Losing weight with thyroid issues

Options
Hi, I have lived with hasimoto's disease for 10 years and I used to believe it hindered my weight loss. However, I don't believe that to be true anymore and I will tell you why.

From Jan 7th to April 22nd of this year, I was in a slim down challenge that involved 10 contestants eating all of the same foods that was prepared for us. We all ate the exact same thing for 15 weeks. It was up to us to work out or not.

Ten contestants, all different ages, weights, body types and gender. I was the only contestant with hasimoto's or even any type of thyroid issue.

I lost 18% of my body weight in 15 weeks. Went from 199lbs to 162lbs.

The first three highest contestants lost from 24% to 29% of their weight, two of those were men and the 3rd was a woman who is an avid runner and training for a marathon.

Out of the last seven contestants, we lost from 11% to 21%, three of us (me included) tying the percentage at 18%. Neither of the other 2 who tied me have thyroid issues. We all ate the same, we all worked out about the same I would say. One of these contestants was male in his early 30's, the other 2 females in our 50's.

So, if it were true that hasimoto's made me lose slower, I think I would have been at the bottom of the ten, under 11% and not at 18%. Now I know I can't use that as an excuse anymore....losing weight is hard and sometimes seems slow as molasses even though I am working my butt off at the gym and eating all the right foods. BUT it is coming off, one pound at a time. I feel confident I will lose the last 25 lbs. I have heard that the last 20 are really tough to lose because you actually have to eat less and work out more the less you weigh. I don't know if that is true but I will do what I have to do.

Everyone is different however, and what is true or what works for one sometimes does not apply to another.

Replies

• SamanthaMitch1981
    Options
    What kind of stuff did you eat? Im hypothyroid and find I have to really work to lose :(
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did it too. I tried to lose weight for years after I was diagnosed with hashimotos disease. I think it's a matter of finding what works for you. Also a matter of timing. Thyroid levels fluctuate between blood work. Also, learning what to eat and when helped me a lot. Congratulations! It feels great to have energy again doesn't it!
  • arrivera90
    arrivera90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I loved reading your story. I am 22 now and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 13. I was never really fat, maybe chubby, until all of the sudden, at 18, my levels went whack and It seemed like I gained 50 pounds over night. The levels straightened out and I got myself down 199 with Weight Watchers. Then they got whack again and I went up to 239. I switched my medicine to try Armour which is a natural thyroid, mostly from pig thyroid, since it works similar to ours, and that helped me feel better and start getting the energy I needed. About a month ago, I finally realized that I can't wait any longer to see what my medicine is doing and I need to take control of myself. I started eating much better and once I got into that routine, I started working out. I came up with my own little "30 Day" challenge and I am doing the Couch to 5K training. I am loving it and have lost 8 pounds. I am going to weigh myself again once the challenge is over and see what I have accomplished. I feel better getting my workouts in. I almost look forward to it! Even days when I don't want to do it, I push myself and feel wonderful afterwords!

I agree with you on not letting the thyroid be at fault anymore, even though my weight loss is slow, it's coming off and why should I complain?!! Thanks again for your post! What an inspiration!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always blamed my thyroid too. After I'd been working out like a fiend for awhile, and had my TSH under control, I had my metabolism tested and it turns out my metabolism is actually a little higher than normal. I realized that I was seriously underestimated what I was eating. those occasional bites here and there will easily add up. (Of course, this goes out the window when my thyroid levels are off and I notice the weight gain). I would definitely recommend it if it's available to you.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i never blamed my underactive thyroid for anything. i took my medication, ate right and exercised.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i had hyperthyroidism that caused me to gain weight. It's not typical I know, but that is what happened to me. My endocrinologist had some long explanation which I will spare you. However once my thyroid slowed down and I was able to get back to exercising, I was able to lose some weight. I think it just depends on the thyroid problem and how severe it is. Mine had me in permanent zombie mode. I was so exhausted constantly. I am so relieved to be done with that problem. My heart goes out to anyone who has to live with an unruly thyroid.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I always blamed my thyroid too. After I'd been working out like a fiend for awhile, and had my TSH under control, I had my metabolism tested and it turns out my metabolism is actually a little higher than normal. I realized that I was seriously underestimated what I was eating. those occasional bites here and there will easily add up. (Of course, this goes out the window when my thyroid levels are off and I notice the weight gain). I would definitely recommend it if it's available to you.

I just wanted to add that I do believe that thyroid disease does make it difficult to lose weight, but they key is to make sure it's managed appropriately and also be realistic - the defeatist attitude of "well my thyroid makes it hard for me to lose weight" really zapped my motivation.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    i never blamed my underactive thyroid for anything. i took my medication, ate right and exercised.

^^ This for me too.

I've lost 39lb in just over 18 weeks. All I did was change my eating habits, cut out chocolate, biscuits, cake, sugar in my tea. I started the Couch25K programme in Jan, graduated in March and continue to run a minimum of 3 x pw. I've lost inches off my hips, waist, bust, thighs everywhere really. I weighed myself this morning and I'm sitting at 142lb which I'm very happy with. I don't expect to get to the weight I was at in my youth, just unrealistic.

The only issue I have is the hair loss from my head but I think it's being replaced, I don't have bald patches or anything but it does feel thinner.
  • wohlgangerc
    wohlgangerc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm borderline hypothyroid, so my body is permanently in "starvation mode," but I lose weight. Exercise five days a week, trying to burn about 400-500 cals. If your muscles are aching like crazy the next day, I'd recommend drinking a protein shake for muscle recovery immediately after the workout. Usually about 1/2 serving is enough. For food, try to find low calorie substitutes and pay careful attention to the calories. Big helpers for me: plenty of salad and soups, SaraLee 45 calorie/slice bread, velveeta sliced cheese (40 calories), PB2 peanut butter (45 calories), and sugarfree jellies. If things taste bland to you, try to find a spice you can add to improve them. I add jalapenos to almost any meal.
  • ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This thread was really inspiring, thanks everyone! I gained thirty pounds in a month and a half when I was put on medicine to go from hyperthroid to regular levels.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • wbl512
    wbl512 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think thyroid issues are different for each person. I have lost 80 pounds and deal with thyroid issues; regulation took over 5 years. Unfortunately, I gain 50 back and my meds are off again. thyroid issues are so finicky.