I'm So Friggin CONFUSED now!!

Options
chineyLuv
chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
So, I recently read that while doing Insanity, we’re supposed to consume some crazy amount of Protein like 200g or something.

Then I read “you are supposed to eat 1g of protein per your ideal body weight”, so if I want to weigh 160lbs, I should be consuming 160g of Protein?!
How is this possible while trying to keep under my daily calorie target?

All along, I’ve been going by the goals set by MFP “Recommended” amounts, which are:

1200 calories (plus any ‘earned’ exercise calories)
165 carbs
40 fat
45 Protein
2500 sodium
24 sugar

....is this NOT right?! Have I been doing this wrong all along?! *scratches head*

Replies

• Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't enough for most people. I would look at your BMR and TDEE. I bet you anything that you are supposed to be eating more than that. I bet it will be easier to meet that protein goal if you are eating enough as well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're doing insanity you should probably be eating more than 1200 cals, though I guess if you net that it's not so bad.

Change your macros to 40/30/30 carbs fat protein, MFP sets protein too low.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I've got no idea, but one point is that grams go with kilograms as units of measurement so if your goal weight is 160 pounds, you'll be looking at about 80kg so a lot fewer grams of protein (i.e. 80 grams)...

Personally, I try and keep my protein up 'cos it's filling but I don't bother too much with macros.

Cheers,
    EJ
  • chineyLuv
    Options
    1200 isn't enough for most people. I would look at your BMR and TDEE. I bet you anything that you are supposed to be eating more than that. I bet it will be easier to meet that protein goal if you are eating enough as well.

1200 is my net calories, so if I earn any extra exercise calories, I tend to eat most of them back.
  • chineyLuv
    Options
    If you're doing insanity you should probably be eating more than 1200 cals, though I guess if you net that it's not so bad.

(Sorry, I'm a little slow lol) So, change my protein to 30g? I'm currently at 45g...or are we talking about %?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You should certainly be eating more than 1200 for a start, that is the bare minimum, and you do not need to be set to lose 2 Ibs a week unless you have a vast amount to lose. You are better off setting yourself to lose 1/2-1Ib per week. Alternatively, check out this thread and do your calorie goal by this method.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=in+place+of+a+road+map&page=1#posts-14887744

Also, for protein, I would just shoot to make sure you are getting at least 80-100g a day.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is 1g of protein per lb of LEAN BODY MASS.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

She means 30% protein.
    And I suggest researching your TDEE and BMR by going to a site like scoobys workshop and going from there as 1200 is totally unnecessary as an intake. Many on here lose weight on 1400 and up, plus their exercise calories.

(Sorry, I'm a little slow lol) So, change my protein to 30g? I'm currently at 45g...or are we talking about %?

She means 30% protein.
    And I suggest researching your TDEE and BMR by going to a site like scoobys workshop and going from there as 1200 is totally unnecessary as an intake. Many on here lose weight on 1400 and up, plus their exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

%
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

40/30/30 is percentages. When you change it in MFP it will do the calculation of grams for you based on your weight. Good luck on Insanity!
  • tygerbears
    tygerbears Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same goals as you but I've thought from the beginning that MFP is low on protein, so I don't worry (and, in fact, am glad) when I go over 40 on that. (I know lots of folks will freak at how low that is)

I'm always good on the sodium because I'm not eating any processed food (ok, just a little Ranch dressing).

And apparently MFP is counting Total Sugar, rather than Added Sugar because a banana and a cup of homemade vegetable soup will get you up to 24g right off the bat.
    I'm not eating anything with added sugar (ok, I Did have a little honey a day or so ago)(I don't know if honey is considered Added Sugar or not, but it's verrrry sweet) So, if I go a little over on the sugar, I don't panic because it's none is Added sugar.

Almost Everything has guidelines. Try to find what works best for you without coloring Too far outside the lines.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

% If you go to the "goals" link you can choose "custom" and set your macro target
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You should certainly be eating more than 1200 for a start, that is the bare minimum, and you do not need to be set to lose 2 Ibs a week unless you have a vast amount to lose. You are better off setting yourself to lose 1/2-1Ib per week. Alternatively, check out this thread and do your calorie goal by this method.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=in+place+of+a+road+map&page=1#posts-14887744

Also, for protein, I would just shoot to make sure you are getting at least 80-100g a day.

here come the TDEE 20 percenters...everyone duck!

OP if 1200 is working for you then keep rolling with it. IF you stop losing or plateau then you might need to increase. Plenty of people do quite well on 1200 as long as they are eating back exercise calories.

You should get as much protein as possible to preserve lean muscle mass...40/30/30 sounds like a good split for your macros..and yes, that is percentages. You need to go in to MFP custom settings and change them...
  • chineyLuv
    Options
    this may be a dumb question, but;

am I right to assume that these percentages should be based on what my goal weight is?

Also, I'm on recovery week right now (starting month 2 on Monday), do these calories still apply?

I've got like 40+ lbs to lose (technically)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

am I right to assume that these percentages should be based on what my goal weight is?

I don't even know what that means?

The % is your macros.... 40% of our calories should ce from carbs etc etc
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options

here come the TDEE 20 percenters...everyone duck!

OP if 1200 is working for you then keep rolling with it. IF you stop losing or plateau then you might need to increase. Plenty of people do quite well on 1200 as long as they are eating back exercise calories.

You should get as much protein as possible to preserve lean muscle mass...40/30/30 sounds like a good split for your macros..and yes, that is percentages. You need to go in to MFP custom settings and change them...

LOL! It's not enough for anyone says her BMR!

But if you want to get technical, yes it can work for you..for a while...just like I lost 25 lbs on it but you WILL gain it back ( and I did) because it isn't easy to keep doing as a lifestyle. :) Just trying to help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have 50lbs to lose and my goal is 1390 right now (net). heck even if I change it to 40lbs, it's still 1390... How are you at 1200? And definitely eat your calories back. You should probably eat close to 2000 a day with insanity.

And yes, don't worry if you go over on protein. Or you can change your macros to decrease carbs and increase protein. I think 1g per lean lb is a good start, so probably 110g a day or something.
  • chineyLuv
    Options

I don't even know what that means?

The % is your macros.... 40% of our calories should ce from carbs etc etc

Ok, I was under the impression that the % is based on your goal weight (ie.) My goal weight is 160lbs (40% of that is 64g), but now, if i'm wanting to consume 1400 calories (example) the percentage should be 560??

I'm sorry, I'm probably sounding really dumb right now, I'm trying to learn all this stuff...
  • chineyLuv
    Options
    I have 50lbs to lose and my goal is 1390 right now (net). heck even if I change it to 40lbs, it's still 1390... How are you at 1200? And definitely eat your calories back. You should probably eat close to 2000 a day with insanity.

And yes, don't worry if you go over on protein. Or you can change your macros to decrease carbs and increase protein. I think 1g per lean lb is a good start, so probably 110g a day or something.

Apparently MFP thinks that I should only be consuming 1200 calories daily (plus any exercise calories) lol

And the problem is not that I'm going over the protein, is that I'm staying just around the target. I'm more-so going over the sugars (Bananas and strawberries)