Tired of hearing "Hey Big-Guy!"

Options
BL_Mark
BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
I know people don't mean to offend when they say that, but I hear that about once a month from complete strangers... don't they realize that that's not ok to say?! So yeah.. tired of hearing "Hey Big Guy"... if I was totally ripped, I wouldn't mind. But instead, I'm 32, 309lbs and no where NEAR being close to ripped... one day.

So yeah, I'm 32, married with two kiddos who are 2 & 4. I've always struggled with my weight except for a short period of time in my early 20's when I was biking, walking, running and working in a factory. Then shortly after that, started my career behind a desk and found the love of beer. That's where it went south. I continued eating and drinking like I did when I was 22 and now, 10 years later, I'm FINALLY making the right change for myself and for my family.

I'm STILL behind a desk 40-50 hours per week, but I'm eating better and feeling the best I've felt in the last 8 years, easily! Below is a side-by-side of a pic from February of this year and just this morning. Since February 2nd, I've lost 41lbs but need to lose another 110. So far, honestly, I've put in very little effort as far as exercise and working out goes. I work out about 3 times per week for 30 minutes and the rest of my week watch what I eat and count my calories and salt intake. Thanks for reading and good luck to you on your journey!!
5b59c5dc-791f-4606-9fa0-00a02bf9b461_zps9d236414.jpg

Replies

• AmandaJCole13
    Options
    Great job on the progress made this far!

I've been told that "I'm cute for a big girl."
    Its like, ummmm thanks?! Lol.
  • donnajohnsoncummings
    Options
    Terrific progress so far! Congrats!
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    You're doing great! Congrats
  • lilteddy78
    lilteddy78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job so far!! Congrats on your loss so far.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody... this is a great site for that extra boost of confidence. I have a great support system between my wife and the rest of my extended family. My wife has lost 30 pounds since MARCH doing the Curves Complete Program. She's been killing it and it's nice to have a partner in this journey together.

thanks again!!

Mark
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Great job so far Mark. You're now at roughly my starting point weight. Last August I weighed 314 pounds. With hard work and determination you can take it to the next level now

Good luck :)
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on you loss so fare!! :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Well that is completely offensive. Can you imagine if we went around and did this to everyone who we didn't know their names. It would be like "hey big honker" or " hey, mullet" or "mr. baldy hey looka here" how about "hey midget". Sure weight is something that can change. I suppose a person can get a nose job or a hair cut, baldy can get a toupee or a wig, and I guess the midget is SOL. But, there is a reason we don't call people by characteristics that stand out. Most people don't want to be constantly reminded of them, even if they are perceived as a positive thing. I am pretty sure that is why we learn people's names or say something like hey you psst when we don't know someones name.

I think if people did this kind of thing to me a lot, I would let em have it. I would probably call them by their outstanding characteristic and if they didn't like being called pizza face or something like that, well I would give them the name of a dermatologist.
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Your progress so far is looking great, and how awesome that you and your wife are supporting each other! Curves is fantastic, by the way, I hope she sticks with it!

And, I think that people need to be a lot more aware of how their words affect others. You wouldn't go up to a woman, and say "hey, big lady!" It shouldn't be any different when it comes to a man.

I wish you the best of luck! Today's my first day on the site, and I'm still figuring it out, but it seems like a great community.
  • bethheyyy
    bethheyyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING! Keep it up!!! You are doing an awesome job!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!

& just try to keep in mind that those people who say that, whoever they may be.. probably don't understand the words they are saying are hurtful or offensive. We all have "trigger" words that carry some sort of cut when they hit us. But to a lot of people they throw those words having no intention of actually hurting. Simply ignorance. & to those who do intentionally hurt, well there state of well being is a lot worse off than yours. If anything, they need help, lots and lots of help and support and may be going through or have been something tragic and awful to spew such negativity and hatred. Anywho, who ever gained an ounce of anything good off concerning themselves with the thoughts of men? What a total waste of life and time. lol

I wish the best to you, your kiddos, and family. :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big guy, but I doubt I'll be called anything else.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and you are so lucky to have your partner doing it with you. I wish I did, would make it so much easier and he needs it more than I do.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big guy, but I doubt I'll be called anything else.

yeah but you're being called it for a different reason.
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Really great progress so far, and like you I've done many years behind a desk or driving the car. Friend request on the way!
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Awesome job man!! Feel free to add me, I was once the "big guy" as well and know what you mean! My friends would call be Big J and while they meant it as a term of endearment in the back of my mind I hated it.
  • mjs3974
    mjs3974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate it to I've lost 60+ pounds and they still call me big guy. I had lapband surgery and still have another 60 to go but even then I'll always be "Big Mike".