7 Days into 30DS (30 Day Shred) info swap

Options
I started 30 Day shred the 1st of may and run 2 miles a day in addition to the 30DS.

I initially had very sore muscles and could not do all of the first circuit strength due to lack of upper body strength (those squat and presses are murder after push-ups!)

I took one day off after day 4 due to soreness in my arms and since then i have not been sore at all and I successfully completed the workout using 5 pound weights (8 for chest flys) The first strength circuit still wears me out and I am not at the point if like to be with push-ups. hoping once i hit day 10 ill be ready to bump up to level 2.

Who else out there is doing 30DS?
results? Days off vs straight through? comparison of level difficulty? Girls make fun of me for being a guy doing 30DS lol

thoughts and comments appreciated

Replies

• taytay9955
    taytay9955 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm running about 2 miles a day and have been thinking about adding 30day shred to my work out sounds like it is a challenge I'll go ahead and order it on amazon .
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I started 30ds on Monday and haven't been able to do it since. My plan was to do it every other day but this morning I woke up a lot more sore than I was yesterday so that didn't happen. I think I am at the peak of my soreness today so plan on doing it tomorrow and hopefully will be able to get through it. My goal is to be able to do it 2-3 days a week in addition to spin class 2-3 days a week.

I am doing 30ds in hopes of building a baseline and develop good form for heavier lifting routines. Currently, I can barely do 5 pushups from my knees so hopefully by the end I will make it through all of the pushups without having to use my knees.
  • Orangekoalas
    Orangekoalas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i do the 30 day shred plus yoga in the morning and the may squat and plank challenge, i don't do the 30 day shred on Thursday's when i do an hour swimming training session instead and take Sunday off if i have to, i restarted on Monday since failing due to my own laziness beforehand.
  • theflash777
    theflash777 Posts: 17
    Options
    I started 30ds on Monday and haven't been able to do it since. My plan was to do it every other day but this morning I woke up a lot more sore than I was yesterday so that didn't happen. I think I am at the peak of my soreness today so plan on doing it tomorrow and hopefully will be able to get through it. My goal is to be able to do it 2-3 days a week in addition to spin class 2-3 days a week.

I am doing 30ds in hopes of building a baseline and develop good form for heavier lifting routines. Currently, I can barely do 5 pushups from my knees so hopefully by the end I will make it through all of the pushups without having to use my knees.

Honestly try to do 2 or 3 days in a row and then take a day off if u feel its possible... it might take a few times but the soreness will go away when your body gets use to the program but it will never adapt if you don't do it somewhat consistently.

you can def do it! at least the cardio sections and try to do as much of the strength as possible.

remember the biggest challenge is in your head. once you make it three days in a row take a 1 day break and get in on it again. remember muscle soreness is best cured by Using the sore muscles. (hair of the dog that bit you) good luck!
  • theflash777
    Options
    i do the 30 day shred plus yoga in the morning and the may squat and plank challenge, i don't do the 30 day shred on Thursday's when i do an hour swimming training session instead and take Sunday off if i have to, i restarted on Monday since failing due to my own laziness beforehand.

what kind of results are you seeing from the plank challenge? I am very curious about how much noticeable difference that makes. and I 100% envy you for getting to swim!
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be day 10 on level 1 for me :) I took a break after 5 days and have missed 1 day since then. I do it in the morning before I get ready for work. Whew! That's some dedication! I was used to doing some other Jillian Michael's DVDs and some Tae Bo so I wasn't nearly as sore as I thought I would be. But yes the squat and press after the push ups are crazy! My biggest problem is my lower legs becoming sore after doing jumping jacks and jump ropes! I am excited to continue with the rest of it! I have seen a lot of great before and after pics on here and I hope I can add my own :) Good luck!
  • theflash777
    Options
    Tomorrow will be day 10 on level 1 for me :) I took a break after 5 days and have missed 1 day since then. I do it in the morning before I get ready for work. Whew! That's some dedication! I was used to doing some other Jillian Michael's DVDs and some Tae Bo so I wasn't nearly as sore as I thought I would be. But yes the squat and press after the push ups are crazy! My biggest problem is my lower legs becoming sore after doing jumping jacks and jump ropes! I am excited to continue with the rest of it! I have seen a lot of great before and after pics on here and I hope I can add my own :) Good luck!

thanks for the input!

I honestly (even after running) never had an issue with any of the cardio but i ran for 6 months (somewhat consistently) before starting.

if those squat and press workouts swapped places with the squat and shadow boxing I'd be all gravy (excuse the unhealthy food reference)

i am honestly not looking to loose much weight (already lost 60+ lbs) i just want to be and shape and get rid of that protective layer of fat that lightly seems to cover my stomach lol
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't know I think that doing it every day might be counter productive to me. I just finished reading NROLFW and while this doesn't even compare to that, it stresses the importance of giving your muscles time for recovery if you truly want to build strength. (I do not have any right now. I am using 3-5 pound weights and feel like I am dying) My muscles are sore so I know I am using them in ways that they aren't used to so while easing into the program, I think it is important to give myself time to recover rather than over train in the beginning. If I give myself time to recover, I will be able to put a lot more effort into my workouts therefore getting a lot more out of them. I can't even walk up and down stairs right now without cringing so how much effort am I going to be able to put into doing squats? In a few weeks, I know that I won't feel like this and will be able to do it more because the same thing happened to me last time I did a program that involved strength training. After a few weeks I didn't feel the soreness and was able to do it every day. When you get to that point, I think it is time to make things more difficult. Step up the weights or move on to the next level of the routine. The soreness is good. It means you are challenging your muscles!
  • theflash777
    Options
    I don't know I think that doing it every day might be counter productive to me. I just finished reading NROLFW and while this doesn't even compare to that, it stresses the importance of giving your muscles time for recovery if you truly want to build strength. (I do not have any right now. I am using 3-5 pound weights and feel like I am dying) My muscles are sore so I know I am using them in ways that they aren't used to so while easing into the program, I think it is important to give myself time to recover rather than over train in the beginning. If I give myself time to recover, I will be able to put a lot more effort into my workouts therefore getting a lot more out of them. I can't even walk up and down stairs right now without cringing so how much effort am I going to be able to put into doing squats? In a few weeks, I know that I won't feel like this and will be able to do it more because the same thing happened to me last time I did a program that involved strength training. After a few weeks I didn't feel the soreness and was able to do it every day. When you get to that point, I think it is time to make things more difficult. Step up the weights or move on to the next level of the routine. The soreness is good. It means you are challenging your muscles!

I hear ya. and by no means am i saying you should do it every day. just make sure u don't take to much time between workouts... and if your having knee and joint pain u absolutely need a break but muscle soreness... normally that's not going to cause injury. you might want to get some 1-2 pound weights...

I am a guy and the 5 pounds nearly kills me simply because I have never lifted. If you ever can't do something bump down your weight for that one thing but if u find something easy bump it up!

keep it up!!!
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be day 8 of level 1.i am sore but im going straight through..i am also doing walking videos and a old school game work out for ps2 called yourself fitness.im happy to see a guy doing 30 day shred.cuz most guys dont know how hard she pushes you.my dad was shocked i was doing it cuz he said shes tough
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is the bomb. I had completed the 30 Day Shred and never felt better. I then alternated two of her other DVDs one for Metabolism and the other for Trouble Zones. I was running every other day and doing her Yoga DVD every other morning. I dropped down to a size 8 and then I injured my hip. I was doing too much so my advice is take it slow and do what you re comfortable with. I became depressed with the pain and insurance denying tests and then refusing my doctor recommended surgery. I now have to do physical therapy every day. I jumped up to 170 pounds and a size 16. Keep on mind I stand 4'9"
    So please remember you are your own master and if you feel you need to take it slower or take time off, listen to your body. I am now starting all over again but a Jillian Michaels DVD is still months away. :'( If you wouldn't mind I would like to dd you as a friend as I would be interested in seeing what you end up thinking of Jillian Michaels after level 3. :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    OK.

As someone who's done this a few times, it works and it's great! The workout helped me believe that I could be fit cause I saw it working better than anything I ever tried.

First time I did 30DS, I did it pretty much everyday, taking three days off for the entire 30 days. Second time, I did it 30 days straight. Everyone is different, some people need to rest (or want to). After doing 30DS the first time, the DOMS never returned. Listen to your body.

The soreness will pass, should pass from D4/5 and onward.. just be patient. If you think it's REALLY bad and I mean you can't get out of bed bad, then rest. But it will pass. Just keep going.
  • athybaby
    athybaby Posts: 7
    Options
    I finished my Day 6 today. I also try to do something else, such as walking 3-4 miles or a cardio based DVD workout. I wanted to do 30DS every day, but Sundays and Mondays are a little too hectic. Though in retrospect, I think my body really needed the rest so I'm going to keep the 2-day break in my schedule.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am on just Day 3. I have crazy soreness in my arms and chest. I was going to push through, but maybe I will take one day off to see if the soreness fades like it did for you... *ouch*
  • theflash777
    Options
    I am on just Day 3. I have crazy soreness in my arms and chest. I was going to push through, but maybe I will take one day off to see if the soreness fades like it did for you... *ouch*

Good Luck, (make sure your icing and heating after workouts. It definitely helps me.
  • theflash777
    Options
    I finished my Day 6 today. I also try to do something else, such as walking 3-4 miles or a cardio based DVD workout. I wanted to do 30DS every day, but Sundays and Mondays are a little too hectic. Though in retrospect, I think my body really needed the rest so I'm going to keep the 2-day break in my schedule.

I def think you get the same results with 1 or 2 breaks a week as long as you keep going. Depending on your fitness level it might even help since you preform poorly if your simply to sore to do the workout and a day off allows you to actually do the work out.

Good Luck!
  • theflash777
    Options
    OK.

As someone who's done this a few times, it works and it's great! The workout helped me believe that I could be fit cause I saw it working better than anything I ever tried.

First time I did 30DS, I did it pretty much everyday, taking three days off for the entire 30 days. Second time, I did it 30 days straight. Everyone is different, some people need to rest (or want to). After doing 30DS the first time, the DOMS never returned. Listen to your body.

The soreness will pass, should pass from D4/5 and onward.. just be patient. If you think it's REALLY bad and I mean you can't get out of bed bad, then rest. But it will pass. Just keep going.

Mind if I ask what kinda results you had? (and did you add anything to it or just 30DS?
  • theflash777
    Options
    Tomorrow will be day 8 of level 1.i am sore but im going straight through..i am also doing walking videos and a old school game work out for ps2 called yourself fitness.im happy to see a guy doing 30 day shred.cuz most guys dont know how hard she pushes you.my dad was shocked i was doing it cuz he said shes tough

lol glad I could be an encouragement!
  • FiestyIrish
    FiestyIrish Posts: 42
    Options
    I think it's great that a guy is doing 30DS. Jillian Michaels is one tough cookie and that workout can kick anyone into shape! I ran through 30DS in the beginning of the year and while pounds didn't fall off, inches did. I was walking 4 miles a day while doing it so I'm not sure how much of the success was 30DS alone.

The soreness was pretty miserable at first but around day 4 everything seemed to just get easier. I added some easy relaxation yoga that I did in the evenings and I'm convinced that helped tremendously with the muscle discomfort.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    OK.

Mind if I ask what kinda results you had? (and did you add anything to it or just 30DS?

In Jan, I just did 30DS straight, I think I lost 10" all around (last 20" last August from it), in Feb, I still did 30DS but started doing HIIT and heavy lifting. March til May, I participated in classes at the Y, started Stronglifts 5x5, HIIT once in awhile eventually doing Soccer for my cardio. I get bored a lot so I try to change it up. Now I am doing 30DS again, just for the extra edge and it really helped me cut down on my lower belly fat.

I hope you don't mind pics but this is from January 1 to May 7 19593344_384.jpg

30DS will work for you if you give it all you've got :smile: