Protein Bars

Options
Help!

There are so many types of protein bars out there and it gets so frustrating trying to find one that is low in sugar. I take a spinning class twice a week for 50 minutes and run 3x per week. I go right after work and do not have time to eat dinner before hand and by the time I get home and unwind from the day, I have no appetite once I am finished.

Is there something that you take that you would recommend either before or after class?

Thank you!

Liz

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My husband likes the pure Protein ones. They are low sugar, but do have sugar alcohols. A lot of chemically stuff (as most lower sugar ones will), if you care about that. For a bigger, more calorie heavy one, he loves the low sugar MetRx bars. Supreme CarbConcious ones, too. Detour lower sugar ones taste ok, too. But again, all of these have either artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols.

You could do a shake (Muscle Milk light premade ones aren't bad, or I really like Dymatize Iso100 powder) before class to see if that helps. Or food like some toast with peanut butter or a banana.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like KindPLUS, Larabars and LUNA bars.
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I have tried many, many, many different types of protein bars! and sadly most of them I can barely choke down. You also have to be very careful and read the ingredients label. A lot of them trying to be sneaky, say low sugar, but have high sugar alcohol. Personally for me I have found I like Herbalife. I like the Peanut Butter, Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Fudge. You usually buy it through a private distributor (A.K.A) individual person. But I have come to realize you can find the product on Amazon.

*disclaimer I do not sell the product, nor my trying to push the product!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are part of my daily breakfast- I'm partial to the peanut butter ones. When I feel like treating myself I have a box of Quest bars (snagged at the Arnold for $20!).
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    Life Lift by VPX
    Make your own :)
  • _lizzieanne08_
    _lizzieanne08_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This ia all great info...Thank you everyone!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Quest is low in carbs but full of fiber. Damn things stopped me up too much. Have switched back to Lunas, which are way tastier anyway.
  • akurtz102
    akurtz102 Posts: 7
    Options
    Quest bars and Dale's Raw Food Bars (only available online). No junk and low sugar with low carb variety. You can actually pronounce all ingredients on the label. I wouldn't trash my body with anything else; most of them resemble candy bars
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Quest is low in carbs but full of fiber. Damn things stopped me up too much. Have switched back to Lunas, which are way tastier anyway.

Fiber stopped you up? Maybe take a look at your water intake?
    Here is a rundown of the best and worst bars, http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/16/the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars/#the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars

Quest and Kind are at the top. Luna is at the bottom.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    QUEST QUEST QUEST QUEST

They are by far the best (some flavors much better than others.... fore warning)
    20g protein
    6g Net Carbs
    180-200 calories
    17g daily fiber
    Gluten Free
    Natural

And lots of flavors to choose from as well!!! Highly recommend!!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    For a cheap alternative, I love the Nature Valley Protein bars - 10 gr of protein, 190 cals. Not too sweet and very tasty!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I keep protein bars around for those desperate times, and usually have a Pure Protein or Quest bar. I also like to make my own and you can find several good recipes here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-apple-cinnamon-protein-bars.html
    My favorite recipe is for pumpkin bars with nuts.
  • mkadar66
    mkadar66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried many, many, many different types of protein bars! and sadly most of them I can barely choke down. You also have to be very careful and read the ingredients label. A lot of them trying to be sneaky, say low sugar, but have high sugar alcohol. Personally for me I have found I like Herbalife. I like the Peanut Butter, Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Fudge. You usually buy it through a private distributor (A.K.A) individual person. But I have come to realize you can find the product on Amazon.

*disclaimer I do not sell the product, nor my trying to push the product!

Sad that you have to put on the disclaimer.....I use Herbalife, I don't sell it...but as soon as you mention Herbalife, you are practically attacked saying, pyramid scheme, or pushing the product, or fill in the blank. I'm glad you like them. I liked the one I tried as well. I like the Lemon Luna bar....
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use Pure Protein bars. Although the numbers for Quest looks better. I think a good rule of thumb is to multiply the protein grams by 10 and if the calories are close to that then there shouldn't be too much filler or sugar.
  • sunshine5512
    sunshine5512 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So which ones of the Quest bars would you all recomend?

I just looked they are a bit pricy but I dont want to go and buy a whole box if they are not a good kind.

Suggestions?
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So which ones of the Quest bars would you all recomend?

I just looked they are a bit pricy but I dont want to go and buy a whole box if they are not a good kind.

Suggestions?

Coconut Cashew and Cookie dough
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I might have to buy some quest bars...,..them flavours sounds yummy......how many calories per bar?????
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My Go-To Low Sugar Protein Bars are:

Detour low sugar (caramel nut) Protein Bar!!

Pure Protein High Protein Bar (chocolate peanut butter) (chocolate deluxe) (chocolate peanut caramel)

All of them are very low sugar and Gives ya lots of Energy not to mention Totally Awesome Tasting!!!

I shopped around w/many different Protein bars....I highly recommend the above! Good Luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Another vote for quest! My favorites are coconut cashew and chocolate chip cookie dough (finally got my box today). They satisfy my sweet tooth and really fill me up too.

Amazon has sample packs, a bit more expensive (and they don't have the cookie dough one) but it gives you an idea. Or go to the vitamin shop or GNC and get a couple. The cheapest place to get them is GNC.com though (and if you have an ebate account, you get some money back). I paid like $22 with tax for my cookie dough box.
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    Quest bars all the way! Strawberry Cheesecake and Brownie are my favs. The all natural line has no sugar. They use Stevia as a sweetner. They are so worth the price. GNC almost always has them on sale. Buy 3 get 1 free or 25% a whole box.