Gaining Weight from Weight Lifting

Options
I notice that I have gained about 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks and it was right around the time I started a strict weight lifting regiment. I've always been more of a runner and am just now really getting into lifting weights but I'm a little bothered by the fact that I am gaining weight. Does any of you know if this is some kind of an alarming trend or is it temporary? What have your experiences been?

Replies

• blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    no worries, its cause your musles have little tears from lifting and now i forgot the words in english god dammit...

but yes totally normal to gain in the first weeks :)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you've gained weight - could be muscle gain (that's if you're not on a calorie deficit). Or, it could be water retention around your muscles for them to repair. Could be something completely different. Stop worrying about the scales if you are lifting - take measurements and get your progress from there.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I almost figured it was something like that. My calorie consumption, according to MFP, would suggest that I on pace to lose slightly or stay where I am. I am 6'2" and I weigh 192 lbs now. Before weight lifting, I was about 187. I do feel my muscles getting stronger..........a bit sore at times but stronger.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I lift, and found my weight loss was very slow for a few weeks, it came right this week, but basically you have built up muscle

muscle weighs more than body fat

more muscle/ bigger muscle at the end of the day means you will burn more cals

anyone can add me