Heart Rate Monitor..

Options
I just got one! Apparently I burned nearly 800 calories this morning when i went in for a small cleaning shift I do 3 times a week. I have set mfp to sedentary and so should I eat these calories back ? Seems like an awful lot!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    what was your average heart rate during this activity? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think HRM's are only accurate when used during an activity that gets your heart rate up.

800 calories seems like a lot to me as well, but I don't know what you did or how long it took you. Were you sweating heavily? Only you can decide if that was reasonable. Just make sure you understand that if your HRM measured 800, you don't really get 800 on top of your normal allowance - you have to subtract out what you would have burned during that time had you been doing your normal activity. MFP does this for you if you log the activity and include times and duration.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unless the HRM has a chest strap I wouldn't trust it. Spend a bit more money and get the one with the chest strap. 800 seems high for cleaning. It takes me an hour or so of hard biking to hit 800 calories.
  • Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Unless the HRM has a chest strap I wouldn't trust it. Spend a bit more money and get the one with the chest strap. 800 seems high for cleaning. It takes me an hour or so of hard biking to hit 800 calories.

well it was 3 hours of cleaning (half a building) plus walking there and back... the hrm I used does have a chest strap.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM monitor is designed for steady state cardio activity where your HR is significantly elevated for an extended period of time. Used otherwise you will get wildly inflated numbers as you've found out.