Wine-Lovers, I need recommendations!

Options
rachel4304
rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
My main experience with wine is boxed wine (gross) and Yellowtail (equally gross). So, any recommendations on a decently priced wine to try? What do you drink?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    For a cheap, decent cab you can always go with Parker Estate for about $10 a bottle.
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just depends on if you prefer sweet or dry....
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap and love sweet wines so Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is one of my favorites. :smile:
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like whites more than reds, and I tend to like them a little sweeter. I like Fetzer's Gewurztraminer. Usually around 8 bucks. Barefoot has a great Muscato. I love Principato Rosato Blush. If you can find it outside of Olive Garden. They mark it up like 200%. If you are in California I love Buena Vista's wines in Sonoma. They have a Dijon Clone Chardonnay that is soooo good, but it will set you back 30-40 a bottle, and you have to get them quick. They have excellent reds as well. I love their Syrah. They have a wine club that is pretty cool.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For a treat, Bosc, it's a moscato di'asti....I just bought a case....It is just lovely. If you want something cheap & sweet, honestly buy the kosher wines....morgan david or manaschevitz.....blackberry....it is so so good! and you can always have it w/seltzer or diet 7 up and wow....it's so good!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My husband makes wine and it's very good. We like to go to wineries to we can taste before we buy. Most wineries have very reasonable prices. Don't be intimadated! We didn't know anything about wine, until we asked about a billion questions!
  • san0322
    san0322 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you're in for a sweet white wine, I like Riesling as well, but am not a fan of Chateau Ste. Michelle like Crista posted. I prefer Kendall Jackson Vinter's Reserve Riesling. Yum! Kendall Jackson also has a pretty good Chardonnay.

If you want a sweet red, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Barefoot Sweet Red. Delish!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I like whites more than reds, and I tend to like them a little sweeter. I like Fetzer's Gewurztraminer. Usually around 8 bucks. Barefoot has a great Muscato. I love Principato Rosato Blush. If you can find it outside of Olive Garden. They mark it up like 200%. If you are in California I love Buena Vista's wines in Sonoma. They have a Dijon Clone Chardonnay that is soooo good, but it will set you back 30-40 a bottle, and you have to get them quick. They have excellent reds as well. I love their Syrah. They have a wine club that is pretty cool.
    You sound like my wine twin! :heart: :laugh:
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    Reds give me headaches any more, so they're kinda off my list these days, but the reds I did like were cabernet sauvignons, chiantis, and pinot noirs. Chateau St. Jean winery does cabernet sauvs very well. Two-Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) makes a great merlot. For whites I like any Italian pinot grigio (with Gabbiano's being both inexepensive and pretty easy to find just about anywhere; I also like Santa Margherita's and Ecco Domani's), sauvignon blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand (Kim Crawford's sauvignon blanc is my current favorite), and good old reliable white zinfandels (like Beringer's version, even tho you'll get looks from wine snobs if you drink it lol). I don't care for chardonnay anymore, but used to love it: CK Mondavi's is good, so is Toasted Head's, and if you like oak-y chards, Chateau St. Jean does single vineyard chards that are interesting in that the flavors vary from vineyard to vineyard in the same year.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've never met a malbec I didn't like. Even the cheap ones are good. My current cheap favorite is Layer Cake.

I also like the Layer Cake chard. I swear I can taste frosting in it.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    People like different wines you need to figure out what you like. Maybe take a trip to some wineries or wine fests taste different wines and figure out what you like. Many new wine consumers lean toward sweeter wines.

I am going to make some from our Brighton grapes a friend made some a couple years ago for me it was golden in color and sweet.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Reds give me headaches any more, so they're kinda off my list these days, but the reds I did like were cabernet sauvignons, chiantis, and pinot noirs. Chateau St. Jean winery does cabernet sauvs very well. Two-Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) makes a great merlot. For whites I like any Italian pinot grigio (with Gabbiano's being both inexepensive and pretty easy to find just about anywhere; I also like Santa Margherita's and Ecco Domani's), sauvignon blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand (Kim Crawford's sauvignon blanc is my current favorite), and good old reliable white zinfandels (like Beringer's version, even tho you'll get looks from wine snobs if you drink it lol). I don't care for chardonnay anymore, but used to love it: CK Mondavi's is good, so is Toasted Head's, and if you like oak-y chards, Chateau St. Jean does single vineyard chards that are interesting in that the flavors vary from vineyard to vineyard in the same year.

Have you ever checked if you are allergic to sulfates. This happened to my mother. All wines have sulfates but many reds have additional sulfates added during fermentation if you would like to go back to red wine try organic reds which have fewer. You can look on the back of the bottle and it will say if it has added sulfates or not.

Just an idea

Wine Addict in AL
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think you need to find out what you like. Every state in the US has wineries and many local grocery stores will do wine tasting. Try to find one in your area to see what you like.

Decent ( generic) wine labels to try ( by this i mean they have many vararites, sell across the U.S and are pretty decent in my opinion)

Kendall Jackson
    Concannon
    Apothic
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Belle Terra Zinfandel.

For $12/bottle it's not bad.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My recent favorite that's only 12 - 20$(US) depending on where I buy it, is Il Coure (The Heart). The merlot is good but I LOVE the Cabernet Sauvignon.

Other's I enjoy:

Red Diamond Merlot
    Fat Lady Cabernet
    And lost of other reds out there... I'm not too snobby with my wine.

But my real suggestion, buy a couple bottles and just taste them. Find one you like because there's nothing more subjective than wine taste preference. Also, BL_Coleman had a great suggestion of going to wine tastings (a lot of liquor stores will do those so just ask around). Or if you live in wine country, go do a tour. Those are lots of fun! Just know that if by the end of the tour, you're going to be liking all of the wines (if you're not taking tiny sips). :tongue:
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Kendall Jackson GRAND RESERVE Chardonnay .... $16ish/bottle but worth it :) SOOO much better than their Vintner's reserve....

Toasted Head Chardonnay isn't bad, either... or La Crema (both around $12ish per bottle)
  • mmoonstars
    mmoonstars Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    14 hands hot to trot is a good basic red blend
    so is the apothic red, but it's a bit drier
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Line 39 is pretty good. its a sauvignon blanc normally runs around 14 dollars a bottle, but is on sale pretty reg.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like whatever wine is being poured!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Meridian Chardonnay is very good... Running with Scissors Merlot is also great. Both in the $15 range.