Runner's High?

Options
dennik15
dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
So I'm doing something similar to a C25K and have hit that mark where I'm running for 4 times longer than I'm walking, with 1 minute rest periods between intervals. I hear a lot about runners euphoria/high and I'm wondering if I'll ever get there, or if I'll recognize it if I do :tongue: . At the moment I'm still happier when I'm done than I am mid-run. Anyone?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The beginning of a run sucks for me. If I'm not pushing myself to up my pace, the middle sucks less, and in fact, sometimes gets to a point where it doesn't suck, but only if I'm at a moderate pace. When I'm done, once I've recovered, I feel awesome. That's about it, for me.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I get that after about 45 mins f running straight. No sooner. And I hate running.
  • dennik15
    Options
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who hates the first bit of a run. It seems so odd to me that the worst I feel is the first 5 minutes. Maybe some day I'll love running, at least I don't hate it now as much as I did 7 weeks ago. Thanks, ladies!
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me it hits at about 15-20 minutes in. The first 15-20 minutes really suck though. lol
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't really get runners high either, but after a hard run once I have showered and sat on the couch for about an hour I feel pretty damn good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The first sucky 10 minutes is your body protecting its fat stores by trying to get you to quit. It's evolutionary.

You get runner's high after you have embraced and worked through exhaustion. Think second wind. If you're not pushing yourself past that point, you probably won't get there.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    In the past few weeks I've started running for 4 minutes, then walking for about 1-2 minutes and repeating. When I'm running I absolutely love it, I have moments when I push myself too far and need to slow down slightly but other than that, I spend every second I'm running on a high. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but I just feel so happy as I'm doing it. I must look like a total psychopath to passers by.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I officially graduated today and I didn't get that feeling until I got to about 2 mile. At the 2 mile mark I get a feeling like I can do anything and keep going as long as I don't let my head get in my way. Its great...Just remember its not your legs giving out, its your head giving up. Once you get to the midway point of the program it is completely a mental game.

~Cat
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't experience the runners high on every run... which to me is the feeling where you could go on forever and you're in the "invincible" groove. Some runs just suck start to finish, but I always feel good at the end if nothing else for doing it.

When I do find the "high" it's usually 3-5 miles in. The first time someone told me they didn't enjoy running until after mile 3 I thought they were nuts, until I started running that distance. Then I understood. My first 10-15 minutes of the run I'm usually whining in my head about how miserable I am, then I get over it.

For me the C25K was more about the feeling of seeing how far I'd come and being proud and motivating me to continue than to find that runners high.
  • dennik15
    Options
    I officially graduated today and I didn't get that feeling until I got to about 2 mile. At the 2 mile mark I get a feeling like I can do anything and keep going as long as I don't let my head get in my way. Its great...Just remember its not your legs giving out, its your head giving up. Once you get to the midway point of the program it is completely a mental game.

~Cat

Congrats for graduating! To be honest, I never thought I'd make it this far. When I did the first day I was convinced that I would fail miserably, but then I made a committment to run with a really close friend and she has kept me motivated through this whole thing. Now I not only know I'll finish the program, but I'll continue running after completing the 5K I've signed up for. I've even lost the insecurity about running alone in public (I was convinced that everyone was staring at the fat girl "running"). The only mental hump I have to get over now is believing that I can run without the 1 minute rest periods. I know it's in my head, I just need to get out and do it :-).
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I find this really interesting... the people who do get it seem to all get it after at least 30 minutes...for me it's about the 35-45 minute marker. And I don't get it all the time, but when I do I feel lighter, faster, bouncier and like I could just go on forever! I am curious about the science behind this and what is really causing it.... Anyone got any articles?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't experience the runners high on every run... which to me is the feeling where you could go on forever and you're in the "invincible" groove. Some runs just suck start to finish, but I always feel good at the end if nothing else for doing it.

When I do find the "high" it's usually 3-5 miles in. The first time someone told me they didn't enjoy running until after mile 3 I thought they were nuts, until I started running that distance. Then I understood. My first 10-15 minutes of the run I'm usually whining in my head about how miserable I am, then I get over it.

For me the C25K was more about the feeling of seeing how far I'd come and being proud and motivating me to continue than to find that runners high.

^This is where I'm at. It usually kicks in around mile 3, if at all. Some runs I don't get it at all and very, very rarely, it will come sooner. The first mile is horrible. I have to try not to listen to the voice in my head telling me not to quit.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    For me it's 2-3 miles in - about 20-30 minutes. When it kicks in, it's easy to forget where you are. I have missed a few turns buzzing along at 6.5 MPH.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running, at least outside. I graduated the c25k on a treadmill last week. Yesterday I ran my first 5K. My legs never gave out on me, it was my breathing. When it got too labored, I would have to walk for a bit. I did it in 43:10 which for a beginner is not too shabby. I wish I could have just jogged more instead of having to walk as much.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It's quite normal to feel this way at first. You're still getting your running muscles. Just wait till you get into better shape and you'll get into that "zone" as I like to call it. It usually starts for me after the 1st mile and I'm good and warmed up.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I hate a run [any run] about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through (that's where I usually struggle) -- doesn't matter the distance, it's just always the same point during the run.

But I tend to hit my "high" around 5 or 6 miles into the run (and it can last me until 23 miles, or at least when I used to be in shape that's how long it would last. lol

**edit to add: It's different for everyone. Someone people have a high at the beginning or the very end of a run. For me it's based solely on time spent out running -- 45-60 minutes is when I get the high.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I get my runners high afterwards. It's the elation that I did something I never could have dreamed of in my 20s. The best feeling in the world.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My first mile sucks. I hate it and everything hurts.

mile 2-4 isn't so bad.

Mile 5 I usually get my runners high. Its like a tingly sensation from the back of my neck to the front of my head. I feel great I am light everything is better. I feel like I can run over cars and do things and think things that mere mortals will never understand.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running, at least outside. I graduated the c25k on a treadmill last week. Yesterday I ran my first 5K. My legs never gave out on me, it was my breathing. When it got too labored, I would have to walk for a bit. I did it in 43:10 which for a beginner is not too shabby. I wish I could have just jogged more instead of having to walk as much.

Hate to say it, lose the treadmill. If your doing 5ks the road is were you want to be. Awesome Time!! Its about pacing now. Look into interval work too to up your times.