Upset with Walmart!

Options
Melanie1967
Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
After loosing 35lbs and 26 inches, my clothes are really loose. I don't want to spend a bunch of $$ to buy new, until I get down where I want to be. I deceided to go to Walmart and get 1 outfit to wear when going somewhere nice. I am down from a 24 pants, tight, to a comfortable 20. Shirt size, well, I went in with a very loose 3x shirt, and came out with a 4x. WHAT? I have lost 4 inches off of my chest and 5 off of my waist, and I had to buy a BIGGER shirt? Goes to show you must try your clothes on before buying. Guess I just needed to vent because I REALLY thought I would come out with a 2x, not a 4x. Kinda ruined the day!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    walmart (and target) are awful for sizing. don't let it get you down, rely on your scale and measuring tape to tell you the truth! 26 inches lost is an amazing accomplishment, stay focused on that. and.... you're not alone...this post showed up today as well

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/98364-this-is-dumb-ugh
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Personally, Target seems to run big for me (aside from the jeans) ...but Walmart is TERRIBLE....runs way small!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Walmart is a horrible place anyways. Cheap clothing always seems to run small.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Think about this...I have stretched out a lot of shirts... so I figure that's the problem. You probably stretched it to a bigger size and now you're finally the size the shirt used to be. It sucks to think about but it's a possibility.
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    sweetie you're beautiful
    look at what You have Accomplished....
    don't look at those stupid sizes
    NO matter which store you go to ...
    it's always different and a pain
    don't let it get you though
    i' feel ya
    i know how it feels though
    YOU can do this!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Think about this...I have stretched out a lot of shirts... so I figure that's the problem. You probably stretched it to a bigger size and now you're finally the size the shirt used to be. It sucks to think about but it's a possibility.
    That's a definite possibility. Could be too that Walmart sizes are more accurate whereas other stores have started to change their sizes such that what once used to be a 12 is now a 10 to make people "feel" better...
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Honey.. Walmart sizes run small! So I'm thinkin you're really like in a size 18 pants, if a 20 fits you comfortably! Those shirts are aweful. Don't let that be an issue. You are doing fabulous. So dedicated and motivated. You motivate me each day! Chin up! :)
  • DeeCee47
    DeeCee47 Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't go by what the size says on the label....go by how you look and feel.

At least you didn't spend a bunch of $$ now...but you can look forward to having something nice later (and maybe a size tag to match!)

Great job! Keep it up!
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I HATE Wal Mart sizing!!!! However...if you have an Avenue around you, go there! There sizes are ...flattering. I usually feel pretty good when I leave there. Pants seem to be right on the dot, if not a little big there. Always an ego boost after going to Wal Mart (which is in the same plaza for me) and getting a size or 2 smaller at Avenue...
  • andrewajm
    andrewajm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey when you walked outta walmart you should have been super excited your doing so well...i always say its the little evil voice in your head that wants to get ya down after big accomplishments so you dont reach all your goals...do me a favor the next time you get that bad feeling after doing so awsome tell that little voice in your head to shut up and put a big smile on your face...way to go girl..i know im a dude and im not really a shopper for clothes but for real its all about building yourself back up mentally as well..i just started and i feel bad about myself but i always tell myself its just temporary til i can get the weight off..congrats on your awsome weight loss so far..:smile:
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down .......WALMART SUCKS with their sizing!!! Like Crysta suggested go to Avenue , their sizes are true and much better clothing than walmart.

At my heaviest I was in a 6X and lost 65 lbs. and was still in a 6X at walmart and that is when I said forget this I am going somewhere else LOL .....went to Avenue and I was in a 3X :) It all depends on how cheap the clothing is. You have done a great job with your weight loss so don't let it get you down :)
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    DUMB DUMB WALL MART Obviously, they marked the sizes wrong.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Hey, Mel, don't get down, 26" inches lost is AMAZING! Look at all the weight I've lost & I've only taken off 16 inches. You're doing great! Clothes do not define you, YOU define YOU. Clothes are just the air freshener of your new ferrari ;)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    The way that walmart mass cuts their clothing also might be a factor. From the top of the stack to the bottom, there can be up to 3/4 of a size difference (yeah for cheap manufacturing).

Don't get down on yourself. Next time you want a new outfit, spend a bit more and go to Lane Bryant or some place where you can get an outfit with a size you can trust.
  • CardioRS
    CardioRS Posts: 88
    Options
    Because they offer "cheap" items, the sizing varies horribly. My young ballerina daughter is 19, 5'3" tall and 120 pounds (if you soak her in water) - and she wears a LARGE to X-LARGE from Wallmart. It is CRAZY how their clothes sizes vary. It's not you - it's them. You are doing a wonderful thing with your body! Be proud you look so great!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    there's a really good consignment shop in my area that has been a true answer to prayer! i took in all my size 14-20's (i'd been saving up a huge pile of clothes that didn't fit anymore but were still technically "new") and came out with several 10-12's that fit much better and were barely used if at all! most still had the original retail store tags on them. in fact, i wound up not paying a dime. it was basically an even trade, and when these start to feel too loose, i'll take them back and start over!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I know how the sizing thing can get you down.. but don't worry about it. It is what it is.. just a size! All places are different so you really can't measure success with size labels. I can wear anything from 17's to 11's that fit me the same. It's so crazy...

Just focus on your accomplishments... what you've done is amazing! Your measurements won't lie and it sounds like you're well on your way! Wearing a smaller or a larger size won't take anything from what you've done so far - just remember that when sizes decide to be a pain. :smile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Another good reason to boycott Walmart ... they're evil!
  • bubbie
    bubbie Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't let that get to you. Inexpensive clothes always tend to not run true to size. I always wear 1-2 sizes larger whenever I buy anything from Wally World! Congrats on the loss too. When you lose all the weight you want, buy some new things from say, Dillards or Macy's. Name brand stuff is a better indicator of your true size. I usually fit into a size 10 when I buy Jones New York or Ralph Lauren. Don't let a size label make your day, let your success speak for itself !!!!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I hate going in to buy clothes anyways, my mom buys my stuff .. or I would have nothing to wear seriously! I have had the same wardrobe probably the last 3 years. Don't let it discourage you, clothes suck, sizes suck .. Walmart sucks and is cheap!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!