5X5 strong lift program

Options
fatboy235
fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
Another member on MFP recommended this program to me since it's been a few years training with weights. Are any of you doing this program or have in the past.

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do it, but am thinking about moving to Starting Strength (similar concept)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    there is a group on here Stronglifts 5x5 for Women...i think you will find everything you need ...I am doing SL..and love it. Its not overly complicated..and i am seeing some strength gains..I just need to be more consistent..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I did it for about a year... good solid program.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 3x5 I like it. I would do starting strength, but I can't figure out how to do a clean properly by myself.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and love it so far. Be sure to get the app on your phone. It tracks everything for you and prompts you on each set with weight, reps, etc.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Dumb question: I know that one of the 5's stands for 5 reps. But the other 5? Is it 5 sets of 5 reps?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and I love it. I second getting the free Stronglifts app, it tracks everything.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Dumb question: I know that one of the 5's stands for 5 reps. But the other 5? Is it 5 sets of 5 reps?

yep... 5 sets of 5 reps
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend you get the book Starting Strength. Even if you're going to do Stronglifts, SS will give you way more information about proper form.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started on it - it was great. My only issue was that, because I run as well, squatting every session started bothering my knee once my weights got up there (with lighter weights, it was no problem). I recently switched to Wendler 5/3/1 because of that. However, I think Strong Lifts was the best way to get into weight lifting and helped me tremendously.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I am also thinking of starting this. I have joined the group, now just need to read the info!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options

yep... 5 sets of 5 reps

Thank you!!!
  • mikejholmes
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 3x5 I like it. I would do starting strength, but I can't figure out how to do a clean properly by myself.
    I admit I haven't tried it yet, but the instructions in the book make it sound very do-able. Have you actually tried? It's on my to-do for the weekend workout.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump for the helpful info!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I started on it - it was great. My only issue was that, because I run as well, squatting every session started bothering my knee once my weights got up there (with lighter weights, it was no problem). I recently switched to Wendler 5/3/1 because of that. However, I think Strong Lifts was the best way to get into weight lifting and helped me tremendously.

I've also switched to Wendler's 5/3/1... IMO Wendler is a more advanced approach and beginners should start with a 5x5 program almost regardless. If they are running or doing something else that "competes" with the lifting, they should program based on priority (running or lifting) rather than go to a more advanced program.

Just my $.02.
  • mikejholmes
    Options
    there is a group on here Stronglifts 5x5 for Women...i think you will find everything you need ...I am doing SL..and love it. Its not overly complicated..and i am seeing some strength gains..I just need to be more consistent..
    I'm not sure why a guy would want to be part of that group...?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I love it. I downloaded jefit app to track things.
  • mikejholmes
    Options
    [snip]
    IMO Wendler is a more advanced approach and beginners should start with a 5x5 program almost regardless.
    [snip]

You're dissing Starting Strength's 3x5?!?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I've also switched to Wendler's 5/3/1... IMO Wendler is a more advanced approach and beginners should start with a 5x5 program almost regardless. If they are running or doing something else that "competes" with the lifting, they should program based on priority (running or lifting) rather than go to a more advanced program.

Just my $.02.

I get what you're saying, but I'm selfish and I refuse to give up either one. So, I'll use Wendler to make it work for me. I wouldn't recommend that someone start off with Wendler, but I also wouldn't consider myself a beginner. I did Strong Lifts for 6 months. My form is on point. I get adequate nutrition. I've read Starting Strength and Wendler's book. I research and educate myself on lifting. And, I'm moving a pretty decent amount of weight (265lb squat 1rm at 181lbs body weight).

Weight lifting is more the priority right now - my mileage isn't very high, maybe 12 miles a week? And when I start training for big race I have in February (which will require me to really ramp up my miles), strength training will take a back seat (2 days a week, deloaded weights, which the Wendler program will allow me to do very nicely).

Thanks for your concern, but I'm good :)
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone who responded. I downloaded the app for the iPhone and am re-reading the pdf from the 5x5 site. If anyone would like to add me to their friend list feel free to do so. Also if you have any recommendations to help with the program please share them.

Thanks
    Fatboy235
    aka Gary