Don't Hide From The Camera

Options
http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-youre-feeling-too-fat-to-be-photographed/

I just finished reading this link and it literally brought a tear to my eye. Mind you I cry at the drop of a dime but still... it's beautiful and I never really looked at it this way before. I'm always preaching about how we should love ourselves and have confidence. Which I like to think I do have confidence. However, one thing I notice is how I FLEE from the camera. The only pictures I like are the ones that I take. I feel nauseous any time I see myself in anyone else's photos because the first thought is "Oh my god, now everyone will see how disgusting I look!". This article was an eye-opener for me because it never occured to me that the people who are photographing me SEE me. They LOVE me. They just want visual representations of these memories. For so many years I have fled from a photo and when I see one of me rather than look at the good time all I can see is me and how gross I think I look. The fact of the matter is that no one else is really looking at that. What they are looking at is "Wow, I had so much fun that night!"

I just thougth maybe you guys would enjoy this article as much as I have. :)

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I preach this stuff all the time!! I am a photographer because pictures are important to me. In 20 years, that $2000 tv that I bought will be worthless, but the pictures I have paid for of my kids and moreso of myself with my kids will be invaluable!! My sister in law passed away about a year and a half ago. When we first found out she was sick, I begged her to let me take family pictures.....there was always a reason why she couldn't. Four months later, she passed away....there is not one picture of their whole family together. I know how much her kids would've valued that.......feeling fat, insecure, bad hair days.....so irrelevant!
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I will have to give that a read later. Thanks for posting Mia. (don't think you could take a bad picture..truth)
    :( about SIL Catrinah
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I hate to have my picture taken as I am so big. I read something acouple years ago that if you are the one always taking the pictures then it is like you were never a part of the life. I think about that and think my grand children love me for me and they only know me this way. So I have my picture taken and as I lose I can tell and that helps. My grand daughter Paytn tells me she loves me and when I feel better(lose weight) we can take her babies for walks to the park.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    2445f3c1-19da-4c81-8109-ee5829b3c8cb_zps0607d2c2.jpg
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    2445f3c1-19da-4c81-8109-ee5829b3c8cb_zps0607d2c2.jpg

BNWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Here is the funny thing that has NEVER occured to me before now. These people who are taking the photos of me, my friends & family, they all know what I look like. They see me in person. They love me. I am the only one who is thinking "Oh god I look disgusting." It makes me think of high school where I would be caught in a random photo for band or something and I would tell my mom how much I hated it and I wish they wouldn't take it and she would tell me "I am just glad to see my beautiful baby girl."

Makes my heart break to think of how I haven't seen her in 5 years and she doesn't really have any photos of me. Not real photos. Definitely no family photos... so sad...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    psych2.gif