Avocado Advice

2»

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I just had one today for lunch! They are ready to eat when they are relatively soft when you squeeze it. You can't really eat them when they are still rock hard.

I cut the avocado into chunks (cut in half, remove pit, cut slices while it's still in the skin, then scoop out with a spoon), spread the chunks onto a place, and sprinkle with EVOO, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It's so good!
  • psychedelicfrenzy
    psychedelicfrenzy Posts: 11 Member
    Surprised no one mentioned sushi. You could find recipes to make sushi at home (I do this quite often, with brown rice, white rice, and im trying to get down using cauliflower rice) and you could put avocado in that. That's pretty much the only thing Ill have avocado in. It's great.
  • amvis
    amvis Posts: 22 Member
    my favourite is avocado shake.blend together half of a ripe avocado with a dash of vanilla and one cup of almond milk or whole milk and add any kind o sweetner.
  • cindylouk
    cindylouk Posts: 9 Member
    I love avocado salad

1 avocado chopped
    1 cucumber chopped
    1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
    1 yellow pepper chopped
    cilantro chopped
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2 limes
    add the first 7 ingred. into a bowl and then squeeze lime juice all over mixtrure. I put in fridge for a little while and serve cold. Love this especially in the summer
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Love them in salads!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    bump
  • smacphee85
    smacphee85 Posts: 4 Member
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/avocado-chimichurri-bruschetta/

Please try this recipe. It is an Avocado Chimichurri Bruschetta. My hubby, who thought he didn't like avocado requests it all the time. Every time I make it when there are guests coming or I go to a party it disappears before the any of the other food. Just watch your serving sizes. :)
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    My daughter loves avocado, she eats 1/2 each day in her lunch, I just half it, pop out the seed, then cut into little pieces and leave in the skin so it stays green longer. We like on sandwiches, salads, and used as a dip.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I cut them up in salad or smash them with a bit of lemon to put in taco salads/tortillas.
  • annalovesfood
    annalovesfood Posts: 11 Member
    If you prefer sweet, you can try Chocolate Avocado pudding:

http://enlightenedlife.ca/2013/03/31/chocolate-avocado-pudding/

Or, make it in a smoothie with a banana, and some cocoa/cacao powder.

Its also really good as a salad dressing, mashed into chopped up kale with your hands and a bit of lemon and garlic, compliments of the Engine 21 Diet. This is potent stuff but so good and healthy!
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    I love avocados I have a tree in my front lawn so I use them for everything!

I eat them plain sometimes with hot sauce, use them in shakes, salads, tacos, burros, quinoa bowls, soups, pudding, cakes, on my face, my hair, my feet, I think thats it lol.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    If you prefer sweet, you can try Chocolate Avocado pudding:

http://enlightenedlife.ca/2013/03/31/chocolate-avocado-pudding/

Or, make it in a smoothie with a banana, and some cocoa/cacao powder.

Its also really good as a salad dressing, mashed into chopped up kale with your hands and a bit of lemon and garlic, compliments of the Engine 21 Diet. This is potent stuff but so good and healthy!

Now this is some stuff I can get behind.
    The mayo/creamy dressing substitutes are great ideas, but unfortunately I hate both of those things. No mayo, no ranch, no Caesar, ew ew ew !
    I just have mentioned in my OP that I'm one of the pickiest eaters on the planet. When I say picky, I'm not bad about taste usually. I'm referring to texture. Very much a picky TEXTURE eater.

What does raw avocado taste like? And the texture?
  • chanel1twenty
    I love avocados I have a tree in my front lawn so I use them for everything!

I eat them plain sometimes with hot sauce, use them in shakes, salads, tacos, burros, quinoa bowls, soups, pudding, cakes, on my face, my hair, my feet, I think thats it lol.

Haha! I have heard that they're excellent for skin and hair! Good news, if I try them and don't like them then I have a new deep conditioning treatment :p
  • calaz84
    The texture of them raw..... humm I'd say kinda like a mango but not slippery like a mango just the semi hard soft part lol not good at describing!! But I use to be weird on textures as well to me the texture is fine.

Yes on my hair I'll do it every other week I'll add honey and some olive oil my hair is soooo soft after!!

The pudding is awesome Iv done 3 different recipes and all are great and the kids love them!!
  • chanel1twenty
    The texture of them raw..... humm I'd say kinda like a mango but not slippery like a mango just the semi hard soft part lol not good at describing!! But I use to be weird on textures as well to me the texture is fine.

Yes on my hair I'll do it every other week I'll add honey and some olive oil my hair is soooo soft after!!

The pudding is awesome Iv done 3 different recipes and all are great and the kids love them!!

Ooooow love it. I use the product Hair Mayonnaise and love it.
    How long do you leave your avocado/honey/olive oil mixture on your hair?
  • calaz84
    I try and leave it as long as possible on the weekend when I know I don't have to leave, its anywhere from an hour to 3 hours I just put it in a bun and clean the house or watch a movie.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Cold, sliced and on the side...
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Cut in half - serve filled with crabmeat or with mango salsa - a little cottage cheese on the side if you like.
  • Msergoi1
    Msergoi1 Posts: 10
    Best thing ever is to add coupe heaping table spoons of salsa and eat with tortilla chips... just adjust your thinking and pay attention the the creaminess of them. I wasn't a fan and now it is my favorite.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I just cube it and eat it. if you want to add some cubed sweet potato, black beans and corn to it, that's a good idea too