seasonal light sensitivity and hypomania

Options
mank32
mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
***not sure if this is exactly the correct forum, so i apologize for any unintentional misclassification (and all you trolls can kiss my tiny, tiny @ss anyway).***

so i can finally notice the trend now, after several years of casual self-observation:

it's spring. the days are now really starting lighter earlier, getting brighter, and staying lighter long. i have more energy, more expansive and labile moods, and desire to exercise even more and harder. (this is of course a smidge of bipolar-ii with a splash of SAD). i am planning to use the heck out of this increased energy level. a summer ago or so i got into a routine of running in the a.m., longboarding a little during my workday, and longboarding again at night. (i have no idea how many calories a schedule like this burns.)

i have mixed feelings about this. on the one hand, having fibromyalgia has taught me to seize every 'good' moment that i have (because i never know when i'm going to be laid up with pain again). on the other, i'm kind of afraid of stoking the fires too big, if you know what i mean. i'm concerned that it may perhaps behoove me to try to regulate my energy level and keep it as level as possible rather than letting it burn high. i know i can modulate this to some degree by limiting my sun/light exposure, among other things. i just don't want my neurons to get too accustomed to firing in an unhealthy way. having a lot of energy and a good mood may *feel* good, but it may not necessarily *be* good, for your brain, you know?

no, i do not take any medication. no, i will not consider it. yes, i did take tons and tons of meds in the past. exercise is the best medicine i've found for my mood regulation.

insert stock question: does anyone else experience seasonal hypomania and/or SAD?

insert stock followup questions: how do you cope? do you try to regulate or do you just ride it out? do you think it's harmful to 'take advantage' of seasonal hypomania (i.e. use the energy to fuel your endeavors) rather than keeping a more even keel?