What's important: length, girth or firmness?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like this thread. :flowerforyou:

But, for foam rollers the firmness is most important. Some people like Rumble Rollers.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You can have all three, but if you dont know how to use it, it would still not get the job done.

^^ Truth

You have to have a passion for what you're doing, not just rolling through the motions.
    Lmao ????????????
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Must be firm....
    Ever tried to shoot pool with a limp piece of spaghetti...same rule applies.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Again, serious question, but innuendo unavoidable:

Do I need to start up gently and build up to a more rigorous rolling, and does it have to hurt to be doing me good?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Or are position and action all that matters?

I need a foam roller to iron out some hip and knee niggles from running and there are so many factors to take into consideration!

I think length and girth are a matter of personal preference, but you're not going to get much done without firmness.

^^ this (also in for having this show on my feed)
    dBNKQ_zpsc08522b3.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    ...girth.

But really all three are important in varying degrees; you're gonna need to find something that works for you.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Just used one of these during the stretch on Saturday for the first time... it is especially useful to work out the kinks in your groin.

True Story!

Now, you absolutely need the proper firmness. For girth, I'd go with "coffee can" size. For length, nothing short of a foot will do.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Clicked in when I saw the title! LOL!

But in response to your question we got the Rumbleroller in original (blue) density. It's a bit painful and may not be the best for a "foam roller virgin." Longer is better to get both legs at the same time. Shorter if you're only working one leg at a time.

Here's a good one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B006GUCAFG/ref=sr_1_13?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1368023189&sr=1-13
    So you're saying it was too firm for a virgin?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.

Mine isn't very long, but it's very firm and has a decent amount of girth. (I felt dirty just typing that :blushing: )
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Now, you absolutely need the proper firmness. For girth, I'd go with "coffee can" size. For length, nothing short of a foot will do.

:noway:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Just one foot? I'd worry I'd roll straight off.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    As a beginner you should be looking to get your hands on as many as possible to see what you might like.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hahahah yesss
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Disappointed.

I don't think this thread means what I thought it meant. :angry:

Entertained nonetheless! :laugh:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I like to use mini balls, about 5 inches in diameter, and inflatable so you can adjust the firmness.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just want IN! :glasses:
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Love the title... that's all :-)
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When I start to sweat and swear, that's when you know it's being done right.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You can have all three, but if you dont know how to use it, it would still not get the job done.
    QFT
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here's a good one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Performance-Revolutionary-Roller/dp/B006GUCAFG/ref=sr_1_13?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1368023189&sr=1-13
    [/quote]

^^This is my favorite as well. I actually have the shorter one... Surprise, length is a nice feature. :)