Got toenails???

Options
krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
Hey Runners,
How many of you lose toenails...with summer coming..i love to wear flip flops but i must say my feet are a fright to look at...callouses and missing toenails...any way to prevent losing those toenails?...I love getting pedicures but my thought is why spend money on a pretty pedi when i know my feet are going to look gross in a week;P

Replies

• Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You're losing toenails because you shoes don't fit you properly. They are too small so your toes pound against the top of the toe box until the nail bruises and falls off to replace with a new one. Go to a running store ( I suggest fleet feet if you have them) Have a professional fit you for a new pair. You shoe should be one half to a full size larger than what your typical shoe size is to account for swelling on long distances.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from this when I ran a lot for me (20-40 miles a week). I finally found shoes that fit perfectly and no longer had a problem. A friend of mine now wears those five finger shoes and her feet are gorgeous.

So maybe a change in footwear brand/style is in order. Good luck and happy running!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Davey has a toenail. :heart:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Maybe new running shoes? I never lost a toenail but when I had cheaper running shoes, some of my toenails would peel and look bruised or like they were bleeding under the nail. I just trimmed my nails short and suffered through it but I eventually had to replace those shoes and I sprung for some better quality running shoes-- haven't had that issue again and I run longer and faster than I did with my older shoes.
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not a runner, but while training for the Avon Walk I did lose my big toenails. I actually went for my pedicure and she painted the toe with the missing nail. It didn't last but take your own polish for her to use and then you can touch up daily. She cuts my toenails very short now but haven't been walking like I used to so don't know if that helps yet or not. Your pedi will help with those callouses as well.....pamper yourself even with the missing toenails :flowerforyou:
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store...and got fitted and love my Sauconys....they are like running on air...its seems when my sneakers get stretched out is when i have the most problems...probaby time for a new pair of kicks...got these 6 months ago and no they were not cheap...i try to get 600 miles out of them before i change my kicks..
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It can be caused by having your toenails too long or not having your shoes fit properly. My running shoes are a half size bigger than my regular shoes, so my toes never touch the end. I've been running for 10 years and have only had an injury to a toenail once.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Clip your toenails..
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Run barefoot. It keeps the toenails attached and the blisters away.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I still have all my toenails but the second toe on each foot is black. It doesn't hurt at all but it does look slightly odd. I swear the shoes are more than big enough. None of my toes seem to reach the end of the shoes. I keep the toenails filed down short as possible but it doesn't seem to matter. I started getting these when I upped my miles to around 150 miles a month. Before that it wasn't an issue. *shrugs*
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I lost two this year already.

Pretty sure the toe box of my shoes weren't big enough.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm not a marathon runner or anything like that, but I echo what others have said. Your shoes are too small/nails too long. My toe nails never touch the end of my shoe, and I've never had any issue with missing or damaged toe nails.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Clip your toenails..

And get new shoes
    Or........
    Run barefoot. It keeps the toenails attached and the blisters away.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    New shoes. Monthly pedi. Worked for me.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Definitely need bigger shoes. I almost lost a toenail recently because I decided to wear an older pair of shoes that were too small for a longer run. Once I got shoes that were a full size bigger, I stopped having issues.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've run 12 marathons and who knows how many halfs, 10 milers, 10ks, and 5ks, and I've never had any toenail issues. I keep my toenails short and buy shoes with plenty of space (I swear by the Asics Gel Nimbus, one size up from my usual dress shoe size), and that seems to work for me. Though I've gotten plenty of callouses and blisters. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself to a pedi even if your feet are a little worn, but I generally tell them to leave the callouses alone--they're just going to come back and callouses seem to keep the blisters away.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're losing toenails because you shoes don't fit you properly. They are too small so your toes pound against the top of the toe box until the nail bruises and falls off to replace with a new one. Go to a running store ( I suggest fleet feet if you have them) Have a professional fit you for a new pair. You shoe should be one half to a full size larger than what your typical shoe size is to account for swelling on long distances.

^this...all of this...even the part about Fleet Feet (which until just now, I thought was an exclusively eastern Missouri thing).
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store...and got fitted and love my Sauconys....they are like running on air...its seems when my sneakers get stretched out is when i have the most problems...probaby time for a new pair of kicks...got these 6 months ago and no they were not cheap...i try to get 600 miles out of them before i change my kicks..

When mine stretch I throw them in the washer, then dyer - they come out like new!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree that it is probably ill-fitting shoes. Don't be afraid to invest in some good running shoes that fit really well. Not only will they save your toenails, but they'll also save your ankles, knees and hips.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I lost half a toenail because I got a new pair of shoes that were too small (promptly exchanged) and I just painted the remaining nail and the toe to look like the nail was intact. If you use a dark polish, no one will be the wiser. Trust me!