Diet first...then bring in excerise?

Options
Im just getting started with MFP, and Im just wondering should I worry about changing my diet first then start an excersing plan?

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If it is only one or the other...Then yes start getting the amount of food you are eating under control first.

Why not start excercising as well?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If it is only one or the other...Then yes start getting the amount of food you are eating under control first.

Why not start excercising as well?

I had the same exact thought when I read the thread title. If you don't think you can handle both at first, definitely concentrate on cleaning up your diet, getting portions under control etc as diet is 80% of weight loss. Exercise will definitely help you stay within your daily calorie goals though if you can start getting it in (when you log exercise, you earn more calories). Even if you can just start small like going for short walks or doing sit-ups during commercials, parking further away from the store, taking stairs instead of elevator, etc. Every little bit helps!
  • Vex325
    Vex325 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ...Why not start excercising as well?

Even if all you do is park a little farther away from the building you're going to, that's something. You don't have to jump into a super hardcore fitness regimen. Some people can do that, but I am not one of them. I like making small changes here and there. I know I'm making a difference without feeling like I'm turning my whole life upside down.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be a lot to try to change a whole bunch of habits all at once.

I think starting with food is fine. And within that, I'd even suggest that you focus on just one or two things at first, and then add others over time.

I'd recommend starting with focusing on portion portion control, increasing your water intake, and not going over your daily calorie goal first. Then, when that gets easier, start paying more attention to your carb/fat/protein ratios; and then as that gets more comfortable, start paying more attention to sodium and other macronutrients.

And if you're not quite ready for the "E" word, then start with the "A" word instead. A little bit more "Activity" every day (parking a little farther away from the front door of the store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, holding your tummy tight at a red light, doing 3 toe-touches in the morning before you shed your jammies. . . .) will start to add up, and isn't quite as scary as "Exercise."
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be a lot to try to change a whole bunch of habits all at once.

I think starting with food is fine. And within that, I'd even suggest that you focus on just one or two things at first, and then add others over time.

I'd recommend starting with focusing on portion portion control, increasing your water intake, and not going over your daily calorie goal first. Then, when that gets easier, start paying more attention to your carb/fat/protein ratios; and then as that gets more comfortable, start paying more attention to sodium and other macronutrients.

And if you're not quite ready for the "E" word, then start with the "A" word instead. A little bit more "Activity" every day (parking a little farther away from the front door of the store, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, holding your tummy tight at a red light, doing 3 toe-touches in the morning before you shed your jammies. . . .) will start to add up, and isn't quite as scary as "Exercise."

Well said
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    diet is 80% of weight loss

Actually it is 100%. Exercise will have some impact on how much you can eat and allow you to eat a little more and still lose (as compared to not exercising) but the primary reason to exercise is for general health. Weight loss is only one component of fitness. I think it improves attitude, making me feel better about myself, and gives me more incentive to stay on the diet because I feel like my overall condition is improving.
  • 20thenewme13
    20thenewme13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I wouldnt say Im a "big"eater and I'm not a snacker by any means. I hardly ever sit down and eat cakes or cookies or whatever. Sometimes when I eat I think I eat to much. So portion control is something I need to learn. Im a picky eater as well, so chosing the right meals is hard for me. Im a pasta, bread, potatoes kinda girl... I also work full time and dont get off until 7. My hubby is used to a big meal so I usually end up going home and cooking. I try not to eat a lot at that time but I usually end up eating decent. I like sitting down with him and having a good meal.

Im pretty active if Id I say so myself. Im on my feet all day and when Im home, Im always outside doing something. I work in the garden when possible and I also hunt/fish and love being outdoors.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The thing I learned that helped me the most is measuring portions. I use a scale to weigh my meat, and measuring cups/spoons for other things. I measure everything to make sure I'm eating an actual serving size. This has helped so much with training myself to eat better!

edit to fix silly typo
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    do it all now