Protein Powder Recommendations

Options

Replies

• drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yeah all worthless trash:) keep taking your powders!!

She was obviously not asking for your opinion about protein powders in general, she wanted to hear recommendations from people who are convinced by them and if you can't put some useful information in, please do us a favor and keep your "worthless trash" to yourself. The sun is the #1 trigger for skin cancer, by the way. But at least it's free, eh?

I'm using a whey protein by PEAK, to get back to the topic. :) 30g = 108kcal, 24g of protein and >1g of carbs + fats. Just got it but I'm happy with it so far. Optimum Nutrition is always a good grab, too. :)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    do not buy or use those cancer causing fat creating health degenerating Protein powders...TRUST ME..u have been warned!!!

Lol please don't tell me I'm the only person who found this funny

But to OP, I normally try all different kinds of Whey powder
  • cpingriff
    cpingriff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get Whey Protein from Sci - MX in Strawberry I got mine from Very.co.uk as I'm in the UK :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Anyways, I was/am using six star premium whey stuff I got from a friend for free. But I just ordered a 5lb tub of ON 100%Gold Whey Standard Extreme Milk Chocolate.

Most anything from ON is good quality.

I would EAT as many grams of protein a day as you can stand to. And just use the powder to make up the difference if you are going to fall short that day.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    do not buy or use those cancer causing fat creating health degenerating Protein powders...TRUST ME..u have been warned!!!

And actually, this is funny after you go read his profile, And this guy is a "Professional Trainer/Coach" according to his Linkdin acct .....

Scary/funny stuff .........
  • CuedUp
    CuedUp Posts: 2
    Options
    I have used ON Gold, ON Platinum Hydrowhey, BSN Syntha-6, and a few others. Syntha-6 has a premium price tag, but it is by far the best tasting powder in my opinion. It tastes great even with water. ON Gold has a really good price though, and doesn't compromise much on taste. There are a ton of flavors to choose from, and one nice thing is that ON has flavor packs with 16 different flavors in single-serving pouches, so you can test which ones you like best.

If you are really concerned about the makeup of your protein, www.truenutrition.com lets you build your own powder mix, and you can choose from a ton of different protein sources (egg, soy, whey, rice, hemp, etc), what percentage of carbs and fats to add to the mix, and quite a large selection of flavors. Considering their customizability, the price is awesome. I got two pounds of custom mix (nothing super fancy) for just under $30 shipped. Give them a go if you want!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Syntrax has a deal on their website to get 12 samples of their Nectar line for $12 plus $1.99 shipping. Think I may call and try some!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Looking for protein powder with low sugar, low carbs, and preferably low sodium. Do you have any recommendations? Mine is slightly high in sodium (350). Wanting a better quality better made.

Optimum Nutrion Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder is the best kind. Choose whatever flavor you like. I get mine off of Amazon.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I was/am using six star premium whey stuff I got from a friend for free. But I just ordered a 5lb tub of ON 100%Gold Whey Standard Extreme Milk Chocolate.

Most anything from ON is good quality.

I would EAT as many grams of protein a day as you can stand to. And just use the powder to make up the difference if you are going to fall short that day.

Optimum Nutrition 100%Gold. I get the Extreme Milk Chocolate as well. I also like the Delicious Strawberry.

I've tried a few other powders including Jay Robb and Isopure. Jay Robb was crazy expensive and not really worth it to me. Isopure was also pricier and it tasted like ick. :P I like ON the best so far.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Looking for protein powder with low sugar, low carbs, and preferably low sodium. Do you have any recommendations? Mine is slightly high in sodium (350). Wanting a better quality better made.

Optimum Nutrion Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder is the best kind. Choose whatever flavor you like. I get mine off of Amazon.

I've heard Amazon and bodybuilding.com are the cheapest places to find ON. I bought mine from GNC (since they gave me a free gold membership), but apparently they rip you off there ha ha. When I run out, I will price check a bit more. :P
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Trutien is delicious, though I'm unsure of the sodium content. I'm currently using Fitness Pro, and I'm not impressed.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    optimum nutrition gold standard is a very popular one, I personally don't like the way it mixes so I can't say I use it but I do like their casein to make protein balls with at night time. I get the ON casein Peanut Butter Chocolate flavor.

for a whey protein for basic drinks (mixed with ice, water and some almond milk) my personal favorite is Syntha6 chocolate cake by BSN and Gaspari MyoFusion probiotic series in chocolate.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I heard so many good reviews on ON, really wanna try it

I like Labrada's lean body for her meal replacement shakes they are great.

Just bought "Isopure Zero Carb Protein" (chocolate flavor) hvn't tried it yet!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you are really concerned about the makeup of your protein, www.truenutrition.com lets you build your own powder mix, and you can choose from a ton of different protein sources (egg, soy, whey, rice, hemp, etc), what percentage of carbs and fats to add to the mix, and quite a large selection of flavors. Considering their customizability, the price is awesome. I got two pounds of custom mix (nothing super fancy) for just under $30 shipped. Give them a go if you want!

This is really cool! I'm going to check this out. Thanks for the tip :)
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't be buying powders from walmart/GNC, they're typically VERY expensive there. Even Walmart is pretty expensive compared to online.

BB.com and smartpowders are both cheap. At either of those places you can pretty much get whatever you're looking for.

I try to keep at 4-5g or less per scoop of sugar, which can be hard to come by at with limited selections.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein.

Extreme Milk Chocolate and Mocha Cappuccino are my faves.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, the protein powder is simply a quick/easy replacement for a whole food source like chicken, eggs, etc. Generally it should be low in all other macros and high in protein. Some of the EAS stuff has more carbs and sugar than you find in other powders.

Whey protein is superior to Soy protein. Whey has what they call a higher biological value (BV) and protein efficiency ratio (PER)meaning that you actually get more of the protein from it than Soy when absorbed through the body. The levels of protein quality go in order Isolate > Concentrate > Hydrolysates. You pay more for Whey Isolate because it is 90-95% protein. However, the Isolate also removes all of the beneficial factors that improve immunity, intestinal health, and other positive overall health benefits that are found in a cheaper Concentrate (70-80% protein).

BV Of Common Proteins
    • Whey=104
    • Whole egg=100
    • Cow milk=91
    • Egg white=88
    • Beef=80
    • Casein=77
    • Soy=74
    • Beans=49

Taste will be personal preference. Here are some options I found the other day for a friend.

I've got 4 different ones, ranging in price from $15.98 to $26.98 for a 2lb container. If you take 1 scoop EVERY day these should last about 28-32 days. Flavors and taste will vary per person, I did find an overall Taste rating on Bodybuilder.com so I included that. The Body Fortress is the worst tasting, also the cheapest.

EAS is rated at 7.6 - 8 on taste for comparison. My trainer has me taking the Syntrax Matrix, it's what she has been using for years as a bodybuilder. I think they taste pretty good, the only one I didn't like is the Perfect Chocolate, but a lot of other people like that flavor. Syntrax Matrix is a whey concentrate with a blend of different types of protein, whey, casein, egg which absorbs fast, medium, and delayed. Optimum Nutrition is very well known and used by tons of bodybuilders, so you can't go wrong with it. It is a whey isolate. GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion is recommended by bodybuilders too, usually it's a cheaper price, but I found the Optimum Nutrition cheaper on that site. I think any of these will work for you.

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla 1.95 LB @ $15.98
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-2lb-Vanilla-Whey-Protein/10322404
    Protein: 30g / Calories: 170 / Carbs: 7 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 7.8 for Vanilla, 6.8 for Chocolate

SYNTRAX Matrix 2.0 Cookies and Cream 2.16 lbs @ $20.57
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/syntrax-matrix_20.htm
    Protein: 23g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 3 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 9+ for any flavor, Cookies & Cream is tasty

OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard @ $24.99
    Banana Cream 2 lbs
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optimum_nutrition-100_percent_whey_protein_gold_st.htm
    Protein: 24g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 4 / Sugar 1g
    Taste Rating: Vanilla Ice Cream is lowest at 7.9, all others 8.2-9.1 (Milk Chocolate or Mocha)

GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion Elite Protein Series 2lbs @ $26.89
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/gaspari_nutrition-myofusion_elite_protein_series.htm
    Protein: 25g / Calories: 150 / Carbs: 5 / Sugar <1g
    Taste Rating: 9.1 for Strawberries & Cream, 8.6 Peanut Butter, 8.0 Vanilla, 7.7 Milk Chocolate
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I get mine at walmart super advanced whey protein its 20 calories, 7 carbs, 26 g protein and 70 mg sodium. It comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. We prefer the vanilla

20 calories??? Better double-check that label.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I have a :sick: horrible reaction to lactose so unfortunately I toy with Muscle Milk from time to time. Still looking for more that taste good, without lactose, and optimal nutrition.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have a :sick: horrible reaction to lactose so unfortunately I toy with Muscle Milk from time to time. Still looking for more that taste good, without lactose, and optimal nutrition.

From what I understand Whey Isolate should be nearly lactose free. You would need a good quality Isolate and not Concentrate or lower. There is also Soy Isolate, although not the same high quality as Whey it would meet your needs.