Struggling with Over Head Press

Options
jc1961AA
jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
I have been doing the SL 5x5 for a while, and I am really struggling with the OHP sets, i have reached a plateau at 35kg (37.5kg is my maximum) but I don't seem to progress and actually really struggling at that weight. Any suggestions to carry on improving?

Thanks
JC

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    what accessory work do you do?
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OHP is my weakest by far. I got stuck at 57.5 lbs (26kgs) for the longest time. I actually dropped back down to 50lbs and then increased the number of reps until I could do 10-12 easily before I increased the weight again. I'm currently back up to 62.5, but it took me 2 months to get there.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    On BP day => Dumbell flies, abs, triceps work, etc
    On OHP day => anti gravity press, standing up deltoid flies, Standing Dumbbell Upright Row, biceps, pull-ups
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The OHP is the weaker lift for most people. A couple things to key-in on...

1. Form form form... How is your form? Your hands should really only be just outside of shoulder width. If they're too far inside or outside you're probably hurting the lift. Also, people often forget to help support the weight by using their lats. Checkout videos on YouTube. If you can find some by Rippletoe, Wendler, Dave Tate, or Louie Simmons that would be best.

2. Accessory work: After you do your Barbell OHP's add in 2 sets of DB OHP. Grab a DB that you can press for at least 15 reps and just push for max reps. Take about 2 to 4 min rest in-between sets. The 2nd set you may not hit 15 reps, that's fine.
    - Triceps: Triceps are very important in all pressing work. Dips are great for supporting pressing exercises, and pressdowns for high-reps actually help a lot. Lat raises aren't bad either as a support and I feel that they help with overall shoulder health. I personally don't like upright rows because it puts your shoulder in an impinged position and is not good for shoulder health. Shoulder shrugs may help isolate your traps and help strengthen them for their involvement.

That's kind of why I don't like SL5x5, it doesn't have any supporting work for the main lifts and some people do need it. If I were to do SL5x5 or recommend it for somebody I would add this accessory work:

Workout A (squat, bench, row): Back extensions (3 x 20), Dips (4 x 15), Chin-ups (3 to 4 sets, max reps)
    Workout B (squat, OHP, DL): DB OHP (2 x 15+), Pull-Ups
    Workout A - Day 3 (squat, bench, row): Romanian DL's, DB Bench (2 x 15+), <insert work you feel you need here>
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    On BP day => Dumbell flies, abs, triceps work, etc
    On OHP day => anti gravity press, standing up deltoid flies, Standing Dumbbell Upright Row, biceps, pull-ups

IMO, try replacing flies with heavy flat dumbbell bench and do 5x10. My shoulder strength and size went up a lot after adding this to my routine. Also, try to add dumbbell shoulder presses after doing OHP especially if you notice a muscle imbalance. For tricep work, closegrip bench and weighted dips have the best carry over.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    Thanks guys, some really good tips you are giving me. I will start introducing them to my routine.
    JC
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using fractional plates? Try increasing the weight by as little as a pound or even a half pound.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would concur with the fractional weights. However, they can be expensive. An alternative is to buy a pair of adjustable ankle weights and adjust them to the weight you want. Much less expensive.
    Mike
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using fractional plates? Try increasing the weight by as little as a pound or even a half pound.

If you cna find a decent pair that you can carry to the gym and that your gym will allow in that's not a bad option. However, there really is a basic component of SL5x5 that is missing and that is a little bit of accessory work. It doesn't have to be a lot but just a little to help support the main lifts. Some people definitely can get away without doing it, but not everybody can.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I bought fractional plates. 2.5's from Walmart ($10 for the pair inc shipping) and 0.5lb washers from a Fastenal store (couple bucks each). That lets me go up 5lb each time on my stronger lifts and only 1lb each time on my weaker lifts.
  • jc1961AA
    Options
    My gym luckily has some 1.25kg plates and I have been using them.
    JC
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Drop 10% of the weight and start at the new weight.
    125x10%=12.50
    125-12.5=112.50
    start at 110 or 115 and work back up