Anyone doing a VLCD (very low calorie diet)?

Options

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Man it's going to be a BUMMER when you guys gain all the weight back. And you will. You will. :frown:
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    I am on week 11 and down 37.5 lbs so far. I find doing the VLCD to be really easy! My doctor that I go to has alot of different food choices to select from. So I try to change it up every week.

This would be a typical day:
    Breakfast: Protein Shake (Premier Protein Ready to Drink)
    Snack: Protein Bar (Usually by Advanced Health Systems or Health Wise)
    Lunch: Protein Shake (Mix 1 pack vanilla and 1 chocolate of Advanced Health Systems Pudding & Shake Mix)
    Snack: Another Protein Bar or sometimes the Chocolate Chip Cookies by Health Wise
    Dinner: 1 cup cottage cheese, non-fat

It is usually around 800 calories, 95 grams protein, 55-60 carbs.

What do you eat? Are you taking Phentermine?

i'm not attacking...rather just genuinely curious....

are you morbidly obese? Like 100+ pounds to lose or so?

what kind of doctor are you seeing for this? Just a gp?

I'm curious about the VLCD...I have put some on them in instances of extreme urgency...as in "you're 400+ pounds with diabetes and you need to lose weight NOW". But in those instances the diets were VERY VERY micronutrient dense. I mean insanely. Which is the route most doctors go. I'm talking 2+ apples, 4+ cups of spinach or kale, peppers, lemons, fish, just tons and tons of micro-nutrient rich food and lean meat.

I'm having trouble understanding how a doctor would put you on a plan with only processed shakes and bars?

again...NOT attacking you...genuinely curious.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Wait... a doctor put you on this diet?!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the profile picture you don't look like someone who needs to be on a VLCD for emergency weightloss - or is that your "after" pic?

You have said a doctor put you on this diet - a "real" doctor or someone at one of those "lose weight quick "clinics"?

I could literally not exist on such low calories - there would be holes in the carpet where I'd snatched a quick bite. And for those few precious calories to be highly processed mixes rather than real food strikes me as very dangerous - how can you control what is going into your body when you couldn't identify half the ingredients on a shelf or replicate it in your own kitchen? I am also concerend about the lack of fresh fruit and veg - why not fruit instead of the protein bar/chocolate chip cookie? and have some real chocolate as a treat?

If this is your GP, ask for a second opinion.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Never mind got two posts conflated.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

It is usually around 800 calories, 95 grams protein, 55-60 carbs.

What do you eat? Are you taking Phentermine?

I have been on VLCDs, I have had eating disorders (ana and mia)...I have now taken control of my life, my future and my health by eating and being active. I have lost half a stone in the last 14 days by eating on average 2350 calories and by burning on average 2850 calories daily (I lift heavy, I also cycle, run and swim lots)...I am not afraid of food, calories or challenging my body. Being on such low calories if it is not for some medically very sound reason (most people can lose weight normally eating proper food and good quantities of it whilst being active as well) is a very bad idea. Short term? How short is short term...and why do folks always look for the quick fix? I want my body fat percentage to be lower for life, not just for a short while. I want to be able to eat, drink, be merry and do some amazing things with my properly fuelled body.

End of rant.

Lady, please rethink your strategy. If you don't learn to deal with food and your mental issues around it, you will always have the problem, small calories are not going to fix that. In fact, it can and does slow your metabolism down. You will lose the fat, but you will also lose lean mass, which is important to aesthetics and overall health and well being. Been there and done that and learnt very hard lessons....
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    nevermind reading fail.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think what has everybody confused is your profile pic. If that is at all close to current, you just don't seem to be at a weight that would justify the use of one of these VLCD plans. I see from a previous post that you are being supervised through a Bariatric surgeon and that would make more sense as I've known a couple of people who were put on one of those plans prior to their surgery.

Maybe you'd get better advice at one of the places designed to support those along that path.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    VLCD's have their place, but I don't see them being doctor approved unless the patient is morbidly obese. They aren't meant for people who have a moderate amount of weight to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You stopped eating food and replaced it with fake chemical food-like substances....................yea, nothing wrong here at all, nothing at all!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i did a VLCD 5 years ago lost close to 90 lbs in 9 months and then i ate again and gained it double back within a year so i suggest everyone doing it dont do it to long, be very very very careful once you start eating properly again since you never learn about proper diet and nutrition and portion control
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    VLCDs are not welcome on this site. The rules prohibit against promoting them.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Man it's going to be a BUMMER when you guys gain all the weight back. And you will. You will. :frown:

QFT
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

QFT

Yup.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

QFT

I always wonder why you never see success stories on the forums that did this VLCD, must be a reason...can't pin point it though...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    That just sounds . . . . . horrible. I think I would feel like I was starving, and I know I would spend most of my time being "hangry". How do you have the energy to work out?

Best of luck to you.

I second this. My concern would be the transition back to real food. IMHO I would never do this, because it seems highly unhealthy. And that I would pack the weight right back on. Might I ask why you chose this, instead of a more sustainable life change, such as eating less & exercising more?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    What happens when you get to your goal weight?
    Are you going to keep eating like this for the rest of your life?

SMH
  • dltaylorii
    dltaylorii Posts: 132
    Options
    I only eat about 30 calories a day. But then again, I don't count meat, fruits or veggies.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't get WHY anyone would want to do a VLCD.

-You can eat more and lose weight

-You can eat more and lose weight without damaging your metabolism

-You can eat more and lose weight without having to buy supplements and shots to mask your hunger.

:explode: :explode:
This discussion has been closed.