What to do with egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I give the yolks to my dog. She loves them and they help her coat stay healthy.

same here, my dog loves them.
    Now, the puppies have high cholesterol. :cry:
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Unless you have cholesterol problems, then I'd say eat them.
  • meadow_sage
    Options
    I can't eat more than one egg yolk per day because that is way too much cholesterol. So, I get liquid egg whites because I also can't bring myself to throw them away.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'd cry if I couldn't eat my yolks... they are the best part (taste wise anyway)!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Eat them.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I buy the pasteurized liquid egg whites that come in a milk-like carton.
  • meadow_sage
    Options
    I put them in my hair. Not joking. I bust the yolk, spread on my dry hair, wait about twenty minutes then jump in the shower and wash like normal. AMAZING!

That is actually a GREAT idea.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    eat 'em!
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat them most of the time but when I do need more whites than yolks I just scramble them up and give them to my baby (10 months old) she loves them!
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    if I don't eat them, I usually give them to my dogs! makes their coats nice and shiny :glasses:
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    eat em...yum
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Yolks are where the healthy bits are.
    This.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating the yolks as long as you're not eating lots of eggs like every single day. I eat eggs once in a while, so when I do I eat the whole thing! They're high in cholesterol, otherwise they're good for you.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eat them! They're not bad for you and they're loaded with nutrients. If you're worried about the cholesterol, studies have sholw that dietary intake of cholesterol has little effect on total cholesterol levels. I've never understood the egg white craze.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds wasteful, but I just throw them away. The yolk is where most of the calories and chlorestrol are. That's why when I do omlettes, I try to do one egg and 2 whites. I have high chlorestrol. I will eat yolks if I make egg salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, or easy over eggs (I love runny yolks). I can't seem to swallow hardboiled yolks plain though.
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy. =) Egg yolks have an unfounded bad reputation. They're rather nutritious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We buy egg whites in a carton to supplement the whole eggs we use. Rather than separating an actual egg. So I guess you could say we toss them out if you want but I hope that the company uses them in animal feed or something.

This. I eat the whole eggs personally! The yolk has most of the nutrients anyway...
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    dogs get some of them.....as soon as they hear the eggs being cracked into a bowl they are sitting looking hopeful at me lol!:wink:
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Freeze them for when I need egg yolks. If you are going to use them in a sweet dish then add a pinch of sugar to them before freezing and if a savory then add a pinch of salt. It stops them thickening up. Just don't get them muddled unless you like salty custard :happy:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It's an egg, eat it ...