Is hitting a punching bag good cardio?

Options

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hold on, guys, we should listen to the dude who's been here for two days and is an expert at quoting wikipedia.
    wikipedia has only been around for 2 days? crazy.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's sad so many people here have no idea what cardio is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

"Aerobic exercise (also known as cardio) is physical exercise of relatively low intensity that depends primarily on the aerobic energy-generating process."

Now, what part of punching and kicking exactly meets that description??? Lets go a little bit further into this wormhole and see what non cardio definitions entail...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise (hint: NOT cardio)
    ok, they don't list any exercises, but lets see what boxing websites say...
    http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm

"Boxing is largely a fast paced, anaerobic event. You win fights by throwing punches. Punches are thrown at top speed. The term anaerobic means to conduct an activity without oxygen. Anaerobic exercise, like boxing, stresses muscles at a high intensity for short bursts. Essentially, this equates to the fast combinations that a fighter throws inside the ring. The aerobic portion of the match takes place when you circle the ring, perhaps catching a quick breath in between punches. Aerobic exercise is defined as lower intensity activities performed for longer periods. "

Again, for those who don't quite get it. Punching and other such high impact things like jumping, etc, are NOT cardio. there is no definition of cardio where they fit, unless you purposely go out of your way to slow them down enough that they become cardio. In which case, you might as well do cardio instead..

Boxing and the like would be similar to tabata type training. Or intervals. the idea is lactic acid threshold training. And though you can see cardio improvements with it, by definition, it is still not cardio...

You must be a blast at parties mate.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    no. because it's not cardio. unless you do it really slowly and don't put any force behind the punches and kicks. then it can be considered cardio.

Since when is it not cardio? You are moving constantly while kicking, and hitting a punching bag. It is very vigorous cardio. Who ever told you it wasn't cardio, lied.
    is sprinting cardio? hint: no.
    It takes quite an impressive effort to say something that stands out as really dumb on this site, and you have managed it twice in short order. Congrats.

Boxing is probably one of the most intense and effective forms of cardio you can do.

^^ Because it's worth saying one more time. :laugh:
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Are you breathing hard and sweating?
    Breathing hard and sweating does not indicate you were doing cardio.

ie: Weightlifting will make you breath hard and sweat. Sprinting will make you breath hard and sweat. etc etc.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Hold on, guys, we should listen to the dude who's been here for two days and is an expert at quoting wikipedia.

No, but it's open to any yahoo with ridiculous ideas to post just about whatever they want on it.

Tip: You want to sound credible? Use a better source than Wiki.
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Its awesome when your stressed
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

And apparently has no reading competency.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It totally is! :heart:
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    yeah it is good cardio when you do it over a period of time non stop. not very good if you do 2-3 punches or kicks then take a break.
  • phjorg1
    Options

No, but it's open to any yahoo with ridiculous ideas to post just about whatever they want on it.

Tip: You want to sound credible? Use a better source than Wiki.
    o.O

You do know any of the articles in them are sourced.

And besides the point, the workings of the body are quite well known. I mean, this is basic bio. It's laughable you're calling those links into question. Seriously laughable.
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels even says its cardio:)
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what it's classified under. It gets your heart pumping, burns fat and stress. As I said before, beat that bag like it owes you money.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    no. because it's not cardio. unless you do it really slowly and don't put any force behind the punches and kicks. then it can be considered cardio.

What are you smoking, dude?

If it gets your heart rate up, it's cardio. Wanna guess where the word comes from?

So yes, OP, it is cardio, and very good cardio, too.
    When you lift weights, your heartreate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you're scared, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you are in a hot place, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

you do understand that anything using fast twitch muscle fibers uses the ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems to do work right? that means by definition, NOT cardio.

Cardio is ONLY when your body is doing slower low impact stuff that uses Type I muscle.

Boxing and kickboxing and the like CAN be cardio. As long as you're not giving it your all punching and go slow and weak enough to last for a while without tiring. Otherwise if you do it in regards to sets and failure, you're doing the equivalent of sprinting.

Here's a hint. If you're feeling lactic acid buildup, then it's not cardio, as by definition you're using your lactic acid energy system.

So the 700 calories I burned snowboarding because I feared for my life flying down an icy mountain didn't count? Dammit!

I burned around 600 calories in less than an hour in my kickboxing class. I was not afraid of the heavy bag, so I'm gonna say they were honest calories burned, and I counted that as cardio. That being said, we also were doing burpees and push-ups and jumping from one end of the gym to the other before we hit the bags, but punching and kicking the bag still got my heartrate up. It's an awesome workout.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Okay wait a second... the dude has a point. It's anaerobic in nature if you're doing high intensity rounds on the bag. If you're bouncing around hitting at a pace you could keep up for 30 minutes, it's cardio. Boxing and kickboxing works both aerobically and anaerobically at times during the same workout.

It's "cardio" in the sense that it gets your HR up for sure, but it is often well over the lactate threshold during a full-on sparring round.

In the same way that MFP has a "cardio" entry for the burn from weight lifting.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Okay wait a second... the dude has a point. It's anaerobic in nature if you're doing high intensity rounds on the bag. If you're bouncing around hitting at a pace you could keep up for 30 minutes, it's cardio. Boxing and kickboxing works both aerobically and anaerobically at times during the same workout.

It's "cardio" in the sense that it gets your HR up for sure, but it is often well over the lactate threshold during a full-on sparring round.

thanks. But getting your heartrate up has zero bearing on if you're doing cardio or not. Just because it increases, does NOT mean it's a cardio activity. Thats all I'm trying to say. When I'm doing any strength training, my heartrate shoots through the roof. I would be laughed at if I said well obviously I'm doing cardio, my heartrate went up. Yet somehow boxing, which is also an anaerobic activity, suddenly is cardio because your heartrate goes up??? I don't get it.

Yes there are cardio components to it, if you decide to train for them as such. But I would not call that 'good' cardio. I would call that cardio accessory. I mean, there is a reason why boxers for their cardio, do NOT do boxing. If it were good cardio, then it seems they should do a lot of that for their cardio workouts, right? right? Nope, instead they run and skip. Because it's a better cardio workout.

Boxing is great lactic acid threshold training and a good calorie burn. And in general and all around great form of exercise to be doing. But it is not good cardio.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

What are you smoking, dude?

If it gets your heart rate up, it's cardio. Wanna guess where the word comes from?

So yes, OP, it is cardio, and very good cardio, too.
    When you lift weights, your heartreate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you're scared, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

when you are in a hot place, your heartrate goes up. Is that cardio too?

you do understand that anything using fast twitch muscle fibers uses the ATP-CP and lactic acid energy systems to do work right? that means by definition, NOT cardio.

Cardio is ONLY when your body is doing slower low impact stuff that uses Type I muscle.

Boxing and kickboxing and the like CAN be cardio. As long as you're not giving it your all punching and go slow and weak enough to last for a while without tiring. Otherwise if you do it in regards to sets and failure, you're doing the equivalent of sprinting.

Here's a hint. If you're feeling lactic acid buildup, then it's not cardio, as by definition you're using your lactic acid energy system.

Cardio = going slow?!!! That's the stupidest statement I've ever read!!!! You're on crack dude!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

thanks. But getting your heartrate up has zero bearing on if you're doing cardio or not. Just because it increases, does NOT mean it's a cardio activity. Thats all I'm trying to say. When I'm doing any strength training, my heartrate shoots through the roof. I would be laughed at if I said well obviously I'm doing cardio, my heartrate went up. Yet somehow boxing, which is also an anaerobic activity, suddenly is cardio because your heartrate goes up??? I don't get it.

Yes there are cardio components to it, if you decide to train for them as such. But I would not call that 'good' cardio. I would call that cardio accessory. I mean, there is a reason why boxers for their cardio, do NOT do boxing. If it were good cardio, then it seems they should do a lot of that for their cardio workouts, right? right? Nope, instead they run and skip. Because it's a better cardio workout.

Boxing is great lactic acid threshold training and a good calorie burn. It is not good cardio.

I totally understand what you're saying. But you are arguing over semantics on a fitness site. People equate "cardio" with "calorie burn" regardless of the textbook definition of cardiovascular conditioning or anaerobic conditioning. It's like the argument that muscle weighs more than fat :laugh:

You're just kind of coming off as combative and arrogant for something kind of insignificant. This site is generally very supportive. Just because we don't all know every scientific term doesn't make us morons. Consider "cardio" around here to be a slang term for "burn". :drinker:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I bet phjorg1 is a troll.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    So step aerobics isn't cardio either? Running? Cycling? Is the only cardio around tae chi or something
  • phjorg1
    Options
    So step aerobics isn't cardio either? Running? Cycling? Is the only cardio around tae chi or something
    it's cardio if the cardio energy systems is powering type I muscles. If this is not true, then it's not cardio.