work.

I don't think the OP wants to up their calories, but was concerned they might go over.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    RANT! I keep buying stuff I don't want in my house because my daughter's have puppy eyes
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Really see no issue here. If you are around that calorie goal, theoretically you will lose weight. If there is one thing I have learned on here...everyone is different. They lose weight differently. They have different goals and different viewpoints. Mine...eat. Eat what you want, just watch the portions. As long as you continue to work towards your goal, you will be fine.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    RANT! I keep buying stuff I don't want in my house because my daughter's have puppy eyes

Laugh! And then you are forced to eat it just because, right? I think many can relate. If there is a potato chip in the house, I will find it and eventually I WILL eat it!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Are you eating some, or all of your exercise calories back? When I feel like I've not eaten enough and I'm nearly out of calories for the day, I go for a walk, or spend some time on my elliptical. That way I can "add" to my allowable food calories for the day.

Remember, MFP has already built in the appropriate deficit for you to lose weight. So not having many calories left over at the end of the day, is okay.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am not following you here. Are you not losing weight and still need to?
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? MFP is notorious for sometimes giving people a calorie goal of less than 1200cals, which isn't healthy or advisable. If your daily calorie goal is less than that, don't worry about not hitting it. Just try to stick to 1200 for a few weeks and see if you are losing weight on that. If you are, it's all good.

One other thing, do you do any exercise and if so do you eat your "earned" calories? I'd advise doing that.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Why don't we start from the bottom like your stats, height, weight, age, goal weight and all that.