Eating back exercise calories made me gain - so confused

Options

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll give that a read. Those two numbers, TDEE and BMR are what I find confusing. I've been wearing BodyMedia Fit band that I thought was pretty accurate for my TDEE. I've worn it for about a month now and it tells me I burn an average of 2400 - 2500 calories in a 24 hour period. Is that number my TDEE or my BMR?

That's your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

BMR is what you'd need to stay alive in a coma, and is usually recommended to be the minimum you net (since you're not in a coma).

Aha. Got it.

So, in a nutshell my BMR is 1489.75 (which I just calculated using my current weight) and my TDEE is 2400 (according to BodyMedia). In order to lose weight I shoult be eating between 1489.75 and 2160 (-10% of TDEE) a day?

Does that sound right?

If your BMR is 1489 and your TDEE is 2400 ...then YES in order to loose weight you need to consume at least 2160 a day (-10% of your TDEE).

If you do the TDEE - 10% method....you SHOULD NOT be eating back your exercise calories because they are already built into your TDEE...base of your Bodymedia Fit.

I was like you and not loosing weight at all!!! I started this method two months ago and these are my results from March 2nd through May 3rd.

15x7kn9.jpg

I gained a few pounds the first couple of weeks.... It takes anywhere between 4 - 6 weeks to adjust if you've been eating at a large deficit for too long. I was eating 1200 - 1400 NET for about almost a year. I lost close to 50 lbs...yes, BUT I hit a plateau since August and it wasn't until March that I started eating NETTING 1900 - 2000 calories that I've started to loose the weight again.

Now I'm losing the weight but at a slow and steady pace. about a 1 lb a week and in two months I've lost 11 inches.

You look fantastic! You're doing an awesome job and I envy your progress :)

So, just because I'm thick - I should consume/GROSS 2160 calories a day and then ignore the NET since exercise & activity is already factored into the TDEE. Does that sound right?

Which calculator did you use? And yes, if you know your correct number, eat close to that and ignore the net :)
    \

I used this calculator for my TDEE
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And this one for my BMR:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Oddly enough, I just went to change the setting in my MFP to lightly active, current weight (153), exercise 3x a week for 60 minutes, lose .5 lbs and it put me at 1670.

MFP calculates that at 2160 a day I will GAIN 2.5 lbs by next month. Should I just totally ignore MFP?

I believe that this MFP calculation will not take into account your caloric burns for those 3 exercises at 60 minutes per week, so, for all intents and purposes, yes. Ignore MFP's recommendation and customize your daily intake to meet your needs.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So, just because I'm thick - I should consume/GROSS 2160 calories a day and then ignore the NET since exercise & activity is already factored into the TDEE. Does that sound right?

Theoretically, if your activity level is consistent. Have you tracked your daily TDEE over a time period to ensure it isn't all over the place? I'm just asking cause that will vary day to day based off your activity level. I don't know if the BodyFit thing does that or not.

Personally, I would estimate on the low side if it were me, so if I had a crappy couple of weeks activity wise it wouldn't really affect my losses.

The BodyFit (supposedly) measures your calorie expenditure - sleeping, sitting, working out etc. I wore it 24/7 for about 3 weeks which gave me the 2400 TDEE average. Earlier this week, I chucked it away in disgust after I stepped on the scale and became discouraged.

I'm pretty regular with my workouts since I'm training for this half at the end of May. I can be a little obsessive about my training routine. Apparently, I've been estimating too low and have somehow gained weight. So, I dunno.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I noticed the comments about the food scale went unaddressed by the OP. trying to do this without a food scale is like doing carpentry without a hammer.

This is 20% exercise, 80% diet.

80% of your relevant data is actually an unknown due to failure to answer questions about method of measurement, so I am baffled by some of the responses.

I have transformed my body by eating back exercise calories and simply managing my net deficits. I sometimes check calorie counts in multiple places, and I get my estimated burn from a heart rate monitor.

I have noticed a few mistakes in MFP suggested calorie counts but mostly good numbers. I came over from another app because this one is way better at helping me measure food. For instance I can record using decimals, in grams or in ounces, etc...

The net deficit method works very well for the average person, but you can adjust it once you have gathered data. Again, I can't stress just how important it is to have good data if you expect to be able to get help or help others.
  • donnacervelli11
    Options
    I noticed the comments about the food scale went unaddressed by the OP. trying to do this without a food scale is like doing carpentry without a hammer.

80% of your relevant data is actually an unknown due to failure to answer questions about method of measurement, so I am baffled by some of the responses.

I have transformed my body by eating back exercise calories. I sometimes check calorie counts in multiple places, and I get my estimated burn from a heart rate monitor.

I have noticed a few mistakes in MFP suggested calorie counts but mostly good numbers. I came over from another app because this one is way better at helping me measure food. For instance I can record using decimals, in grams or in ounces, etc...

The net deficit method works very well for the average person, but you can adjust it once you have gathered data. Again, I can't stress just how important it is to have good data if you expect to be able to get help or help others.

I think I might have mentioned before that I don't weigh my food. I do own a food scale, but it's difficult to use it consistently. What I tend to do is either eyeball my portions. Mostly I try to scan whatever I'm eating and measure that way. My salad mix or my veggies occasionally come in a neat little wrapped package with a barcode, so I scan those.

Other things tend not to be so cut and dry and then I'll go with whatever MFP has listed. So, if I eat a sandwich that kind of looks like one from say Cosi, or Au Bon Pain I'll log it as that. Otherwise I tend to break down my meals i.e salmon, 1 cup broccoli, 1 sweet potato etc.

I do forget to log things occaisionally, so sometimes it's me logging the next day, trying to recall what I ate.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do not follow that silly idea. Why would you eat back what you worked so hard to burn?
    Because MFP has you at a deficit already with your daily calorie goal - meaning you could eat to goal, do zero exercise, and you're at a deficit and will lose weight. Exercising and burning more calories creates an even larger deficit, which can lead to problems - that's why they add those burned calories back into your daily goal - you are supposed to eat them back.

Now this is assuming you entered all your info correctly when you set up MFP, going for a reasonable weight loss goal (as in, not 2lbs a week unless you've got 100+ pounds to lose, etc), and that all the food consumed is measured and accounted for correctly - the system works.

OP - as for the six pound gain - how long has it been since to switched to eating back exercise cals? Do you also take measurements and progress photos? Do you lift heavy? And how often do you weight - the body can easily fluctuate 6lbs in a week due to a new or harder workout, too much sodium & water retention, hormones, time of the month, etc.

Hard to offer more advice without more info - if you could make your diary public that might help. :smile: Hang in there - with only 17 pounds to lose, it's a pretty slow process anyway, and hard to be patient!

My current settings are to lose 1lb a week. I have myself set to 'sedentary' since I work a desk job.

I do lift, and it's pretty heavy for me. Normal weight session would be deadlifts 60lbs, squats 90lbs, power cleans 45lbs. I also do kettlebells and generally use the 25 - 35lb weights.

I run 3x a week now, since I'm training for a half. At this point it's 3.5 miles 2x a week and then a long run (6miles this week, 7. this upcoming).

I weigh in about once a week. Although now that I'm now obsessing about it, I've started weighing in every day. I thought it might be water retention, but a few weeks ago I posted about gaining 6lbs of water weight in a short period of time. Apparently, that's never gone away..:(

Maybe it's water retention? I don't really know anymore.

Good god woman, if you think that running three times a week and lifting heavy weights twice a week is "sedentary," then what category are people supposed to use if they sit on their *kitten* all day and don't move and dont EVER EXERCISE AT ALL????

YOU ARE NOT SEDENTARY and you will never get the results that you want at that setting. If you wear a BodyMedia Fit all day long, then at the end of the day, the total number is gives you is the total number that you burned that day. I bet it's close to 3000 calories some days, right? So you need to eat that, minus 10%. If you eat too big of a deficit, you will mess up the weight loss hormones and you will gain not lose.

And you can't go by your hunger. Not a reliable indicator. Remember, if you shock your poor body by giving it radically less calories that it requires, it will take drastic measures to adapt, including dialing your metabolism way back, which dials back your hunger too. And which primes you to gain like crazy with small increases in calories.

Take it from a girl who is eating an average of 2400-2600 calories a day and who lost 1 pounds last week (and who btw only exercises a small FRACTION of the amount that you do) that you need to eat MORE. Not just more in general, but the correct amount. You need to eat your total daily burn minus 10%.

BUMP!!!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

And this one for my BMR:

Oddly enough, I just went to change the setting in my MFP to lightly active, current weight (153), exercise 3x a week for 60 minutes, lose .5 lbs and it put me at 1670.

MFP calculates that at 2160 a day I will GAIN 2.5 lbs by next month. Should I just totally ignore MFP?

Your activity level is closer to moderate than lightly active. I would start with the the TDEE - 10% numbers. Give it a good month or so. Start using your food scale, log accurately, and increase your protein intake to 1 gram per pound of lbm. Also, as you are lifting, look at other guages of measurement than just your scale. Water weight fluctuates wildly, so the scale can be misleading. Because of body recomposition, it's pretty common with heavy lifters to go down in sizes but not weight. Go by how your clothes fit. Enjoy your training and congratulate yourself on gains there. :flowerforyou:

Make sure you log accurately (weigh your food!), or all of your number crunching will be for naught.
  • pcastagner
    Options

And this one for my BMR:

Your activity level is closer to moderate than lightly active. I would start with the the TDEE - 10% numbers. Give it a good month or so. Start using your food scale, log accurately, and increase your protein intake to 1 gram per pound of lbm. Also, as you are lifting, look at other guages of measurement than just your scale. Water weight fluctuates wildly, so the scale can be misleading. Because of body recomposition, it's pretty common with heavy lifters to go down in sizes but not weight. Go by how your clothes fit. Enjoy your training and congratulate yourself on gains there. :flowerforyou:

Make sure you log accurately (weigh your food!), or all of your number crunching will be for naught.

Nope. Activity level is not including exercise if you are logging exercise. Common mistake. I lost almost a month to that one.
  • pcastagner
    Options

I have transformed my body by eating back exercise calories. I sometimes check calorie counts in multiple places, and I get my estimated burn from a heart rate monitor.

I think I might have mentioned before that I don't weigh my food. I do own a food scale, but it's difficult to use it consistently. What I tend to do is either eyeball my portions. Mostly I try to scan whatever I'm eating and measure that way. My salad mix or my veggies occasionally come in a neat little wrapped package with a barcode, so I scan those.

Other things tend not to be so cut and dry and then I'll go with whatever MFP has listed. So, if I eat a sandwich that kind of looks like one from say Cosi, or Au Bon Pain I'll log it as that. Otherwise I tend to break down my meals i.e salmon, 1 cup broccoli, 1 sweet potato etc.

I do forget to log things occaisionally, so sometimes it's me logging the next day, trying to recall what I ate.

Well you have a decision to make. Do you want easy, or do you want effective?

Use the food scale if you choose effective. If you conclude it doesn't work with your food choices, that should be a lightbulb moment.

If I can do this on the road with limits on my food options in a foreign country, you can do this at home. Just get over the inertia and start with the premise that you will weigh your food.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Use the food scale if you choose effective. If you conclude it doesn't work with your food choices, that should be a lightbulb moment.

This is great advise. My friends/family don't like it, but I have "almost" cut out eating at restaurants with them...I simply find that one time you go to a "chilis" or "applebees" etc.. and the plate looks about right, the next time, I can tell it's more than it should be, etc..

I've been trying to stay away from places where serving sizes are really all over the place. And no, I don't consider that me "depriving" myself of anything, I consider it making a more informed choice!
  • esr71
    esr71 Posts: 2
    Options
    the starvation mode thing has been very well debunked so get that out of your head. Intermittent fasting works very, very well for tons of folks, further dispelling the starvation mode myth.

looks like you could benefit from cutting out refined carbs. substituting in some eggs and bacon for the oats and cereals will help you lose the fat.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    You're gonna be just fine. Just don't get caught up in the hype... :)
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    eating back calories is stupid and useless.

bro your very gong-ho about stuff..... such a broad statement is stupid and useless, if your trying to gain muscle you better be eating back calories you need a surplus, if you work out a lot you need to eat them back or else your body will shut down. Some cyclists burn over 2000 cals in a work out if they didnt eat that back they would pass out in the middle of a ride. if your trying to loose its just about having a steady deficit for example if I my BMR is 2300 and I set my cal deficit at 500 a day to loose a pound a week which is normal I would be needing 1800 a day right? well some days I have a 1400-1500 calorie burn if I dont eat any of them back that would only net me like 400 cals for the day which is stupid and useless.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    eating back calories is stupid and useless.

bro your very gong-ho about stuff..... such a broad statement is stupid and useless, if your trying to gain muscle you better be eating back calories you need a surplus, if you work out a lot you need to eat them back or else your body will shut down. Some cyclists burn over 2000 cals in a work out if they didnt eat that back they would pass out in the middle of a ride. if your trying to loose its just about having a steady deficit for example if I my BMR is 2300 and I set my cal deficit at 500 a day to loose a pound a week which is normal I would be needing 1800 a day right? well some days I have a 1400-1500 calorie burn if I dont eat any of them back that would only net me like 400 cals for the day which is stupid and useless.

Case in point I went on a ride (unplanned) the other day and wound up with almost 2000 calories of exercise logged. I ate them back, and it kept me from crashing and burning. I have been losing weight this week. Because I am running a deficit.

Math. Look into it.
  • Otterluv
    Options

Nope. Activity level is not including exercise if you are logging exercise. Common mistake. I lost almost a month to that one.

Not sure what you are "noping" here. My recommendation of following her TDEE - 10% already takes into account her activity. She would need to set her goals manually (using the "custom setting, instead of "guided"). That would mean not logging exercise (or entering it as 1 calorie burned, like lots of us do), because it's already worked in to her daily caloric goals. But, she needs to go with an accurate activity setting, which for her is moderately active (based on her description of her training schedule, not lightly active.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Doing the math right is cool, but I believe the problem is having too much faith in the numbers. Even assuming you've picked an approach that will give you a calorie deficit (either MFP or the TDEE-x% approach), the fact is you have to understand that every number you use is only an estimate.

For the first 3 months I used MFP I lost 1.5 pounds a week. It wasn't a smooth process--there were ups and downs, but it averaged out to 1.5 lbs a week like clockwork. But here's the thing... based on my estimates of calorie intake and my exercise burn I should have been losing at least 2 lbs a week.

I was weighing my food and using food labels, etc., and I have a Polar FT7 to give me my exercise burn, but the sad fact is I had to have been underestimating calories and/or the Polar was overestimating my burns. It was fine, though, because I'd set MFP to sedentary and a 1lb a week loss. I was not eating back my exercise calories (there were plenty of days when it appeared I netted under 1200--gee, I didn't fall over and die of malnutrition, and I continued to lose!).

So bottom line, every label, every food entry in food databases--those are all estimates. And I'd wager that underestimating calorie intake is much more likely than overestimating--especially when you eyeball serving portions (I'm guilty of that) or forget to log something (yep, that too). Calorie burn--if you get it from MFP or the exercise equipment, it could be off by quite a bit. Even HRMs--who knows how good the estimate is for you personally?

So if you're stuck on a plateau, the simplest explanation is that your numbers are lying to you. My recommendation is that before you go off down the path of "I'm in starvation mode!!" try to really bear down on weighing/measuring your portions. Make sure the MFP numbers make sense (i've seen plenty of incorrect entries out there). And if you're using the MFP approach, don't eat back all of your exercise calories (but do listen to your body--don't make yourself weak). And don't ever believe this is JUST simple math. Yes, the math is simple, but the data could be systematically off.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    we overcomplicate EVERYTHING!! Simplicity is key here...if you are losing great! if you are feeling a bit weak and hungry eat!!
    Do not follow the many false guidelines and fad diet and so called health practices on this site and other sources..just keep it simple and elegant

YAY!!!! K.I.S.S es all around!!!

(totally agree with this! BUT of you must count calories to keep yourself from overeating, like me, then I would advise doing the following.
    1- Calculate you BMR and TDEE (lots of tools online)
    2- Eat somewhere in the middle
    3- buy a food scale so your calories recorded are accurate (very important!)
    4-on days you do very high intensity workouts eat at least half of your calories back, but on low/easy days don't eat any back
    5- watch your sodium!!
    6-You want to consistently come in under your recommended carbs and over on the protein

If you are careful not to overestimate your calories burned, (maybe get a HRM...but even that has variance in accuracy) then you will lose weight if you do this.
  • Otterluv
    Options

I leave my food scale on the counter. When I get my plate, I set it on my scale & just hit tare in between items. It doesn't really take long & I trust it much more than I trust my eyes. Sometimes I'll eat out & what I'm having isn't in the database, then I will have to approximate what I'm eating. But, that's not too often. In order to evaluate whether or not your method is working, you need to have an accurate accounting of your calories. That's the piece that is missing, and until you have that, you are shooting blind.
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • donnacervelli11
    Options

I leave my food scale on the counter. When I get my plate, I set it on my scale & just hit tare in between items. It doesn't really take long & I trust it much more than I trust my eyes. Sometimes I'll eat out & what I'm having isn't in the database, then I will have to approximate what I'm eating. But, that's not too often. In order to evaluate whether or not your method is working, you need to have an accurate accounting of your calories. That's the piece that is missing, and until you have that, you are shooting blind.

I agree - I do have to be more consistent with the food diary. I understand that I need to use the scale. I have a digital one that sits on my kitchen counter, but I find it too bulky to carry around. I will start measuring my dinner portions, and I could probably start bringing lunch to work (conveniently pre-measured with my digital food scale).

What kind do you use? Do you carry it with you throughout the day?
  • Darmonatrix
    Darmonatrix Posts: 35
    Options
    i used to eat my calories earned from exercise back. lost about 1lb a week. nowadays i dont touch it. the weight drops off.