• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    My first one in YEARS. :ohwell:

Any suggestions? :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Plenty, but first, need some info.

Are you currently running at all?
    If you are running, can you do 10 K right now (I.E. 6.2 miles)?
    Do you have any medical issues (knees, hips, back...etc)?
  • Shannon023
    I've started running a couple weeks ago. 4 miles is the most I've done, but had to walk too.

My knees get extremely sore is I don't wear my knee braces or take a couple Advil before I go. :ohwell:

I've recently lost 47 pounds & turned 40 last month. I thought running the Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day would be a good accomplishment. :smile:

Thanks for any advice! :smile:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    There's a very good 8 week training program for first timers at

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

I do suggest that you take this easy approach to your run since you have knee issues or you will do more damage than good.
  • Shannon023
    There's a very good 8 week training program for first timers at

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

I do suggest that you take this easy approach to your run since you have knee issues or you will do more damage than good.

Thank you! I'll check it out! :smile:
  • banks1850
    Hmm, ok, if you work hard, and watch your knees very closely, you should be able to get up to 6 miles.

Here's the thing, your knees could be a problem, knees take a pounding when running. Don't skimp on really good running shoes (Saucony and Asics both make great brands), they will cost you anywhere from 60 to 150 dollars but they are totally worth it, especially with your knees.

I would say that since you have only been running recently, a may 10K might be a bit rough, but if you take the course slowly you should be ok.
    1st thing is judge what you can run (non-stop) at a good pace, best thing you can do is find a track. Get the track length, If it's an oval, usually they are 400 meters, but that can vary. If it is a 400 meter track, then about 4 times around is a mile (just over 4 times).

You need to get an accurate gage of where you are, So go for as long as you can at a good pace, it doesn't have to be blistering, just something you think you can sustain. Time that, if you can do 3 miles non-stop, in like (arbitrarilly) 24 minutes or so then you know you need to not only increase stamina but most likely increase leg strengh and muscle memory(the longer it takes you to complete, the more fatigue you will have, and the less likely you will complete)

To increase stamina, you want to work to failure, That means higher pace for shorter distance, for leg strength you want to run with weight, for muscle memory, you want to run distance. So break these up into days, 1 day of high speed shorter runs (it should bring you up short of breath and sweating) doing 3 miles with 3 to 5 minute breaks between each mile would do it I think (you might need to start a little lower then that).
    1 day of running with maybe 3 lb weights for the whole distance you can run, run at your normal pace.
    1 day of running lighter then usually and try to finish the whole 6 miles.
    Then you start all over again. :tongue:
    You should be able to increase your stamina by about mile per month with this method (there is, as with any athletic endevor, a point of diminishing returns and physical limits)
    You should also be able to increase speed by about 1 minute per mile per month.
    These results, of course, vary, but I have found them to be relatively consistant.

this is a relatively aggressive method, but since you have a race in about 45 days, you probably need to do it this way.

Good luck.
  • Shannon023
    Thanks banks! I'll give it a shot! :smile:
  • banks1850
    Best of luck sbp. let us know how it's going!

Oh, I wanted to clarify something, I guess some people don't really get "work to failure" . It's a term we used to use in high school, and I just assumed everyone did, but I guess we were just odd. Working to failure in a cardiac sense doesn't mean working to puke or pass out or anything like that. It means work until your muscles are pretty much telling you they can't do any more, or you can't breath rhythmic anymore, I would never suggest pushing yourself past the point of exhaustion, to it is ok if you know where that point is and you are in good health, but I would hope that everyone knows about where there limit is and doesn't try to pass that limit too much. Safely exercising is important.

FYI, I'm not a certified trainer or health professional so take what I offer as just that, advice from an amateur that has nothing more then a good deal of experience.