BMR vs HRM vs how many calories should i eat?

Options
my BMR using the Katch-McArdle formula says it is 1967 calories

I laid in bed for about 10 minutes and burned 8 calories (this puts my BMR closer to 1920)

Using my HRM for 24 hours my normal everyday burning (monday through friday work day) says i burned 2833 calories (average 118 cals burned)

my TDEE (BMR *1.81) should be around 5200 Calories

Eating a 20% deficit of that puts me at 4160 calories

that is 1040 a day * 7, equals roughly two lbs a week

since i suck at math i have the blue train gets there 8 minutes early and the red train is 18.3 minutes late

So in total my TDEE is 3475 (1920*1.81)
my TDEG is 2755 (TDEE at a 20.7 deficit)
with my average Daily Deficit being 719

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    HOLY overthinking batman.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only meant to give you a good estimate of calories burned during steady state cardio. Any other time they are not even remotely reliable.

Looks like you should be aiming for something in the 3500 cal/day range, assuming you have your activity level set correctly. What would it give you if you choose the activity level below the one you chose. I would probably start there and eat less than the 3500 cals calculated, give it 3-4 weeks then re-evaluate.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    dailycalories_zpsc0e925f3.png

yes, i agree i think way too much. but i have also been stuck at the 229-232 lb range for about 2 months now and i am trying to shake things up.

i do an hour of cardio 6 days a week

i lfft chest/back, legs/shoulders, biceps and triceps every other day (monday chest back, wed legs shoulders, friday bi and tri)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Male
    6ft

my BMR using the Katch-McArdle formula says it is 1967 calories
    my BMR using a HRM says it is about 1920

Using my HRM for 24 hours my normal everyday burning (monday through friday work day) says i burned 2833 calories (average 118 cals burned) . I also burned an additional 500 cals from 1 hour of cardio but subtracted that from my total and used my averages to replace that which I burned

since i suck at math i have the blue train gets there 8 minutes early and the red train is 18.3 minutes late

So in total my TDEE is 3475 (1920*1.81)
    my TDEG is 2755 (TDEE at a 20.7 deficit)
    with my average Daily Deficit being 719

I figure 6 days a week i do cardio that is an additional 3000 cals

So in essence i should start losing 2lbs a week, if my math is correct.

does anyone see this differently?