Bodymedia fit

Has any use the BodyMedia fit?!? Pros/cons??

Replies

• Hoodie16
    Hoodie16 Posts: 13 Member
    I just got the BodyMedia Fit armband on May 8th. So far I am happy with my purchase. It's nice to see how many calories I am burning throughout my entire day and what my calorie deficit is. I am feeling more motivated with the armband than when I didn't have it. I also love that it tracks your sleep and you can see how often you are waking up during the night.

I am disappointed that it doesn't calculate my physical activity well when riding bike. To combat this I put the armband on my calf when I ride and then it does a good job of logging my physical activity. If you just had a regular pedometer it wouldn't calculate it at all so the BodyMedia Fit is still better than a pedometer only.

I am also disappointed it does not track your heart rate. I've never had a heart rate monitor but I think it would be nice to know. However, the BodyMedia Fit does track other things that is suppose to determine if you are doing moderate activity or vigorous activity. The armband does sync with a certain brand of heart rate monitors though (can't think what one off the top of my head).

These are the only two disappoints I have and they are pretty miniscule. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting more "data" about their calorie burn.
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    I've had a bodybugg for over a year. I just switched subscriptions from bodybugg to bodymedia just so I could start syncing the information to my MFP account. I dont have anything negative to say about wearing the armband. I feel more motivated on days when I do wear it, and I check it constantly... its nice to be able to see where you're at during the day and decide if you need to spend extra time at the gym that night... or just do a little more walking at work.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail!! I can't wait, I feel like a kid at Christmas! Lol
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    I've been wearing the LINK armband since April 26th and LOVE it. The only thing I dislike is I wish the charge would last longer than 5-6 days. But it's kept me more accountable for my exercise and how much to eat each day and my weight loss has been more steady as opposed to losing a lot one week and a lot less the next 2 weeks.
  • reesiesteve
    reesiesteve Posts: 3 Member
    There will be a new bodymedia fit (the bodymedia core2) coming out in August 2013 - smaller (like size of a quarter), more accurate, bluetooth enabled, and rumored to have a heart strap assessory.

I started with a bodymedia advantage 3 years ago, upgraded to a bodymedia link in 2012, and will be pre-ordering the new one. I also have the withings wi-fi scale that talks to bodymeda and mfp. I hate there is a monthy subscription but I got over it. I love my data! I don't think I would have made smart choices I've made about my fitness without the feedback bodymedia has given me. It gives the data to keep running that much further and choose better meals. All for the satisfaction of see my progress line go down!

I also have sleep issues so the sleep information has helped tremendously.

Love bodymedia!
    (oh did I mention that you can hook bodymedia up to walgreens balance point rewards account and get points for your activity? I almost have $5!)
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member

I am disappointed that it doesn't calculate my physical activity well when riding bike. To combat this I put the armband on my calf when I ride and then it does a good job of logging my physical activity. If you just had a regular pedometer it wouldn't calculate it at all so the BodyMedia Fit is still better than a pedometer only.

I am also disappointed it does not track your heart rate. I've never had a heart rate monitor but I think it would be nice to know. However, the BodyMedia Fit does track other things that is suppose to determine if you are doing moderate activity or vigorous activity. The armband does sync with a certain brand of heart rate monitors though (can't think what one off the top of my head).

I started with a Fitbit but after 2 weeks of continuous problems and inaccuracies I returned it and got a Bodymedia Fit Link. I thoroughly explored their website and read all the articles and news releases and became more and more impressed. This is the only device of its type recognized as a medical device. The main "con" I hear concerns the appearance and comfort of the armband itself. However they do have other armband colors and decals you can apply to the face to dress it up. As to comfort, I rarely am aware of wearing it. It does not have to be worn tightly to register. In fact if it is leaving an impression it is probably too tight. (I have very soft, flabby upper arms from weight loss and the band itself does leave a slight indentation) As to the above quoted complaint: altho a specific position is recommended I have read many users do find for certain activities (bicycling, spinning, elli[tical) that there is better accuracy if worn on the calf. My usual exercise is the Leslie Sansone "walking" DVD's and I feel the calorie burn it registers to be very accurate (in that I get consistently the same numbers every time.) I also wear it on my calf for sleep because I sleep in a fairly upright/sitting position and it couldn't tell I was lying down--it just registered as inactive. I feel on my calf it is actually showing my (crappy) sleep patterns. (The Fitbit required you to push a button and place it in a wrist band for sleep and then push a button again in the morning I couldn't keep mine in the wrist band and usually found it in the bed or on the floor.) As to the other complaint about it not registering HR--there is a new CORE II coming out this Fall that will have an optional chest strap to sync and measure HR. It is also going to be much smaller (about the size of quarter . You can find out about it on their website. And I think the other important "con" is that to use the Activity Manager which gives you all the information costs a monthly fee. I do not find it to be excessive and I am on Social Security which is an extremely restricted income. The money is used for development of new products so I think it's well spent.
  • designgirl08
    designgirl08 Posts: 9 Member
    Me too!!! Mine comes tomorrow!